D-Link DSL Modem/Routers > DSL-2740B

Problem with DSL-2740B

(1/1)

Snopandan:
I recently bought a D-link DLS-2740B router/ADSL-modem and it's been nothing but problems from the first day.
It seams to have a problem with giving my computers the DNS server address. Some times when I start my computers it works and some times it doesn't and I'll just have the routers address as DNS.
If a manually set the DNS then it works so it's probably something wrong with the routers DHCP.

I've also had a problem when trying tot connect to Xbox-live. When I run the network test on my Xbox it says that the routers MTU setting isn't high enough. It says that MTU must be set to a minimum of 1364 but when I check the settings on the router it says 1492.

This router model is on Microsoft's list over compatible routers but it also says with firmware 6.17.
My router has firmware version EU_5.14 and when I went over to Dlinks website to download the latest firmware it says that the latest one is 2.51 and when I tried to install this one I got a validation error.

Heres the link to Dlinks firmware download sorry it's in Swedish but maybe some of you will understand it.
Here's the xbox live router list in English.

I would really appreciate any help or advice you guys can give me.
Do you think there is something wrong with my router or is it just me who use the wrong settings or maybe something else entirely?

prx187:
Hello,

I had the same problem with the DNS. It was working perfectly with my first ADSL provider (VTX Switzerland), but when I change it (Sunrise) I had some DNS problems at least once a day like it is not automatically updated. (Skype was working but not the browser when accessing e.g. www.google.ch)

I decided to check the last firmware and it is working now.

For you firmware I guess your router is a Revision E (you have to check in the back on the label) and the last firmware revision is 5.17b49.

Check revision :
http://files.dlink.com.au/products/_images/REV_E.jpg
http://files.dlink.com.au/products/_images/REV_C.jpg

Firmware downloads:
In this link:  ftp://ftp.dlink.fr/DSL/DSL-2740B/Firmware/

you can see all firmwares for each revision. I do not know why it is available only from the french dlink site as I checked in the US and UK sites and this model (dsl-2740B) exist in one revision only (revC) or even does not exist (in USA).

Try to update your firmware to the last one now, and perhaps all other issues could be fixed as well.

It looks the dlink web sites are a mess as the firmwares are dependent of the country of residence. It is very annoying as with the web e-commerce now, anybody in Europe can have a hardware coming from any other EU country.

Hope this helps to clarify

FurryNutz:
Are you using the DSL-2740B with the DIR-615 router? Or are you using the DSL-2704B as a stand alone connection?

If your using the DSL with the DIR. You will see issues as you are using 2 routers on the same line and they are having to double NAT on each other and thus you might see connection issues. Its always recommended to have the following setup in these cases, The ISP modem should be a stand alone modem. If a router is built in, then it's preferred that the Modem/router be bridged, thus making the DSL a modem only and turning off the built in router. Then connecting to your preferred router, you would make the connection and use that router to do all the network traffic and use it's options as most routers have better features and options then some ISP modems. This will prevent the double NAT issue and should allow for good connections to gaming services. I believe the DLink Modem/router is probably just as good as the DIR. I might just use the DSL device alone and not use the DIR router. Just depends on what your doing.

Some routers do not automatically fill in the Primary and 2ndary DNS ip addresses in the Basic or Setup/Internet/Manual section. Look at the Status/Device Info/Wan section. You should find the DNS addressing here. Copy the addresses into the Basic or Setup/Internet/Manual section. This should push any DNS traffic to the PCs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version