• March 28, 2024, 03:04:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?  (Read 74261 times)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »

Trying to get an idea of the number of people that were able to resolve lock ups by disabling DNS relay.

Rift

• Level 1 Member
Re: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:26 AM »

Not sure if this counts but turning of DNS Relay did fix a Call of Duty 4 game issue I was having.

Basically with DNS Relay turned on whenever I would launch the game it would take at least 30
or more seconds to load it. I just turned it off and now the game loads instantly like it used to
under my old router.

EDIT: Okay this is odd or maybe I'm just not understanding something. I have DNS Relay turned off now and have manually put in the DNS servers on my LAN computers. But when my wireless computers connect to the network they act like DNS Relay is turned on. At this point if i remove the DNS server addresses from my LAN computers they still connect but not to the DNS servers I manually entered. When I check the routers network page DNS Relay is in fact turned off. Is this normal behavior or am I missing something here?

Rift
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:27:52 PM by Rift »

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:24:23 AM »

Considering the number of people in the freezing thread said that it worked for them, I am kind of surprised by the results of this poll.

Maybe freezes and stuff.  All I know is that I ran on 1.11 with an uptime of over a month.  I couldn't get more than 3-4 days on 1.31 with dns relay enabled.

Rift

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »

So anyone have any idea if what I wrote in my Edit is normal behavior? Is DNS Relay turning back on somehow even how its not checked off in the router options, or am I just missing something?

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:18 AM »

Considering the number of people in the freezing thread said that it worked for them, I am kind of surprised by the results of this poll.

Maybe freezes and stuff.  All I know is that I ran on 1.11 with an uptime of over a month.  I couldn't get more than 3-4 days on 1.31 with dns relay enabled.

DNS relay enabled, disabled makes no difference here: no crashes and an uptime of three weeks (since upgrading to 1.32beta)

kiccolsd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »

1.32 beta02 NA after disabling DNS Relay and automatic Update DIR655 Rocks! 3 weeks of continuos work without any issue!!

HazardX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »

I've been running version 1.2x (I forget which beta) for quite some time now.

However, I've got DNS relay disabled, as well as DHCP server, since I've got a linux box in my network handling DHCP, which also services DNS requests from network clients (rather than the '655), the DHCP/DNS server also bypasses the '655 by using a list of static DNS servers provided by my ISP.

The router only goes down when we lose power (in its current configuration).

Note that the seeming insanity of the setup was brought on by the need for gigabit router (the 655), -AND- working reliable DNS services (which I now have regardless of the network gateway device).

Before I gave up on using the 655 as a DHCP & DNS server, I experienced intermittent problems on various machines (windows, linux, and macs) in various ways, with DNS relay on -AND- off, though the problems would vary from sluggish-ness to failed resolves for things which CLEARLY shouldn't have failed, and some other strange behaviors.

Though, I suspect -PART- of the problem was the fact that the DHCP server on the 655 (when sending out DNS addresses to hosts as part of the DHCP message) would give out the address of 0.0.0.0 in addition to its own (or my static WAN-Side DNS server depending on the state of the DHCP relay setting). And as far as I could tell (not being a network expert by profession) this caused machines to intermittently be _VERY_ confused when they tried to ask 0.0.0.0 for a DNS resolve (I don't think they're SUPPOSED to be able to do so, but I suspect some were anyway).

Of course I could be mistaken about it handing out 0.0.0.0 as a valid DNS server through DHCP messages when DNS relay was on, though I don't think so. I am however *CERTAIN* that it did when DNS relay was off, it would mindlessly send both the primary static DNS address from the WAN port -AND- the secondary address without checking to see if they made any kind of sense first.

I'm happy with my current setup, though I also want to contribute to making the (otherwise very nice) router  actually usable as a router by itself, without having to reverse engineer the thing's behavior. :)

-HazardX

illusion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »

Sorry to sound like a Novice , but I have been facing problems with DNS but I am not sure whether it is relevant to this topic. I use my Dir 655 purely for WebSurfing needs. However from time to time I am encountering problems such as all of a sudden my webpages stop opening. This lasts for a minute or so and then voil everything is normal. However the point to note here is that torrents work beautifully all the time with no interrupts any time. I am sure it is a DNS problem. Is it because of the router or my ISP provider ? Please help. I am using F/W version 1.21 !

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »

Sorry to sound like a Novice , but I have been facing problems with DNS but I am not sure whether it is relevant to this topic. I use my Dir 655 purely for WebSurfing needs. However from time to time I am encountering problems such as all of a sudden my webpages stop opening. This lasts for a minute or so and then voil everything is normal. However the point to note here is that torrents work beautifully all the time with no interrupts any time. I am sure it is a DNS problem. Is it because of the router or my ISP provider ? Please help. I am using F/W version 1.21 !

So back in 1.21 there was an issue that was referred to as "DNS slowdown" where randomly it would take a while for sites to load.  This was fixed in 1.22B05 and then the fix was later introduced officially in 1.31. 

However, something seems to be wrong with the fix, because now instead of a slowdown, the router just freezes.  If I were you, I would stick with 1.21 and disable DNS relay.  That should solve the issue you are seeing. 

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 05:10:02 AM »

Since upgrading to the 1.3x series firmware the 655 will lock up between one and three days.  Prior to the 1.3x series I ran 1.21, and up time would be for at least a month usually much more.  DNS Relay was ENABLED.

Each time I try a different firmware version I first set the router to its default, upgrade, and then manually input all the settings again.  While these steps are tedious it allows me to make sure that I am not making any mistakes or over looking anything that could cause or help the problem.  (After the unit locks up I try an older saved settings file just to verify that I have the same behavior.)

I have just upgraded to 1.32 (non-beta), and have disabled DNS relay.  In three days to a week I can have a rough guess if DNS Relay makes any difference.  I have also tried upgrading the router with different web browsers to verify there were not issues from that direction.

One thing I do want to point out is that when DNS Relay is disabled, after a period of time, 0.0.0.0 starts showing up multiple times below the current DNS server addresses.  So far I have seen up to three sets of 0.0.0.0 under the current DNS server addresses.  This appears when I run ipconfig /all.  (Vista x64 SP1).

HazardX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

One thing I do want to point out is that when DNS Relay is disabled, after a period of time, 0.0.0.0 starts showing up multiple times below the current DNS server addresses.  So far I have seen up to three sets of 0.0.0.0 under the current DNS server addresses.  This appears when I run ipconfig /all.  (Vista x64 SP1).

This mirrors what I recall seeing, and what I suspect as being problematic with linux boxes and Apple's OSX.

Though in itself, having 0.0.0.0 show up in host's DNS resolver config is COMPLETELY unrelated to the use DNS relay (or not) setting in the router. DNS relay should only (from the internal side) result in sending the router's IP (Versus whatever the ISP tells the router its DNS IPs are) directly. The 0.0.0.0 thing appears to me to be a strangely configured DHCP server (on the router).

jdacian72

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 04:34:34 AM »

Disabling DNS Relay worked for me... I have been using 1.31 for over a month since I setup my 655 and have been dealing wth it locking up every evening. Since disabling it, I've been up continuously for 5 days straight without any issues.

Kicking myself because I know better than to use the latest REV of ANYTHING... Guess I was just too excited to have my 655...  :-\

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »

After three days the router is still up but the DNS on my computer is starting to show more odd IP addresses.  At one point my computers IP 192.168.30.150 was also listed, though that is currently not the case.  The computer was restarted one hour prior to this screen shot.

bananaman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »

I made it just over four days before freezing with 1.32NA and DNS Relay enabled.

I've disabled DNS relay... we'll see how that goes.

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »

The router still has not crashed with DNS relay disabled, but it really has been to short of a time period to tell.  However the DNS info keeps getting weirder and longer.  The image below is 1min after startup after an ipconfig /flushdns command, followed by a release and a renew command.  The 203 servers are the correct DNS servers.  The same DNS information is appearing on multiple computers.  (Three to be exact, 1 vista sp 1 x64, 1 vista sp 1 x86, and 1 xp sp3.  All different brand network adapters.

Any ideas?  When in relay is enabled could the router be getting stuck searching for DNS information then pages time out?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8