• April 27, 2024, 03:57:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Basic Vlan Function  (Read 13717 times)

vanbibber

• Level 1 Member
Basic Vlan Function
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »

setting up a basic vlan on my des-1228, first 8 ports, can't get an uplink on that vlan to another switch... tried both a straight through and x-over cable... neither will push packets.

ie..

vlan1 - ports 1-8, uplink on port 1
vlan2 - ports 9-28 uplink trunked on gig copper on 27 and 28 port

vlan2 works like a charm.
vlan1 can't get an uplink

thanks, tim

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Basic Vlan Function
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »

What is VLAN 1 uplinking to?
Do you get link lights?
     On either side?
Do you get traffic lights?
     On either side?
Why don't you create a tagged trunk to carry both VLANs, are they headed to different devices on the uplink side?
Is your uplink tagged or untagged on that VLAN?
are your clients tagged or untagged on that VLAN?
non progredi est regredi

vanbibber

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:41:26 AM »

Vlan 1 uplinks to a switch, which is on a seperate subnet
I get link lights but no traffic lights

I have everything tagged on both lans, all ports that are not on one vlan are set as not member,

This is what i'm trying to do:

have two seperate subnets:

Vlan 1 port 1-9 and 25 (gig) all tagged for that vlan ( port 1 will be the uplink to a different switch)
Vlan 2 port 10-24 and 26-28 (gig) all tagged for that vlan (port 28 gig will be the uplink to a switch)

not sure how to set the tagged or not tagged or not member on each one, instructions don't say what each of the three do. So i'm at a loss.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »

OK, here is the low down.

Any port headed to a non-VLAN aware device should be untagged on the appropriate VLAN.

Any port headed to a VLAN aware device should be tagged on ALL appropriate VLANs.

Meaning:

If your uplink switches are unmanaged you should set every port on each VLAN as an untagged member of that VLAN.

If your uplink switches are VLAN aware and configurable then you should set every non-uplink port to untagged, and you should set your uplink port to be tagged.  If your VLANs are both uplinked to the same switch then you should uplink both VLANs via 1 tagged port.  Else wise you might as well take scenario 1 since it is easier to configure and requires less worrying about possible changes in the future.
non progredi est regredi

vanbibber

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:07:07 AM »

that was a perfect answer, really wish the manuel explained the differences. Thank you so much, makes perfect sense.

tim