• April 23, 2024, 07:08:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-140 drops connection  (Read 16028 times)

Bashy

• Level 1 Member
DWA-140 drops connection
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:04:40 AM »

Hi

My stick drops its connection, normally sometime during the night and i have to reboot the computer
to get it working again.

Using XP sp3 and now using driver version 1.4.6.0 (Ralink) since updating to this driver version
i no longer get a N connection, its gone to G instead :(

Using a D-Link 615 N router i think it is

Can anyone advise please?

Regards

Simon

ozzed3

• Level 3 Member
    • Ozzed.net Bitpop and chip music
Re: DWA-140 drops connection
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »

1.4.9.0 are the latest drivers for XP. 1.4.6.0 is rather old so alot happened since then. 1.4.9.0 is far more stable and hopefully gives you N-connectivity again. http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

My bitpop and chip music

Bashy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I now have the latest installed but sadly it still wont connect to n only g
In the RaUI Wireless mode drop list there is only 2.4G available

The original driver CD installs and works with n no problem but i get the drop out :(

Regards

Simon
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:08:23 AM by Bashy »

ozzed3

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »

I'm not sure how ralink packages their drivers lately but last I installed one I could chose to only install the driver and not their software. Maybe you can try and uninstall the software. You should do fine with the build in windows one. Also you might want to check your router settings just to make sure.

My bitpop and chip music

Bashy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »

Hi

I have just uninstalled the Ralink software (including drivers) then reinstalled Drivers only.
Still its only at 54mbps, before i uninstalled it i tried the auto connection, it wouldnt connect
properly but i could see it trying to and it was hitting 200+ but just not connecting

Windows is now 100% in control on the connection with no D-Link or Ralink software installed
and its still only at 54mbps :(

I checked the Router and thats set to B, G or N, although accessing the router config and using
it is slow as hell, always has been, it can take 2 or 3 minutes just to get to another page in the
configuration :(

As a side note:
I have a Laptop with a Belkin N 802.11n running at 100%
I have another computer upstairs with a Belkin Nimo G+ running OK but obviously at 54

This is taken from the router, ip 103 is the DWA-140

regards

Simon
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:25:08 PM by Bashy »

ozzed3

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:53 PM »

Do you have the latest firmware for your router then? Also.. 2-3 minutes to access the config pages sounds entirely too much..

My bitpop and chip music

Bashy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »

Yeah, i checked that earlier today, it says its the latest version at 1.00VG

Sometimes it can be page by page but a lot of the time its at least 30 - 60 seconds to open a page
and its topped out at 3 minutes.

I tried changing the wireless mode to n only and the DWA-140 wouldnt connect, so it must be a driver
issue as it was working on n with the older drivers but then i get the drop outs, its a catch 22 lol

Just read this http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=626.0 so i am going to change to WPA although
it worked on WEP with older drivers, will let you know in a minute or 3

All sorted, now that is strange, old drivers worked with WEP, but new drivers need WPA, should have read a little 1st  :-[

Thanks ever so much for your help and advice :)

regards

Simon
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:06:04 PM by Bashy »

ozzed3

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »

Well yes, WEP is a B/G standard but N requires WPA as it is far more secure. Don't forget to install the new drivers again, cheers :)

My bitpop and chip music