• March 29, 2024, 03:59:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dlink Router into Access Point for Surfboard Modem  (Read 2983 times)

oakesky

• Level 1 Member
Dlink Router into Access Point for Surfboard Modem
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »

I have the DIR-605L router and a Surfboard SB6141 modem. Since there is only one port and no wifi, I can't connect more devices to this modem. What I want is to turn my Dlink router into an wireless access point for my comcast internet from the modem, but for some reason I'm not sure why the auto configure settings don't work for the router.

Any suggestions on how I should set this up?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:01:46 PM by oakesky »

Hard Harry

Re: Dlink Router into Access Point for Surfboard Modem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »

The SB6141 is a stand alone modem. A Access Point is a wireless router minus the routing. Since the SB6141 can only give out 1 IP, and since AP's don't have NAT, you would only be able to get one device online at a time. Instead you would want the DIR-605L configured as a wireless router. The only exception to this is if you had a class of service that offered multiple public IP's. Even then you would still be limited to the amount of IP's you have, which will probably never be above 8.

Also, any time you change the device the modem is connected to, you have to reset (power cycle) the modem. This allows it to read the router's MAC address and request a new IP for it from Comcast.

oakesky

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:40:50 PM »

Ok, I See what I did wrong--it had to be done manually because the router wouldn't accept it on auto...in case anyone else has this issue with this combination of modem and router:

1. I copied over my Primary and Secondary DNS (from ipconfig /all)
2. I copied my computer's MAC address (the computer that I initially used to set up the modem in the first place)
3. I had to get the actual host name (also foudn in ipconfig /all)

p.s. @hard harry lol sorry about this question, it's late and I've been dealing with the frustration of setting up with a new ISP all day grr...my mind is shot!

Hard Harry

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »

1. What DNS did you enter? The IPs for the DNS your ISP gives you?
2. Why did you do this? That only confuses the situation with no benefit.
3. You needed a host name? This is only needed for networking, not traffic routing. What ISP do you have?

Also, did you try Auto with the router set to AP or Router mode?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:30:08 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

Ok, I See what I did wrong--it had to be done manually because the router wouldn't accept it on auto...in case anyone else has this issue with this combination of modem and router:

1. I copied over my Primary and Secondary DNS (from ipconfig /all)
2. I copied my computer's MAC address (the computer that I initially used to set up the modem in the first place)
3. I had to get the actual host name (also foudn in ipconfig /all)

p.s. @hard harry lol sorry about this question, it's late and I've been dealing with the frustration of setting up with a new ISP all day grr...my mind is shot!
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.