• April 25, 2024, 01:35:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: routing > 1 connection = WWW and 1 connection = NAS only connection (LAN)  (Read 4493 times)

dragonetti

• Level 1 Member

Is it possible to have one UTP cable to do ALL the connections EXCEPT the connection to a NAS.
The other conncetion should ONLY handle the NAS connection. (the NAS<>PC only connection could be done in the routing section, at least that seems the most obvious for me)

Just to be clear I have 2 UTP CABLES going into my router which come from the main PC (the PC has 2 ethernet ports).
connection 1 = connection to EVERYTHING (=LAN and Internet) except: see second connection
connection 2 = connection to NAS only

How do I setup such an connection?

DIR-855 :-(

• Level 2 Member
Re: routing > 1 connection = WWW and 1 connection = NAS only connection (LAN)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »

This should be possible but will require an OS configuration on your PC to support the routing from port 1 to port 2.

I have not done this before but I will give it a shot (others may be able to correct me).

If your router is set up with DHCP on 192.168.0 then set up port 2 to be static on 192.168.1 network and make port two 192.168.1.1 and the nas 192.168.1.2.

You will then need to put in a static route of 192.168.0.1 via 192.168.0.[Port 2 IP] with a hop count of 1 on you PC. Your Default gateway on Port 2 should still be 192.168.0.1 (the IP to exit your network).

I would expect using either RIP or OSPF would propagate this to the rest of the machine on your Router network so that the NAS can be reachable by them. If that is not the case then you will need to put in a static route entry into the router aswell.

dragonetti

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »

Actually I think windows can do all of this for you automatically if you right click on the network card in control panel and select bridge connection. Note that I think you still need to assign static ip addresses and default gateway as described earlier. Give it a go and let us know!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:02:10 PM by whoisnader »

dragonetti

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »

@whoisnader

Thank you again for the 'bridge' tip!

I seem to get it working but the weird thing is I did not do anything special except for the below:
(PC and NAS1 both have dual Ethernet ports)

- Assign static IP to NAS1 (static IP to ethernet port 1, NAS1 has ethernet port 0 in DHCP-mode)
- Assign static IP to PC (static IP ethernet port 1,  PC has ethernet port 0 in DHCP-mode)
- Put the Ethernet ports 0 on both PC and NAS1 on the same subnet (255.255.254.0)

To be clear: The PC has 2 ethernetports, one of which is connected directly to the NAS1

Now comes the "weird" thing:
When I send a file to my NAS1 and I turn on Network monitoring in Windows (CTRL + ALT + DEL > tab "network" ) I see graph activity only on my LAN connection (ethernet port 1). The other connection has no activity (only when I surf the net I some very low activity).

Does this mean I got it working?
(was the subnet thing the only thing I had to do? Because in the subnet 255.255.254.0 there are only 2 devices)

I thought I had to some hefty static routing stuff just to get dedicated LAN connection going.

If my above assumption is right, then it should be really simple to get it working the same way in UBUNTU (linux). I currently have it setup the same in ubuntu (dual boot) but I don't know how to test it properly...

Also @whoisnader: Sorry I could not directly use your first advice, but a friend of mine could! (so at least he is helped!!)

My nas1 is QNAP TS 239 PRO (works really wel!)

Another tip for other users: Make really sure your UTP cable is CAT5E or CAT6 if you want make use of 1GBit speed. After hours of messing around with different cables which are all were CAT5 I found that only CAT5E or higher could support GBit speeds. (stupid me)

My second and final challange...get my second NAS (NAS2 = Addonics NAS) working on the same router... (I'm holding my breath)

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »

I have that exact same QNAP server too.

I have owned many network devices (routers and NASs) and by far, that would have been my best investment. My Buffalo G HighPower running DD-WRT was the best router (and I will go back to this soon if DLink don't do something about their product).