• April 26, 2024, 04:09:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Question about NAS failure  (Read 4735 times)

tang

• Level 1 Member
Question about NAS failure
« on: April 06, 2012, 05:23:30 AM »

Hi

My question is general and about disk recovery after NAS failure.
I suppose my DNS-345 dies for a mysterious reason, my data will be lost forever ?
Or if I buy another new DLink NAS (I suppose DLink will continue developping new product) and plug all my HDD on this new NAS, will my data be resurrected or it's utopian to believe it is possible?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Question about NAS failure
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:51 AM »

If your DNS-345 dies and the HDD configuration is undamaged, several recovery options exist. You should be able to swap the HDDs (in the same sequence) into a replacement DNS-345. The compatibility between different ShareCenter models is a bit spotty and depends on the HDD configuration and the two ShareCenter models you're looking to migrate to/from.

The ShareCenter series formats HDDs using the Linux filesystem, so the HDDs aren't directly readable on a Windows PC. Here is a post (located as a sticky at the head of this board) listing several third-party software products that ShareCenter owners have used to mount their HDDs on Windows PCs: DNS-345 - Data Recovery (Windows PCs)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

tang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »

Ok, I suppose mdadm is used by DNS series to manage RAID.
So a Linux environment with mdadm installed makes possible to recover a RAID5 configuration without problems?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »

ShareCenter owners have reported success mounting ShareCenter volumes in the Linux environment. If you are concerned about compatibility, you can always format/configure some new HDDs in the DNS-345 and try mounting them in a Linux.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC