• April 16, 2024, 05:01:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: DCS-932L - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 493798 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-932L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #240 on: December 23, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »

This wishlist contains firmware suggestions provided by the forum community and may not reflect actual changes to current or future D-Link firmware releases. Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue.

DCS-932L Wishlist

• General - Ability to upload to web/cloud storage (e.g. Amazon S3, Windows Azure, SkyDrive)
  • General - Add simple web UI page dedicated to viewing video via a web browser with ability to view video full-screen (albeit at a low resolution)
  • General - Add sound detection functionality with controls and scheduling similar to motion detection (see comprehensive description here)
  • General - Disable telnet and enable SSH for command line access
  • General - Display full firmware version (including build) in upper right corner of all web interface pages
  • General - Option to include thumbnail sized logo on corner of all screenshots
  • General - SMB Support
  • Email/FTP - Ability to configure JPEG parameters for image quality
  • Email/FTP - Ability to independently specify different resolution for images sent via email versus FTP
  • FTP - Test message should appear on the FTP setup page following a refresh (currently requires iterating through 3 pages and back)
  • Image/Video - Add "2" FPS option to the FPS drop-down menu (currently 1, 5, 7, 15, 20, 30)
  • Image/Video - Additional image settings (e.g. color, temperature, tint, Sharpness, etc.)
  • Image/Video - Audio and video RTSP Streaming (.cgi is not the best solution for protocols like VLC)
  • Image/Video - Auto light exposure option
  • Image/Video - Digital image pan
  • Image/Video - Independent brightness settings for Day Mode and Night Mode
  • Motion Detection - More detailed grid (i.e. smaller boxes) to improve motion detection area selection
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection email on a user defined schedule
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection FTP on a schedule
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection indicator integrated in the web interface to more easily (and accurately) adjust sensitivity
  • Motion Detection - User defined frame capture rate for motion detection emails (independent of video FPS)
  • Motion Detection - User defined minimal interval between motion detection emails (to avoid flood of emails during a prolonged motion detection event) (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes)
  • mydlink - mydlink registration independent of device configuration wizard
  • Night Mode - Ability to adjust the light level required to trigger the transition between Day and Night Modes
  • Night Mode - Ability to disable the IR illuminators (for owners who use external IR illuminators and want avoid reflections off of glass surfaces)
  • Night Mode - Option to temporarily disable motion detection during the transition between day/night mode
  • Scheduling - Ability to schedule events with more granularity (e.g. schedule specific hours for each day and grouping weekday versus weekend schedules)
  • Scheduling - Camera start/shut-down on a schedule
  • Scheduling - Reboot on a schedule
  • Security - Ability to disable broadcasting of video/audio feed (i.e. to prevent potential hijacking of feed)
  • Security - Add ability to enable/disable HTTPS port
  • Security - Add ability to save log files to track camera activity and troubleshoot issues
  • Security - Add ability to modify non-admin user privileges (e.g. ability for user to enable/disable night mode and sound)
  • Security - Email log of successful and unsucessful access attempts
  • Security - Support for WPA2 Enterprise (Radius)
  • Security - Support for secure broadcasting of video/audio feed (SSL, HTTPS)
  • Security - User and admin password lengths are too short
  • Security - When logged in, the Admin user account and mobile device account users do not display under "STATUS > Active User  > USER LIST" table
  • Status - Add more detail to status page (e.g. email enabled or ftp enabled, motion detection enabled, uptime, etc.)
  • Status - Status page containing the number and type of connections currently served and actual time/operational status (Current JavaScript implementation falsely reports connection time by incrementing counter when camera is powered off)
  • Status - Track and display total uptime and total running time
  • Time - Include "Update Now" button when the Synchronize NTP SErver" option is selected during time configuration
  • Time - Retain "NTP Server Used" in memory
  • Time - Support for 24 hour time format
  • Time - Timezone changes should be immediately effective without a camera reboot (changes currently require a reboot)
  • Time - Use last known time following power failure
  • Time - Option to include date and time stamps on captured images
  • [Bug] UPnP - When UPnP forwarding is disabled, the DCS-932L still creates UPnP ports on the host router (This creates potential conflicts with other services)

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank You!)

• General - Daylight savings time support [FIXED!]
  • General - Timezone configuration does not function properly. When timezone is changed, the device gets confused and fails to sync the correct time (see original post here)  [FIXED!]
  • Audio - Resolve intermittent background audio clicking [FIXED!]
  • [Bug] Password - Passwords created that exceed the maximum length (8 characters) are not rejected, only the first 8 characters are accepted (firmware should reject the password and generate an error message) [FIXED!]
  • Video - The "Zoom" function in the web UI should magnify the video image from the center of the frame rather than the top left corner [FIXED!]
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

mrgoddard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #241 on: December 23, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

Okay.  Thanks.

Found one alternative to unplugging (without having to reboot the camera each time) - cover it with a dark cloth/bag.  That's high-tech for you.

Darn, these things work pretty good to...  So close to being exactly what I need.  Are there any D-Link or other brand cameras that offer MotionDetection within a scheduled period?  Since you cannot tell from their product description - its hit or miss unless someone knows from experience.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »

Okay.  Thanks.

Found one alternative to unplugging (without having to reboot the camera each time) - cover it with a dark cloth/bag.  That's high-tech for you.

Darn, these things work pretty good to...  So close to being exactly what I need.  Are there any D-Link or other brand cameras that offer MotionDetection within a scheduled period?  Since you cannot tell from their product description - its hit or miss unless someone knows from experience.

Most of the new D-Link Cloud cameras contain this functionality: The DCS-933L is the successor to the DCS-932L. The DCS-931L is identical to the DCS-933L, except there is no Night Mode (i.e. night vision). The DCS-5010L and DCS-5020L are day/night cameras with pan/tilt functionality.

mrgoddard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #243 on: December 24, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »

I was a brand new customer for D-Link (and surveillance cameras in general).  For the lousy $10 I would have gone with the DCS-933L from the beginning, but did not know that camera even existed nor that this one feature was part of that upgrade!  This has been a vast waste of time and energy - D-Link just needs to make it clear what features their cameras offer!  Much frustration could have been avoided...  And now sending these cameras back...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #244 on: December 24, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »

I was a brand new customer for D-Link (and surveillance cameras in general).  For the lousy $10 I would have gone with the DCS-933L from the beginning, but did not know that camera even existed nor that this one feature was part of that upgrade!  This has been a vast waste of time and energy - D-Link just needs to make it clear what features their cameras offer!  Much frustration could have been avoided...  And now sending these cameras back...

I wouldn't call the DCS-933L an upgrade, as that implies it's the same camera with some additional functionality. The DCS-933L is a completely new camera. D-Link offers a rather large product line of cameras with a range of different functionality. When taken as a whole, the selection can be rather overwhelming. I typically recommend that prospective buyers download the user manual from the D-Link site before making their purchase to better understand the product.

Also, please keep in mind that the DCS-933L was only recently released, while the DCS-932L is a rather old camera by D-Link standards, dating back to early 2011.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #245 on: December 26, 2013, 05:57:05 AM »

This wishlist contains firmware suggestions provided by the forum community and may not reflect actual changes to current or future D-Link firmware releases. Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue.

DCS-932L Wishlist

• General - Ability to upload to web/cloud storage (e.g. Amazon S3, Windows Azure, SkyDrive)
  • General - Add simple web UI page dedicated to viewing video via a web browser with ability to view video full-screen (albeit at a low resolution)
  • General - Add sound detection functionality with controls and scheduling similar to motion detection (see comprehensive description here)
  • General - Display full firmware version (including build) in upper right corner of all web interface pages
  • General - SMB Support
  • Email/FTP - Ability to independently specify different resolution for images sent via email versus FTP
  • FTP - Test message should appear on the FTP setup page following a refresh (currently requires iterating through 3 pages and back)
  • Image/Video - Add "2" FPS option to the FPS drop-down menu (currently 1, 5, 7, 15, 20, 30)
  • Image/Video - Additional image settings (e.g. color, temperature, tint, Sharpness, etc.)
  • Image/Video - Audio and video RTSP Streaming (.cgi is not the best solution for protocols like VLC)
  • Motion Detection - More detailed grid (i.e. smaller boxes) to improve motion detection area selection
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection indicator integrated in the web interface to more easily (and accurately) adjust sensitivity
  • Motion Detection - User defined frame capture rate for motion detection emails (independent of video FPS)
  • Motion Detection - User defined minimal interval between motion detection emails (to avoid flood of emails during a prolonged motion detection event) (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes)
  • Night Mode - Ability to adjust the light level required to trigger the transition between Day and Night Modes
  • Night Mode - Ability to disable the IR illuminators (for owners who use external IR illuminators and want avoid reflections off of glass surfaces)
  • Night Mode - Option to temporarily disable motion detection during the transition between day/night mode
  • Scheduling - Ability to schedule events with more granularity (e.g. schedule specific hours for each day and grouping weekday versus weekend schedules)
  • Security - Ability to disable broadcasting of video/audio feed (i.e. to prevent potential hijacking of feed)
  • Security - Add ability to save log files to track camera activity and troubleshoot issues
  • Security - Add ability to modify non-admin user privileges (e.g. ability for user to enable/disable night mode and sound)
  • Security - When logged in, the Admin user account and mobile device account users do not display under "STATUS > Active User  > USER LIST" table
  • Status - Add more detail to status page (e.g. email enabled or ftp enabled, motion detection enabled, uptime, etc.)
  • Status - Status page containing the number and type of connections currently served and actual time/operational status (Current JavaScript implementation falsely reports connection time by incrementing counter when camera is powered off)
  • Time - Include "Update Now" button when the Synchronize NTP SErver" option is selected during time configuration
  • Time - Timezone changes should be immediately effective without a camera reboot (changes currently require a reboot)
  • [Bug] UPnP - When UPnP forwarding is disabled, the DCS-932L still creates UPnP ports on the host router (This creates potential conflicts with other services)

• General - Timezone configuration does not function properly. When timezone is changed, the device gets confused and fails to sync the correct time (see original post here)  [FIXED!]
  • [Bug] Password - Passwords created that exceed the maximum length (8 characters) are not rejected, only the first 8 characters are accepted (firmware should reject the password and generate an error message) [FIXED!]
  • Video - The "Zoom" function in the web UI should magnify the video image from the center of the frame rather than the top left corner [FIXED!]

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #246 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »

You've asked for it and D-Link has delivered. Firmware v1.07b02 is now out and includes motion detection on a schedule.

mrgclark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:30 AM »

Well... I'm stunned, but happy with the addition of motion detection schedule. It's really the only thing on the whole list that I personally wanted.

On testing it seems to work OK. Just one point, when I first set a schedule it didn't work. Probably because the current time was already between the start and stop times. I'm guessing it just sets system events to turn it on and off. When I tested it again by setting the start time a few minutes from the time when I saved the changes, it did start detecting motion at the set time. I would have thought that when you saved the schedule settings that it would detect from the system time whether it was inside the set interval and turn detection on or off accordingly, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I guess I can live with that as long as I know.

sip06pp

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2014, 12:56:39 AM »

I have 5 x DCS-932L installed at home. I upgraded all last night. Waiting to see motion detection by schedule..

I think we can remove these from this list:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:59:34 AM by sip06pp »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2014, 04:58:13 AM »

I have 5 x DCS-932L installed at home. I upgraded all last night. Waiting to see motion detection by schedule..

I think we can remove these from this list:

Updated. . . . ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2014, 04:59:32 AM »

DCS-932L Wishlist

• General - SMB Support

• Motion Detection - Motion detection email on a user defined schedule [FIXED!]
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection FTP on a schedule [FIXED!]

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:28 AM »

Well... I'm stunned, but happy with the addition of motion detection schedule. It's really the only thing on the whole list that I personally wanted.

I think we're all pleasantly surprised and DCS-930L owners were provided with a similar update  ;D
D-Link started the year on a good note!

On testing it seems to work OK. Just one point, when I first set a schedule it didn't work. Probably because the current time was already between the start and stop times. I'm guessing it just sets system events to turn it on and off. When I tested it again by setting the start time a few minutes from the time when I saved the changes, it did start detecting motion at the set time. I would have thought that when you saved the schedule settings that it would detect from the system time whether it was inside the set interval and turn detection on or off accordingly, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I guess I can live with that as long as I know.

Please repost your comments on the DCS-932L - Firmware v1.07b02 - Comments & Observations thread. Thanks!  ;)

sip06pp

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »

Hello all,

1. I tested Motion detection on e-mails with schedule last night. Glad to say all went fine including option for time interval between e-mails. My camera email only had about 200 e-mails per day during that time (that i was awake and moving all around the house) in contrast of 5000+ emails per day i had before this option since the cameras are in the house and captured movement 24/7
2. Firmware update usually failed from powerline devices that i have for some cameras but this time it all went smooth !
Thank u D-link for this update.

Note: Motion detection still occurs when sunrise but it is not a big hassle.

So i think we can remove the following from list:

1.Motion Detection - User defined minimal interval between motion detection emails (to avoid flood of emails during a prolonged motion detection event) (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes) - included in seconds in new firmware
2.Night Mode - Ability to disable the IR illuminators (for owners who use external IR illuminators and want avoid reflections off of glass surfaces) - This can be disabled by setting Day/Night Mode to either Always day mode or Manual where u can control on/off IR from video live page.

For me now the biggest issue is e-mail and FTP with video snapshot. Not only pictures. This will increase significantly security from these cameras in case of theft or force entry!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:31:48 AM by sip06pp »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »

Hello all,

1. I tested Motion detection on e-mails with schedule last night. Glad to say all went fine including option for time interval between e-mails. My camera email only had about 200 e-mails per day during that time (that i was awake and moving all around the house) in contrast of 5000+ emails per day i had before this option since the cameras are in the house and captured movement 24/7
2. Firmware update usually failed from powerline devices that i have for some cameras but this time it all went smooth !
Thank u D-link for this update.

I think we're all thrilled with this update, as it breathes new life into this camera.  ;)

So i think we can remove the following from list:

1.Motion Detection - User defined minimal interval between motion detection emails (to avoid flood of emails during a prolonged motion detection event) (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes) - included in seconds in new firmware
2.Night Mode - Ability to disable the IR illuminators (for owners who use external IR illuminators and want avoid reflections off of glass surfaces) - This can be disabled by setting Day/Night Mode to either Always day mode or Manual where u can control on/off IR from video live page.

I'll remove the first item, but don't think the second item is addressed. The camera needs an explicit setting to disable the IR illuminator while enabling Night Mode (via scheduling or Auto).

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »

DCS-932L Wishlist

• General - SMB Support

• Motion Detection - User defined minimal interval between motion detection emails (to avoid flood of emails during a prolonged motion detection event) (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes) [FIXED!]
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection email on a user defined schedule [FIXED!]
  • Motion Detection - Motion detection FTP on a schedule [FIXED!]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20