• March 28, 2024, 04:47:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Adding Disk 2 to DNS-343 formats Disk 1  (Read 36479 times)

drick

• Level 3 Member
Re: Adding Disk 2 to DNS-343 formats Disk 1
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »

I looks to me that installing fun plug may cause such issues as this. Every time I hear of such an issue on this device or DNS-323 Funplug is mentioned. Now that is is removed I would recommend backing up your data and formating the drive if it prompts you.

has anyone posted this issue to the funplug forum yet?

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=10

i would also try posting it here as well:

http://forum.nas-tweaks.net/index.php?CNSESS=9704389425be4f88cdee23d0a08dd66b&board=4.0

my guess is that if you posted this entire string to one/both of these forums, you will get the answers quickly.

FYI be prepared for a much more "direct" conversation on these forums, and less patience for n00b questions. i learned that the hard way.

p.s. this is why i always fill up my DNS's with HDD's day 1, and replace them all at the same time. adding HDD's to these units has been an ongoing problem since day 1.
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
2x750GB Seagate HDD's / RAID1+EXT3
DNS-343A - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343B - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343C v1.05b + ffp 0.5
4x2TB Seagate HDD's / RAID5+EXT3
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

TimeZlicer

• Level 2 Member
    • TimeZlicer
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »

it seem like you can run
Code: [Select]
hd_verify -wto update the serial numbers automatically
would you like to give it a try?

i have tested it on my DNS-343,
i have 2 disks, 1 on the top bay and 1 on the bottom bay,
leaving the middle empty for airflow

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=3175

Hi!

I had the same problem with formatting new disks with ffp installed, but i find the way how to fix it.
I have 4 HDDs not in raid.

When you need to add new HDD to NAS, you can use this step-by-step solution:
0. You need ffp plug installed;
1. Take out all HDDs from NAS;
2. Insert new HDD into drive bay 1;
3. Boot NAS, login into web admin site and format HDD;
4. Take out new HDD and insert old HDDs into their bays (disk with ffp installed must be in 1-st bay), then insert new HDD into free bay;
5. Boot NAS and login into it using ssh or telnet;
6. Run  hd_verify. In output search for mtd_smagic value (something like 079e9865cf36a576c91......). Write it out somewhere. Also you need write out serials of all HDDs (in the begining of output of hd_verify). Write out serials in pairs: sda - serial, sdb - serial, etc.
7. Go into /mnt/HD_a4, there is file with name starting with dot, something like .x37c9E.
Structure of this file looks like:
magic: 079e9865cf36a576c91.............
mac: <mac address of nas>
node: sda
p2: NORMAL * <hdd serial1> * <hdd serial2> * <hdd serial3>

I have 4 HDD installed, so there is 3 serials. If you have less HDD, you'll get less serials (qty of HDDs - 1)

You need edit this file next way:
a) replace old magic with new one;
b) replace <hdd serials> with serials of all disks, except serial of current disk(in this case sda).
i.e.:
p2: NORMAL * <hdd serial1(sdb)> * <hdd serial2(sdc)> * <hdd serial3(sdd)>

8. Repeat step 7 for the same file on another disks (/mnt/HD_b4, c4, d4).
9. I'm not sure it's necessary, but in last step I execute write_hdverify.
10. Reboot NAS or simply mount all unmounted disks (mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/HD_a2, sdb2 -> HD_b2, etc.)
11. Check result of hd_verify.

That's all. Quite easy :)

chaseral

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 12:54:47 AM »

Thanks for all the inputs but I gave up trying and populated all 4 bays before putting data in. This is a serious bug and it is working as Dlink advertised.

johndal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »

I have just bought a new DNS-343, installed 2 1TB drives and updated to firmware 1.03. It was my intention to finally install 4 drives in RAID 5 and I wanted to experiment just to see what happens. I noted that other brands listed the ability to upgrade RAID on the fly but there is nothing specific for this model.

Initially I formatted the 2 drives in RAID1. Unit works and I installed the BT add on.

I added drive 3, my boot option was to format it as a stand alone drive. I skipped that but selected RAID 5. It proceeded to iniitalise drive 3 then formatted all 3 drives.

I added drive 4 and again my option was to format it as a stand alone drive. I skipped that and selected RAID 5. It proceeded to initialise drive 4 and then formatted all 4 drives.

Presumably, but not tested, had I chosen the stand alone drive option it would have formatted the other drives anyway.

I did not load any real data on the drives except some test files when in RAID 1 configuration.

The book states that should one drive in RAID 5 then the unit will auto repair. Can I believe this? I have a cold feeling in my stomach.
John

artyom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »

General case for DNS-343 ver 1.03: to format only newly inserted drive (not all disks!) chose menu "Advanced" - "RAID" - "RAID Configuration" - "Configure Newly Inserted Hard drive(s)".
But if this is not possible, it is necessary to reset NAS settings with 1st drive inserted. After that this feature appears and it will be possible to use "Configure Newly Inserted Hard drive(s)".

artyom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »

Additional practice:
I've the same issue with destroyed data in summer 2009: when I tried to format only 2nd drive in Standart mode, NAS formated both drives! 2 month I was recovering data with different methods and no results!
And now I back up data on 1st drive, reset NAS settings and insert 2nd drive. Then press "Configure Newly Inserted Hard drive(s)" and finally it formated only 2nd drive, not all drives!!!

Please, inform in this topic if you don't have the same effect.

meqwerty

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »

This has formatted the wrong drive TWICE so far.

First time was when i had a drive in slot 1 and i added a new drive in slot 4.

Second time was when i had a drive in slot 1 and i added a new drive in slot 2.

Both times, the serial number on the admin screen was the correct one to be initialized and formatted. (ie. Slot 4 and Slot 2 respectively)

Both times, the other drive was formatted.

DLINK Engineers, Please fix this longstanding issue.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:44:22 AM by meqwerty »

eden910

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »

I have also lost data on more than one occasion.  I've reverted to an old trick when formatting- PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT DRIVES EXCEPT THE ONE BEING FORMATTED.

additionally, it creates the problem where drive format is expected each time the device is rebooted and some functions are not enabled (I.E. iTunes share is greyed out).  

Running hd_verify -w corrected the magic number issue and all is good.

UPDATE: Used hd_verify -w a second time, installing a second drive, works no problems yet.

My current drive addition routine:

1 - Power down
2 - Install new drive
3 - Restart and select formatting options
4 - PHYSICALLY REMOVE OTHER DRIVES (I.E. Those not being formatted)
5 - Confirm formatting
6 - After formatting is complete, reconnect all drives, restart and skip formatting dialog box.
7 - Use FunPlug to telnet in and run  hd_verify -w to cure magic number issue (stop receiving 'new drive installed' prompt)
8 - Restart   VOILA!

Please post your experiences related to adding drives if you choose to use this method.  I MAKE NO GUARANTEES!  USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Eden
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:19:27 PM by eden910 »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 05:04:43 AM »

I have a DNS-343 with 3 HDDs configured as standard volumes in slots 1,2,3 and am planning to add a 4th HDD to slot 4.  I've never installed fun plug and the first three volumes were never removed from the DNS-343 since the initial configuration.

Will adding a 4th volume to slot-4 cause any potential problems?  The first 3-HDDS contain 6TB of data, and although the data is backed up 2x, I need to make sure this works the first time around.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

knightfreeze

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »

Tried the 'hd_verify -w', all it did was to remove the formatting dialog box. Volume_2 (2x800G on RAID1 with data) still not visible. What else can I do to make Volume_2 visible again without formatting and losing all my data? Thanks.

Background:
Using desktop with OS X 10.6.4, DNS-343 on 1.04
Initially, it was
Volume_1 - Seagate 1TB (Standard) (Slot 1)
Volume_2 - 2 x WD 800GB (RAID1) (with impt data) (Slots 3 & 4)
(no ffp installed)
Was working fine until the Seagate 1TB died.
Replaced Volume_1 with WD 1.5TB.
Wanted to eliminate the possibility of formatting the wrong HDDs, I removed the 2xWD 800GB  from the DNS-343 and formatted the WD 1.5TB HDD (from hindsight, bad move). When inserted the 2x800GB HDD, Web interface detected as new HDD and prompted to format them.
Tried the following:
Skipped the dialog box (still can't see Volume_2)
Reset the DNS343 to factory settings (Web interface still prompts to format HDDs and still can't see Volume_2)
Installed ffp on new Volume_1 and ran hd_verify -w (Web interface stopped prompting BUT still can't see Volume_2)

Not a UNIX user, I cd /mnt/HD_a4 and did a ls but I don't see the filename starting with .xxx.
7. Go into /mnt/HD_a4, there is file with name starting with dot, something like .x37c9E.
Structure of this file looks like:
magic: 079e9865cf36a576c91.............
mac: <mac address of nas>
node: sda
p2: NORMAL * <hdd serial1> * <hdd serial2> * <hdd serial3>

Found this in another forum but I don't understand the steps, appreciate if someone could elaborate.
you would need an extra hdd (HD_a2) to install and boot fun plug with so you can telnet into the dns343 to make the changes

edit this into /ffp/etc/fun_plug.init
mkdir /mnt/HD_b2
mkdir /mnt/HD_c2
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/HD_b2
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/HD_c2
echo '/mnt/HD_b2 10.0.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)' >>/etc/exports
echo '/mnt/HD_c2 10.0.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)' >>/etc/exports
./ffp/start/unfsd restart

reboot and you would be able to use the data on the two hdd from dns343 using the nfs protocol.

Am I able to see my data in Volume_2 from shell and just copy out the directory using cp command (like in the DOS days)

Please advise what else to do. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:43:34 PM by knightfreeze »

knightfreeze

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »

Referring to the earlier post, I checked in the directory /mnt/HD_a4, b4, c4. Something doesn't look right:

1. File "ChkSCSI"
SCSI0 1
SCSI1 0
SCSI2 2
SCSI3 3

2. File "dsk_mapping"
sda

3. File "raidtab2web"
status,0
filesystem,ext3
nonraid,sda2
md0,null,null,null,null,null,null,null
md1,null,null,null,null,null,null,null
md2,null,null,null,null,null,null,null
md3,null,null,null,null,null,null,null

Help!

knightfreeze

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »

A big THANKS to Jack-TBJ. I was desperate to get back my data and decided to edit the dsk_mapping and raidtab2web files with my non-existant knowledge of unix, making reference to Jack-TBJ's earlier post.

Made a copy of dsk_mapping and raidtab2web, added sdb & sdc to the 2nd and 3rd line respectively to dsk_mapping in dir /mnt/HD_a4, b4 & c4. Added sdb2 & sdc2 to 3rd line of raidtab2web to the same directories.

I can see my Volume_2 again! Phew!

Learnt a valuable lesson from this ordeal and also through reading several forums. RAID is NOT for backup! RAID is for availability.

veasmkii

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »

Thanks Jack-TBJ, this worked for me. But for some reason my volume 4 keeps being assigned the name volume 2!

deepakr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 05:16:08 AM »

Hi,
My Volume_1 is failing (on a 1TB drive) and am looking to upgrade it to a 2TB drive. I have fun plug installed on the current configuration. Will the steps be the same as outlined by Jack?

Deepak

deepakr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:56 PM »

Follow up on my track..Put the new disk (as Volume 1), formatted, added ffp to it and shut down.
The added all the other disks and restarted.
hd_verify gave an error.
ran hd_verify -w and then followed Jack's last steps.
Worked like a charm!
Thanks much

Deepak
Pages: 1 2 [3]