• April 16, 2024, 01:34:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HOW TO: Remote NAS to NAS backup ???  (Read 22947 times)

rjensen

• Level 1 Member
HOW TO: Remote NAS to NAS backup ???
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »

Firmware Version 1.03 provides the functionality to conduct "Remote NAS to NAS backup".

I would like to backup my DNS-343 onto a Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo.

Well, I have tried to configure this functionality, both from the DNS-343 or from the LinkStation, and haven't even gotten to first base.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated?

Thanks,
Roy Jensen

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: HOW TO: Remote NAS to NAS backup ???
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:58:27 AM »

You must use RSYNC. If your buffalo does not have RSYNC then it is not possible.

rjensen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »

DLM

Thanks. The Linkstation can apparently be moded to include rsync. Working on this. (Maybe the mod will actually turn off the HD when they are not in use! but that's another story.) Both do function as ftp servers. Is there a way to use ftp -- the backups will always be manually started.

Actually -- admitting my ignorance -- I have NO IDEA how to actually configure the DNS-343. Like, what commands to enter on the config page. (Well, I can figure out the ones that let me browse to a folder on the local NAS.)

Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:19:55 AM by rjensen »

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:06:26 AM »

Hello,

I am also interested in the answer to this question.  I am having trouble with configuration - the settings pages are not clear (source vs destination is confusing on these pages).

In my case, I have two DNS-343s, and I would like to back one up to the other.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Alain

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »

The source is the unit you are backing up and the destination is the unit being used for backup storage.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

rjensen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »

The source is the unit you are backing up and the destination is the unit being used for backup storage.

With respect, pretend we are completely ignorant and tell us what to enter in every box.

Pretend I have two NAS's:
  • one at 192.168.55.200 called 'server' with Volume_1 and numerous subfolders
  • one at 192.168.55.250 called 'serverbackup' with Volume_1

I want to backup everything on server to serverbackup.

Thanks,
Roy Jensen

Iggy214

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »

I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support sharing my PC screen with them and let them configure the remote back up. They couldn't do it!!! They escalated me to a higher level of support - same results. At the end guy told me that they have to revise the firmware for this section to get it working. He was being confused as well what to put in every box.
Little hint. If you need to remotely backup to DNS-343, you can do that by login into "Applications" instead of "Configuration" and setup "scheduling" with your other server. It worked fine for me from the first try, but apparently, this is not what i need. I need a reverse operation to backup from DNS-343

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »

With respect, pretend we are completely ignorant and tell us what to enter in every box.

Pretend I have two NAS's:
  • one at 192.168.55.200 called 'server' with Volume_1 and numerous subfolders
  • one at 192.168.55.250 called 'serverbackup' with Volume_1

I want to backup everything on server to serverbackup.

Thanks,
Roy Jensen

Step 1: On your Server DNS-343 (192.168.55.200), Login to the Web UI. Go to Advanced > Remote Backup.
Step 2: Select Source, type in a password. Click Apply.
Step 3: Under Source Share Path, Type in a name for your backup location. This can be anything, so for this example lets just use, "Backup".
Step 4. Click the browse button under Source Share Path, locate the directory you wish to backup. If it is the entire volume select Volume_1 and click OK. Click APPLY
Step 5: Click the START REMOTE SERVER button to turn on RSYNC Sharing.. Verify that your share paths are listed at the bottom.
Step 6: Now on your Server Backup Unit (192.168.55.250), login to the Web UI.
Step 7: Select Destination, enter 192.168.55.200 in the Source IP field.
Step 8: Enter the password you typed in on your Soure boxe earlier.
Step 9: Click the Browse box next to the Save to  path and select a directory that you would like to save your Backups to.
Step 10: If you do not want to overwrite existing files, make sure to click the Keep existing files checkbox.
Step 11: Click Apply.
Step 12: Once you have clicked apply, your Rsync Client (192.168.55.250) should connect to your Source Server (192.168.55.200), if it has not connected please hit the refresh button on your browser.
Step 13: At the bottom will be a Destination List, put a checkbox next to the Folders  you wish to backup. These should be the same folders/labels as you created on your Source box (192.168.55.200) earlier.
Step 14: Once you have placed a checkbox in the folder list, Click the backup button.

Your client backup box should now be downloading from your source server box.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »

Hopefully my wall of text doesn't burn any retnas :).

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »

What is the difference/benefit of using the remote backup vs. scheduled downloads? 
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »

Encrypted data. Ability to do it remotely over the internet.

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 04:59:37 AM »

Thank you for the help - thanks to this thread, I have been able to set up NAS to NAS backup.

During the backup, one of the drives usually freezes (but that's another thread!).

But when it is successful, I'm seeing strange behaviour.

Example:  I have set a directory as one of the sources for backup.  It contains about 25 large movie files (15-30 GB each).  The weird thing is that it only backs up the first file and says "Remote Backup Complete".  Never does the other files.  This is a directory with no further directory structure.

Other  incomplete backups occur (but reporting success) with more complicated subdirectory structures.

Anyone seeing this?  Any advice?

Thanks

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »

Thank you for the help - thanks to this thread, I have been able to set up NAS to NAS backup.

During the backup, one of the drives usually freezes (but that's another thread!).

But when it is successful, I'm seeing strange behaviour.

Example:  I have set a directory as one of the sources for backup.  It contains about 25 large movie files (15-30 GB each).  The weird thing is that it only backs up the first file and says "Remote Backup Complete".  Never does the other files.  This is a directory with no further directory structure.

Other  incomplete backups occur (but reporting success) with more complicated subdirectory structures.

Anyone seeing this?  Any advice?

Thanks

I have seen this scenario before but I believe I could only produce it with extremely heavy loads on one of the networks. Basically the connection between boxes gets severed. As soon as I get a chance I will double check the issue. Also can you confirm if you are running both boxes locally or is one remote?

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

They are side by side on the same subnet with fixed IP addresses plugged into the same gigabit switch.

Thanks for looking into this.

boey2891

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 01:16:12 AM »

both NAS must be DNS 343 ? I have a DNS 323 and one DNS 343 , thinking of backup my data from DNS 343 to DNS 323 , what should I do ? I had try using the method in this thread but fail. please advice
Pages: [1] 2