• April 16, 2024, 11:11:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unable to create a basic configuration raid 5 - DNS-343  (Read 19709 times)

skelm

• Level 1 Member
Re: Unable to create a basic configuration raid 5 - DNS-343
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »

4. Remove the HDD's from the unit and use a disk utility to remove *all* partitions that appear on each HDD.  Windows Disk Management, Paragon, or other HDD utility should allow you to do this.

Do you remove the partitions through the DNS? Or are you suggesting another solution to connect the drives to remove partitions

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

Hi skelm,

I've had to physically remove the HDD's from the DNS-343 and connect each individual HDD to my workstation and delete *any/all* partitions that appear using a disk utility such as Windows Disk Management, Paragon, etc.

IMHO, the DNS-343 should have a subset of Disk Management utilities to test SMART, Remove partitions, clear RAID config, etc.

Cheers,

gavro

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 09:15:12 AM »

Hi hilaireg and thanks for suggestion,I've done as you wrote, but I received the same result.Step by step:
>>>1. Save your DNS-343 Configuration.---->no critical
>>>2. Reset your DNS-343 to factory default.-----> done successfuly.
>>>3. Power-down the DNS-343.-----------------> OK.
>>>4. Remove the HDD's from the unit and use a disk utility to remove *all* partitions that appear on each HDD.  Windows Disk Management, Paragon, or other HDD utility should allow you to do this.----->so OK, I've put them into windows machine and delete all partition via disk management.
>>>5. Insert your HDD's back in the unit - preferably not in the same bays they were in.--->I rotate HDDs possition in bays.
>>>6. Power-on the DNS-343.------>OK.
>>>7. Run the Wizard Configuration utility to prepare your HDD's.------->OK.

>>>If you log into the DNS-343 and are presented with a message that the HDD's are in the incorrect order, change the Address Bar URL in your web browser to:

http://<DNS343>/web/formatHD/raid_wizard0.asp?id=4773971

<DNS343> = The NetBIOS name of your DNS-343 or IP Address
-------------> no need, no message appeared....

I started formating process again , when process reach 94% system restart the format process ???!!! from beginning (seems try to format again? )  and after aprox.20min. stalled at 94% definitely.

I repeated step 1-7 and try to format RAID1. Success. Than I think, DNS-343 has a serious problem to create RAID5 on HDDs over 1TB. (Total capacity of RAID5 is over 2TB in this case and some "FakeRAID" controllers has a problem with this)

Have somebody any other idea how to create RAID5 ?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:13:36 AM »

Hi gavro,

I'll assume you're running f/w 1.02; it's odd that the "Incorrect Order/Bays" message did not appear - couple of questions:

1) Were you able to format each HDD as a separate Volume? 

2) For clarification, how many RAID1 sets do you have; I'm assuming it should be two - a Volume 1 and a Volume 2

Cheers,

dajeepster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »

I started formating process again , when process reach 94% system restart the format process ???!!! from beginning (seems try to format again? )  and after aprox.20min. stalled at 94% definitely.

I repeated step 1-7 and try to format RAID1. Success. Than I think, DNS-343 has a serious problem to create RAID5 on HDDs over 1TB. (Total capacity of RAID5 is over 2TB in this case and some "FakeRAID" controllers has a problem with this)

Have somebody any other idea how to create RAID5 ?

I was able to create a raid5 with three 1 terabyte drives, but when I went with four drives I got the same problem.... I hope this is helpful.

i'm working on trying to get mine to work with four drives....... I'm using the Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drives

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »

skelm/gavro/dajeepster,

Can you take a moment to verify the HDD manufacturer website to see if your HDD's are at the latest firmware levels?

If not and you're comfortable updating firmware, try updating the HDD firmware and let us know if you can get it to format RAID5 /w four HDD's.

Also let us know if the HDD's your using are all the same or mix'n'match.

Cheers,

dajeepster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »

skelm/gavro/dajeepster,

Can you take a moment to verify the HDD manufacturer website to see if your HDD's are at the latest firmware levels?

If not and you're comfortable updating firmware, try updating the HDD firmware and let us know if you can get it to format RAID5 /w four HDD's.

Also let us know if the HDD's your using are all the same or mix'n'match.

Cheers,

unless they have firmware 1.03 out... there's nothing for me to update to.

but as to my problem.  I got it to work.
Here's what I did after it got stuck on 94%.
I held the power button on the DNS-343 down for a few seconds... afterwords I got a message stating "System Halting...."
I left and came back in about 15minutes.  The "System Halting..." message was still being displayed on the DNS-343, so at this point i disconnected power from the rear of unit and waiting 30 seconds and plugged powerback in the unit.  I turned on the unit and waited for the display that showed that I had all four drives installed.
at this point I went to my computer and logged into the unit.  it showed that I had all four drives.  I reinitialized the four drives into a raid5 and went through the process again for formating them.   I think I took a nap during this time and went to the grocery store... but when I went back and checked... I had the window that said i needed to restart.  I restarted from the window, and a few minutes later I was off and running with 3 terabytes of storage in a raid5 set up.
i'm now transferring files over...

so..
my method worked for me.  I think I had the same issue with my DNS-323 and I did this same method and it worked

hope this is helpful to someone.

dajeepster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »

unless they have firmware 1.03 out... there's nothing for me to update to.

but as to my problem.  I got it to work.
Here's what I did after it got stuck on 94%.
I held the power button on the DNS-343 down for a few seconds... afterwords I got a message stating "System Halting...."
I left and came back in about 15minutes.  The "System Halting..." message was still being displayed on the DNS-343, so at this point i disconnected power from the rear of unit and waiting 30 seconds and plugged powerback in the unit.  I turned on the unit and waited for the display that showed that I had all four drives installed.
at this point I went to my computer and logged into the unit.  it showed that I had all four drives.  I reinitialized the four drives into a raid5 and went through the process again for formating them.   I think I took a nap during this time and went to the grocery store... but when I went back and checked... I had the window that said i needed to restart.  I restarted from the window, and a few minutes later I was off and running with 3 terabytes of storage in a raid5 set up.
i'm now transferring files over...

so..
my method worked for me.  I think I had the same issue with my DNS-323 and I did this same method and it worked

hope this is helpful to someone.

oh yeah... I formatted using EXT3

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 09:46:21 AM »

Hi 'dajeepster',

Good to hear you got it working ... not conventional but hey, it's working!   My previous post wasn't as clear as it should have been; meant what is the firmware level of the HDD you are using and does the manufacturer of the HDD's have a newer version on their site.

Cheers,

gavro

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »

Hi hilaireg/all others/ i hope you've a nice X-mas. Thanks a lot for your interes and suggestions. Momentaly I work on DNS-343 with Raid1 configuration on four disks, Volume_1 and Volume_2 was created with ext2 partition's type (better performance). Due to I have more than 300GB of very important data on both volumes I don't plan to change a configuration or raid on storage, but , on the rest , I must say that I'm little confused and very disappointed with DNS-343. I'm contrite, I didn't buy a "Altos easyStore 4 Terabytes. NAS Box with 4x 1TB SATA 2 HDDs on Acer Hot Swap carrier. RAID 0,1,10,5 support, 256MB cache, 1x LAN ports, 2x USB connectors, 1x Client License DiskSafe Express Backup & Recovery. 3 Years Carry-In Warranty." as I've thinking before....Have a nice a rest of year and good luck in the new one...
Pages: 1 [2]