• March 29, 2024, 03:08:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: File Permissions Issues  (Read 12551 times)

dblv

• Level 1 Member
Re: File Permissions Issues
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 04:23:47 PM »

Have same file permissions issue. Clearly not unique to one person or their configuration. Believe is may have shown up after upgrading firmware. Didn't check this function prior to upgrade.

I can't change any permissions on files and all are named with standard Windows file naming conventions.

Clearly a problem that shouldn't be occurring.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:55:30 PM by dblv »

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 06:42:50 AM »

I noticed that after updating to 1.05, that users I had previously setup to not be able to access certain files can now browse to any location.  What's up with that?  For example, here is my setup.

Share             Path              User/Group
Volume_1       Volume_1       Me
A                   Volume_1/A   Wife

And yet, if I map the "A" share in windows on my wife's laptop, she can simply move up a directory and can see everything in Volume_1.

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:51:20 AM »

I noticed that after updating to 1.05, that users I had previously setup to not be able to access certain files can now browse to any location.  What's up with that?  For example, here is my setup.

Share             Path              User/Group
Volume_1       Volume_1       Me
A                   Volume_1/A   Wife

And yet, if I map the "A" share in windows on my wife's laptop, she can simply move up a directory and can see everything in Volume_1.

Well, I found the problem.  The permissions for Share A was set at 777  ... hmmm

mbelli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »

I've given up, I've had file sharing issues for a long time now and can't access folders on the DNS-323 over half my networked PCs. I installed two 500-Gig drives just for media streaming and can't access these drives most of the time for one reason or another.

In particular, Vista and the DNS323 give me lots of problems over my WiFi network and having tried absolutely everything in the FAQ's and forum tips, I've finally given up. The DNS-323 works okay as an FTP server though, so I'm pulling the two drives off and installing a small 160 gig drive for FTP use in the next week or so (better than just throwing it out).

I loved this unit when I first bought it as it seems to work well wired directly over ethernet. But over a wifi network it takes too long to tinker with to get it working. I can't afford any more time and as most here know, configuring a network is hard enough, without the addition of a problematic device.

Some of the main problems I've had now encountered over wifi, having owned this unit for over 6-months include:

- inability to access folders, plain and simple -- just can't get into them

- file permission nightmares, I'm tired of reformatting, resetting to factory defaults and still things don't work properly over my home network

- creating RAID sets, I've given up here as well, the RAID option won't allow me the creation of stripped sets even though the drives are the same make, model and size, so I'm forced to configure each independently, can't gang them together

I have a few other devices over my wifi, including a streaming media box from MediaGate and none of these give me the file sharing and access problems the DNS-323 gives me. Maybe, all problems are solvable with this unit, but you have to jump through hoops and the time involved is way more than it should be.

I do look forward to new firmware revisions though, hoping that things will be fixed eventually.

Dwaynem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »

>:(   Yes, ditto on all you have said.  I implemente the DNS343 on my network and my graphics department is fully using it, mostly macs, and many of the folders end up with one of the mac users 'owning' it, and other users can only 'read'.  i still can't figure out how o reset permissions, tried ftp and all attempts fail unless I log on as the specific user tha has ownership.

Damned frustrating!

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »

Personally, I have 3 wired computers running Windows 7 (32 and 64 bits)
I also got 1 VM running Windows XP SP3,
2 laptops... Vista Home Premium and Windows 7
1 Media Center
1 MacBook Pro
1 WDTVLive
1 XBox
1 Xbox 360

The Media Center, the Xbox 360 and all Laptops access the DNS-323 wirelessly and I have no problem
accessing / streaming my files / video / music to any of them.
1 Laptop is connecting using 802.11g and the rest 802.11n using WPA2 encryption

All my wired Devices are also working fine and no problem streaming BluRay HD movies to my WDTVLive.

I will also mention that this is done using 3 routers:
WRT300N with DD-WRT installe
WRT610N with stock firmware
WRT54G with DD-WRT acting as an AP for wireless only (no wired connection)

the WRT610N is cascaded with my WRT310N, the 310 being my "main" router,
and the DNS-323 connected to the 610N

Go only problem I have wit the DNS-323 is that it does NOT allows "anonymous" and "passworded" shares at the same time....

darthwhit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13312.0

This worked for me. Good luck.
Pages: 1 [2]