• April 26, 2024, 07:01:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Connection issues, possibly from blocked ports  (Read 28519 times)

Hard Harry

Re: Connection issues, possibly from blocked ports
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:22 AM »

Reprovisioning is the new "reboot your PC" from technical support. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it can fix certain problems, but those are pretty rare. Also, it will NEVER change your signal levels. With that high TX, what I am concerned about is your TX SNR, which only your ISP can see. As a rule, don't use chat support. Many times they are contracted out, and usually support 3-4 different ISP's at the same time. I would suggest getting a tech out there, because since you will now be putting a splitter on your line so you can the Arris and Motorola in the same room? That will raise your Tx 3-4dB, and then your going to start having issues with even a D2 modem, nevermind a D3 modem. Also, with a +3 dB Rx and a 51 Tx, that makes me think you have some kind of amp? If not, the Tx is probably high on your street.

Anyway, I disgress. Some questions on your OP. You said when you played a P2P game, one PC has a 1 second delay? Was it always the same PC? Have you tried running some pings to your modem's gateway while having both PC's connect? We need to know if your basic connection is slowing down, or just the traffic for the game.

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

I currently have a 2-way splitter in this room powering my cable modem as well as my hdtv box. The splitter says -3.5db on the output, and I tested the upstream without the splitter attached and it was reading 48db so that rules out a defective splitter. However a big issue is that I ordered a 2ghz 3-way splitter to power the new devices, and it has -8.9db on the outputs so that will jack my upstream up even higher, and put my downstream into the negatives (which I assume is bad?).

I just tested both PCs. They can ping each other, and the gateway with <1ms consistently. Even after I log them both into a game together, they ping each other and the gateway <1ms. So I think that we can rule out any blockage within the local network. It seems that the issue is the traffic going out over the wan.

I think that I should probably have a Comcast technician come out and adjust the power on my lines.

Hard Harry

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »

Yes, I agree. Try to order their wiring protection plan and just cancel it after they leave. That will probably protect you from most charges. But when I said the gateway, I meant the modem's gateway, not your computers gateway. You can find it on routers Status > Device Info page. That is the hop between modem and ISP network. Ping that and 192.168.100.1. If you see no latency to the modem, but latency after the modem (like 50ms+) then it's on your ISP's side.

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »

On my main PC that I game with, I get between 7ms and 11ms ping to the gateway. On my secondary PC that I was doing the local testing with, I get between 9ms and 15ms ping to the gateway.

Hmm. If I have a technician come out to adjust the power on my lines, I might as well have him wire up a phone input in a different room so that I don't have to keep both modems in here and triple split my line.

Hard Harry

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:44:07 AM »

The best place to put a MTA is in the basement closest to the punch block. Not only will that give you a clearer phone connection, but he probably won't charge, and be a modem relocate at worst.

The latency seems fine. Do you still experiance the latency with the game? If so, I would say its a QoS issue, since layer 1-2 seems to be good. Is it always the same computer which is slower then the others or is that random?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »

To the OP, I would recommend adding a switch to the back end of the 4500 router and connecting the gaming PCs to the switch. You shouldn't notice any lag if your playing games on the LAN side and your not needed any gaming from the WAN side. Switch helps relieve some of the processing that is not needed with gaming on the LAN side from the router.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »

Quote from: FurryNutz
To the OP, I would recommend adding a switch to the back end of the 4500 router and connecting the gaming PCs to the switch. You shouldn't notice any lag if your playing games on the LAN side and your not needed any gaming from the WAN side. Switch helps relieve some of the processing that is not needed with gaming on the LAN side from the router.

I added a switch the other day when you first recommended it, and my gaming PCs have been attached to it ever since then. The problem is, I'm not doing any LAN gaming. These p2p games are still online and have to send data to the game server constantly. Even when playing in a game room with 2 of my own PCs, they have to go out through the WAN.

The best place to put a MTA is in the basement closest to the punch block. Not only will that give you a clearer phone connection, but he probably won't charge, and be a modem relocate at worst.

The latency seems fine. Do you still experiance the latency with the game? If so, I would say its a QoS issue, since layer 1-2 seems to be good. Is it always the same computer which is slower then the others or is that random?

Yeah, I'm still experiencing the latency in game. I just repinged the gateway from both computers, and they are both reading average of 8ms now. Have you ever played a p2p game where your connection was so poor with someone, they would appear to 'teleport' around when moving? That was happening to me periodically last night. Even when playing with my friend that I do most of my latency testing against (always have about a 0.5-1 second delay for my attacks to register on him, just like playing against my other PC), every 15 seconds or so I would randomly see him appear 10 feet in a different direction. That normally doesn't happen, and I asked other people in the game room and they didn't seem to have any lag problem with him.

Could this be related to the upstream power level coming into my modem? It almost seems like it is momentarily dropping connection.

Hard Harry

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »

It could be. Absent of packet loss or latency does not mean their is a absent of a problem, it just helps isolate it. Maybe you could try bypassing the network and switch and trying a online game and seeing if the lag and teleporting exsist.

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »

It could be. Absent of packet loss or latency does not mean their is a absent of a problem, it just helps isolate it. Maybe you could try bypassing the network and switch and trying a online game and seeing if the lag and teleporting exsist.

I tried directly connecting to modem and playing with my friends the other day, and still had the exact same delay for my actions to register. There was no teleporting issue at that time, however the teleporting happened for the first time last night (at least against my friends). I've seen it before on people that live across the world from me (where the connection is bound to be poor), but not with people that live near me.

The new modem arrives tomorrow, however it may get a poor signal while triple splitting on the line in my room. First, I will directly connect it to the cable line in here after I get Comcast to switch the signal over so that I can make sure it works fine on its own, but I will have to throw the other modem back on the line shortly after so that I can get the phone lines in my house back up.

Hopefully I can get a Comcast technician out here on Thursday to move the phone modem to my garage so that I can get it out of here, and also readjust the power on my lines.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:53:47 AM by junlee »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »

I tried directly connecting to modem and playing with my friends the other day, and still had the exact same delay for my actions to register. There was no teleporting issue at that time, however the teleporting happened for the first time last night (at least against my friends). I've seen it before on people that live across the world from me (where the connection is bound to be poor), but not with people that live near me.

The new modem arrives tomorrow, however it may get a poor signal while triple splitting on the line in my room. First, I will directly connect it to the cable line in here after I get Comcast to switch the signal over so that I can make sure it works fine on its own, but I will have to throw the other modem back on the line shortly after so that I can get the phone lines in my house back up. Lets us know if you can put the modem online with out any splitters and see how it goes. Splitters can cause a drop in signal levels.

Hopefully I can get a Comcast technician out here on Thursday to move the phone modem to my garage so that I can get it out of here.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »

Lets us know if you can put the modem online with out any splitters and see how it goes. Splitters can cause a drop in signal levels.

Yeah, I will test it directly connected to the line coming into my room first. Sadly, there's already 2 splitters in my garage on the main line that comes in. Iirc, there's a 4way on the main line and a 3way connected to it.

Hmm I wonder if the line coming into my room is on the first splitter, or on the second one. If it's on the second one, I imagine that I would get a better signal by moving it over to the first one so it's not already split twice. Ahh..if it is on the second one, then that would mean it is already split 3 times before it gets to my modem (twice in garage, once in my room) so that could be why the upstream is so high.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:01:35 AM by junlee »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »

Any chance of the ISP putting in a dedicated Cable internet line alone with having the other just for TV stuff?

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

Any chance of the ISP putting in a dedicated Cable internet line alone with having the other just for TV stuff?

Hmm I don't think they would...I can try asking if I get a technician out here.

I think one thing that I will try is to put the cable line coming into my house onto a 2way splitter, then putting the cable going into my room directly on to that, and the splitters containing all of the TV lines in my house onto the other output. That way, the only thing between the direct line and my room is a 2way, rather than a 4 way (there's actually two 4-ways, not a 4-way and a 3-way).

I suppose it was kind of a waste for me to buy a 2ghz splitter to put in my room since I just noticed the two splitters that Comcast put in my garage are only 1ghz each  :-[

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

well, keep us posted. Hope something works out for you. Once you get the lines cleared out and set up well, You'll like the SB-6120 man. Good modem.

junlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »

Well I just got the SB6120 hooked up. Already noticing a difference on speedtest...for the past few days the Arris was reporting 18mbps down (which is pretty low, normally gets in upper 20s). Soon as I switched over to the SB6120 it shot up to 36mbps down...but I think it should still be higher (on the 20MB/s speed blast plan with Comcast).

While I was on the phone with the Comcast tech, I asked him to take a look at my power levels and he said the upstream was a bit on the high side and he was seeing noise on my line that could be causing connection issues. He said he will be out tomorrow morning to take a look at it so hopefully that fixes my problems :)

I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for the continued support, even after we discovered my router had nothing to do with it  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4