• March 18, 2024, 11:35:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: how do i know i am getting the best possible throughput and why no 40mhz setting  (Read 4882 times)

jdoherty76

• Level 1 Member

Hi there newbie to this forum and I'd be grateful if some advice and assistance could be given regarding my router.

First of all how do you actually know you are getting the best possible throughput from your router? can someone please advise me of a series of steps i can take to ensure that the router is delivering it's very best.

My router is currently HW version B1 and firmware 2.07, I live in the UK and run virgin media (VM) cable broadband 40Mbps, VM supply me with a integrated modem and router, but I have chosen to bypass the router by switching it to modem only and have cable corrected from modem directly to dir 655 router.   

I thought I'd try running it on 802.11n only but when I changed the settings to this there doesn't appear to be an option to set the channel width to 40mhz only 20/40mhz. has anyone else experienced this issue and if so is there a way to get around this. 

As I said my ultimate goal is to understand how to fine tune the router so i am getting the best possible throughput from it...

any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks JD   

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>FW Update Process

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on a Router

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Additional configuration and setup information can be found here:
Router Troubleshooting Suggestions and Tips

40Mhz alone is not supported as a selection. Auto 20/40Mhz is recommended.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:28:37 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jdoherty76

• Level 1 Member

Thank you Furrynutz I appreciate your response.  I am away for a week on business and I’ll thoroughly check out your questions when I get back.

Is it normal for the option of 40mhz on its own not to be present in the drop down box, even though the manual states it should be?

IF have raised this with D-Link and they have recommended that I perform a factory reset and if this does not fix it then I should perform firmware update.

Furrynutz in your opinion (in laymans terms) I can use broadband speedtest to check my download and upload speeds, as this is done via wireless from my laptop or tablet then I’m not sure how accurate this is.

Can the DIR-655 transmit on the 5Mhz only frequency and if so how do I actually make it do this?

Also I seen in a few other posts do you really need a firewall on your PC if the router actually has one built in?

If I assume my ISP is providing 50mBps how much should I realistically expect (all things being equal) to obtain wirelessly?

I understand there are a number of variables to take into account: Cable to Modem, Cable from modem to Router, wireless signal output, distance from router, receiving network card.  I think what I’m trying to understand is, what is the best possible throughput of the router to my receiving device

Once again thank you very much for your time and patience.. JD 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Thank you Furrynutz I appreciate your response.  I am away for a week on business and I’ll thoroughly check out your questions when I get back.

Is it normal for the option of 40mhz on its own not to be present in the drop down box, even though the manual states it should be?
No. I believe the stand alone option was removed due to wireless changes in policy.

IF have raised this with D-Link and they have recommended that I perform a factory reset and if this does not fix it then I should perform firmware update.
If your not experiencing any problems with the router, I recommend not upgrading. "if it works, don't fix it!"

Furrynutz in your opinion (in laymans terms) I can use broadband speedtest to check my download and upload speeds, as this is done via wireless from my laptop or tablet then I’m not sure how accurate this is.
Its not really recommended to speed test via WiFi due to many variables that can cause inaccurate results....Mfr wireless device design and support will be a factor.  We don't recommend speed testing over WiFi as a default test due to issues like this and many other factors and variables that lead to inaccurate results. Testing over wired LAN cables for default speed tests is preferred.

Can the DIR-655 transmit on the 5Mhz only frequency and if so how do I actually make it do this?
NO it can not. It does not have a 5Ghz radio. You can install and connect a 5Ghz wired D-Link model DAP in addition, then you'll have 5Ghz while still using the 655.

Also I seen in a few other posts do you really need a firewall on your PC if the router actually has one built in?
In most cases, turning off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing and troubleshooting is recommended. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are more effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic. Mines disabled on my PCs.

If I assume my ISP is providing 50mBps how much should I realistically expect (all things being equal) to obtain wirelessly?
Mfr wireless device design and support will be a factor. However ti should be close, depending.

I understand there are a number of variables to take into account: Cable to Modem, Cable from modem to Router, wireless signal output, distance from router, receiving network card.  I think what I’m trying to understand is, what is the best possible throughput of the router to my receiving device
Also your surrounding environment is a factor as well.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jdoherty76

• Level 1 Member

Thanks Furrynutz I appreciate your time and trouble.  I'll do some more investigations, can you explain a little more in detail what you mean by the following?

NO it can not. It does not have a 5Ghz radio. You can install and connect a 5Ghz wired D-Link model DAP in addition, then you'll have 5Ghz while still using the 655.

Thanks JD

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

The 655 router only broadcasts 2.4Ghz. There is no 5Ghz with in the 655 router. If you want to have 5Ghz WiFi and still use the 655 as your main host router, you can install a D-Link model DAP which has both 2.4ghz and 5Ghz and connect it to the 655 and then you'll have 5Ghz WiFi, just using a different AP for 5Ghz broadcast. You can keep the 655 2.4Ghz radio running with the additional DAP, or turn the radio off on the 655 or keep the 655 broadcast running and turn off the 2.4Ghz on the DAP, should you of course install one.  ;)

There are a couple of DAP available for your region I believe:
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges