• March 28, 2024, 03:48:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Zavio F3206 is better alternative to DCS-2230  (Read 11630 times)

slakkr

• Level 2 Member
Zavio F3206 is better alternative to DCS-2230
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »

I had DCS-2230 for a couple of weeks and I wasn't fully satisfied with it. While initial impressions were positive, I was disappointed with a few key features.

- narrow lens angle, for this type of camera 67 degree is just not enough
- constant static noise, probably from speaker?
- dusk image quality is not great
- UI, too messy and view page is horrible to use. I couldn't get the camera to work in Chrome browser. Also the resizing the image size is so annoying with 1080p resolution in the web ui. Finally you cannot view video on the camera's webpage on the tablet/mobile phone.

Recently I got Zavio F3206 for $239 shipped. It has 1080p @ 30 fps and addressed some of my concerns:

- F1.8 lens with much wider angle at 88 degrees
- dusk image quality is marginally better
- UI, I love it! It's fast and simple yet practical and the most surprising thing is that camera web page works on mobile/tablet pages (it uses Mjpg streaming). Going from normal to full view is much more straightforward.
- More advanced options over picture and recordings

Other notes about Zavio:

- Image quality/detail appears only slightly better over DCS-2230.
- Doesn't have speaker (there is audio out)
- No IRs. (I actually liked single IR design on DCS-2230, but it's a useless feature if you have camera pointing out of the window, better lens/sensor is what you need)
- I don't like port placement on Zavio at the bottom
- Wireless has pretty good signal strength
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:54:43 AM by slakkr »

Geezer22

• Level 2 Member
Re: Zavio F3206 is better alternative to DCS-2230
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

Finally you cannot view video on the camera's webpage on the tablet/mobile phone.

I don't have any problem viewing video on the camera's webpage using Safari on my iPhone. However, I prefer a camera app, IP Cam Viewer Pro.

Also, does the Zavio have an IR Cut filter or a built-in Passive Infrared sensor like the DCS-2230?

slakkr

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »

Yeah, I use IP Camera viewer as well on my phone, but on a tablet I prefer web page. In any case, been using camera for a week now, excellent image quality and most importantly the wide angle is what makes this a wonderful IP cam for home monitoring. It doesn't have IR or cut filter, but I have no need for it.

slickster

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »

(I actually liked single IR design on DCS-2230, but it's a useless feature if you have camera pointing out of the window, better lens/sensor is what you need)

Strange, because that's exactly how I use it and with satisfactory results: camera inside the windows pointing outside. It has such a sensitive lens that an outside lamp provides enough illumination to capture recognizable images. But I still would consider an additional cam if this Zavio model is better supported with firmware upgrades than DCS-2230.

Joe Public

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

But I still would consider an additional cam if this Zavio model is better supported with firmware upgrades than DCS-2230.
The main problem of DCS-2230 cam is the firmware upgrades. I am lucky to have an updated italian firmware (a big improvement if compared with the ugly 1.00 release!!!), but I cannot understand why D-Link misses to release a WW firmware (or at least to release a new one outside Italy/Russia).
Obviously I suggest you to push your local D-Link tech support in order to have a new firmware for this cam.

Moreover I hope that DCS-2230 and DCS-2210 cams may also have a separate board on this forum (as far as I know, they are the only Full-HD cams under D-Link brand).
Italian User

1 x DNS-325 (NAS) - Fw 1.04b05
1 x DCS-942L (IP Cam) - Fw 1.23.3404
1 x DCS-2230 (Full-HD IP Cam) - Fw 1.20.00
1 x DCS-5222L (HD PTZ cam) - Fw 1.12.3404
2 x DHP-501AV (500 mbps Power-Line kit)
1 x DGS-1005D (5-Port Gigabit Switch)
1 x DGS-1008D (8-Port Gigabit Switch)

slickster

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »

The main problem of DCS-2230 cam is the firmware upgrades. I am lucky to have an updated italian firmware (a big improvement if compared with the ugly 1.00 release!!!), but I cannot understand why D-Link misses to release a WW firmware (or at least to release a new one outside Italy/Russia).
Obviously I suggest you to push your local D-Link tech support in order to have a new firmware for this cam.

I actually updated my firmware to the Italian one and it sure is better than the original. But I would not know where to find a local D-Link tech support around here.

Quote from: Joe Public
Moreover I hope that DCS-2230 and DCS-2210 cams may also have a separate board on this forum (as far as I know, they are the only Full-HD cams under D-Link brand).

Yes, even less capable cams have their own dedicated forum here, but not DCS-2210/2230.
By the way, the specs of the Zavio F3201/3206 models look so similar to DCS-2210/2230 that I think they are made by the same company under contract to different marketing firms.

slakkr

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »

I've been using Zavio since I posted this topic and it's still performs wonderfully, I have not found a better alternative for the price. There is a new camera lines that meet all my requirements, but they are about twice the price http://www.brickcom.com/.

In regards to question about firmware updates. They've had 2 since the release and fixed couple of bugs I personally reported to them, so I am pleased with them and that they continually support the product.