• May 01, 2024, 11:55:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Backup plans  (Read 4809 times)

pingjockey

• Level 1 Member
Backup plans
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »

I bought this unit a long time ago (probably close to the initial release date here in the US) and I am happy with it so far. I lacks quite a few features from larger units but it does what I need it do right now.

However, my wife and I are working from home more and more now a days and I would like to set up a reasonable back-up plan. Does anyone have anything remotely like this planned with this particular unit or should I just update to a larger unit like the 343 or something.

Thanks

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
Re: Backup plans
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

I just have a external HHD and case attached to my pc and use allway sync to do a monthly one way sync.

I am hoping that the new firmware allows the USB port to be used as a external HDD port and that the "downloads" section in the web interface becomes "downloads and uploads", that way it can be done all from the unit

Grimalkin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »

I use the exactly same methodology of backing up my files as Sumdumphuc does, my only deviation is that I run nightly backups.

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 01:17:51 AM »

I choose monthly backups rather than nightly because if there is any corruption in my files I have a month (or less) to fix it and not have my backup corrupt.
I do also have a portable passport that is synced to most of the DNS-323 as well (not intended as a backup, just so I have my files at all times with me), This means I have my files on 4 HDD's at any one time.
my DNS is in Raid mode.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 05:36:50 AM »

I choose monthly backups rather than nightly because if there is any corruption in my files I have a month (or less) to fix it and not have my backup corrupt.

The downside to this is that you run the risk of loosing as much as a month's worth of work - although with RAID and a total of four copies that should be relatively small - the danger I would see there is a failure to keep it all in sync.

The backup interval as well as the retention period (how long a particular backup is kept) should be chosen based on how much work you stand to lose, as well as the cost of perhaps recreating the data.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »

I have thought about the length in between backups as far as lost data is concerned, The chance of losing all 3 other copies is very low and though 1 month could well be alot of work (depending on the month) it is still better losing 1 month than all of my files.

Keeping all 4 HDD synced is very easy.
2 are already in RAID.
1 is on auto monthly backup
the other portable passport has the Geek.menu in it and has allway sync and go in it as well, so everytime I connect and disconnect to the network I press sync.

Very easy to keep all synced

[Edit] When I travel I sync the portable passport via ftp, so if I lose the portable passport I still have my files
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:49:56 PM by Sumdumphuc »