• April 23, 2024, 04:08:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using US-firmware in EU?  (Read 4010 times)

mr.c

• Level 1 Member
Using US-firmware in EU?
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:58:40 AM »

Hi,

I'm currently running 1.13EU on my DIR-855. I have to restart sevral times a week. I earlier was under impression from D-Link that the 1.13EU would work better towards my DAP-1522, which I use as a bridge to the Ethernet on second floor in my house (the DIR-855 is downstairs connected to my broadband-connection).

I noticed that for the US, there are newer firmwares. Can these firmwares be used by EU DIR-855? What are the differences between the EU and US firmware?

Is there any known settings that can make the DIR-855 more unstable?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: Using US-firmware in EU?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

I noticed that for the US, there are newer firmwares. Can these firmwares be used by EU DIR-855?

Yes you can use them with EU version of the router, but if you do, you can't switch back in the moment.
And aou can't downgrade to firmwares prior 1.20.

I'm running my 855EU with latest 1.21 firmware without problems and DAP-1522 works flawlessly in bridge mode.

I'm currently running 1.13EU on my DIR-855. I have to restart sevral times a week.

Same happens here to several users with latest US firmware, so I have my doubts whether it  will help you to use the 1.21 NA firmware.

What are the differences between the EU and US firmware?

There are only few differences:
- There is no 3G option in the USB settings
- You have to use a newer shareport tool
- Advanced DNS feature which uses some special DNS servers

Is there any known settings that can make the DIR-855 more unstable?
- Try to use WPA2-PSK only with AES encryption.
- Disable DNS relay in the router's LAN settings
(you have to renew all dynamic IPs afterwards and in clients with a static IP address you have to enter a provider DNS IP. The router IP will not work any longer)

TallCool1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »

- Try to use WPA2-PSK only with AES encryption.
- Disable DNS relay in the router's LAN settings
(you have to renew all dynamic IPs afterwards and in clients with a static IP address you have to enter a provider DNS IP. The router IP will not work any longer)

Lizzi I want to understand what you're talking about in italics above.  The interconnection type I use is dynamic (DHCP); DNS relay is off, no DNS providers are defined and I have 15+ clients with static IP assignments and everything works great.  You've lost me...  Thanks.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »

It's easy.

If DNS relay is enabled, the router will assign its own IP as DNS to all clients.
So if you disable DNS relay, this DNS will not work any longer. Id you release and renew the IP now, the router will automatically assign a DNS server IP received from the ISP and everything works again.

A lot of user with enabled DNS relay take advantage of using the router IP as DNS when entering static IPs into the clients network properties. This will not work if DNS relay is disabled. They have to change the DNS to a ISP DNS address.

Hopefully I could make myself understandable