• April 28, 2024, 12:33:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: anyone tried AP or Bridge Mode  (Read 10782 times)

mcbmail

anyone tried AP or Bridge Mode
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:40:37 AM »

Doing some pre-sales research...

1.  And i guess i would start off by saying do you guys recommend this model? 

I am skipping over the platinum models at this point for the .n standard built in my laptop might not even be 100% compatible.  But at the very least i would be more than happy with a nice signal strength unit.  I may in the near future buy DLink adapters for our laptops. 

1a.  Does D-link make express adapter cards to work with this model.  Both of my laptops are the ExpressCard slot not the legacy PCMCIA slot. 

2.  Does this unit have a Bridging or Access Point mode?  Ideally i would like to put this unit on top of my Netgear Wired Firewall/Router.  I looked at D-Link's emulator for this model and did not see an outright bridge/access point mode.  But i did see that many of the unneeded features could be disabled.  (such as firewall, encryption, etc.)  Has anyone tried this or a similar setup.  I am not opposed to solely using this device, but i already have an extensive wired network in place. 

3.  What hi-gain antennae would you recommend using with this model to boost signal strength?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

JHK

• Level 3 Member
Re: anyone tried AP or Bridge Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:42:46 PM »

The Xtreme N Notebook ExpressCard (DWA-643) is powered by Xtreme N technology to provide superior wireless performance in the home or office with the draft 802.11n compliant RangeBooster N™ Router (DIR-625). However the DIR-625 does not support the bridging mode. You may consider getting the DWL-2100AP which supports the five modes: a Wireless Access Point, a Point-to-Point (PtP) bridge with another DWL-2100AP, a Point-to-Multipoint (PtMP) bridge, a Repeater for range extension, or as a Wireless Client. Using the previous firmware version for the DIR-655 will allow you to use the WDS mode so you can enable the bridge mode between two separate locations. There are many antennas out in the market, however you should consider using the D-Link's Xtreme N Antenna (ANT24-0230) with the DIR series routers to avoid the compatibility issue.
Life is cool! :)

ddwinell

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »

If you disable the DHCP server and connect the DIR to your current firewall on a LAN port then its pretty much an AP at this point.
 Turning a router into an AP.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:56:55 AM by FurryNutz »

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »

1.  And i guess i would start off by saying do you guys recommend this model? 

I would recommend it if price is important. This product is similar to competitors products. It would take the D-link Platinum series to be better that what everyone else offers.

1a.  Does D-link make express adapter cards to work with this model.  Both of my laptops are the ExpressCard slot not the legacy PCMCIA slot. 

Yes, kinda. The DWA-643 is one step below the Platinum family and it works in express Card slots instead on PC Card slots.

2.  Does this unit have a Bridging or Access Point mode?  .......... But i did see that many of the unneeded features could be disabled.  (such as firewall, encryption, etc.)  Has anyone tried this or a similar setup.....

Previously answered well by yourself and the community. No switch button, but you should be able to turn off DHCP, set an IP address to it not already used on your network, and not plug any network cables into the WAN port to get AP like functionality. Many have tried it and it works just fine.

3.  What hi-gain antennae would you recommend using with this model to boost signal strength?

None. Use more powerful hardware (Platinum) or another type of media (Ethernet, HomePlug).
D-Link sells one antenna for improving placement (PCI cards and DIR-625). ANT24-0230
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:58:00 AM by FurryNutz »
Meanest person you know

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »

.....and we have an 802.11n (like) Bridge available now DAP-1555.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DAP%2D1555

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=570

Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Access Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:58:33 AM by FurryNutz »
Meanest person you know