• April 19, 2024, 09:24:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: (FAQ Req.): SD Cards storage auto-rotates, not just stop recording at card full?  (Read 11893 times)

bs27975

• Level 2 Member

I saw a reference elsewhere that once the SD Card fills up, everything stops. {Perhaps it was for a different model.}

The manual says: (pg 31) Video Clips Recording Mode: In the event that the microSD card can not store further recordings, the user can choose to record over previous recordings or to be notified and cease recording.

Given the reference I saw, could someone please confirm that at card full the oldest images will get overwritten in a manner one would expect?

e.g. If a single continuous file is what gets recorded, and that file is deleted at card full, or everything just stops, that would be bad.

(Which begs the question ... what / how are things stored on the SD card? e.g. Distinct video files of 2 minute duration, or something?)

TIA.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

I saw a reference elsewhere that once the SD Card fills up, everything stops. {Perhaps it was for a different model.}

The manual says: (pg 31) Video Clips Recording Mode: In the event that the microSD card can not store further recordings, the user can choose to record over previous recordings or to be notified and cease recording.

Given the reference I saw, could someone please confirm that at card full the oldest images will get overwritten in a manner one would expect?

e.g. If a single continuous file is what gets recorded, and that file is deleted at card full, or everything just stops, that would be bad.

(Which begs the question ... what / how are things stored on the SD card? e.g. Distinct video files of 2 minute duration, or something?)

TIA.

I think it was a different forum.

If you use regular SD recording here, you are fine.   I believe what you are referring to, it will stop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2000000+Megabytes

1.90735 Terabytes = 2000000 Megabytes

I have had no issues with my DCS 2230 deleting previous files and starting new file.  A 32 gb card fills up in about 24 hours.

I had an 8 gb card in my 2132L for a day or 2, and didn't remember it not working at any point.  It did slow down my FTP capture by a few seconds sometimes for motion activation (I have it set for 3 seconds before activation, but it reality, with SD recording on, it was 3 seconds after activation, which was too late in 80% of what I need recorded).

bs27975

• Level 2 Member

A 32 gb card fills up in about 24 hours.

Thanks for that.

(I have it set for 3 seconds before activation, but it reality, with SD recording on, it was 3 seconds after activation, which was too late in 80% of what I need recorded).

Does that mean if you had set 6 seconds before you would have gotten what you wanted, or that you needed to set -3 seconds?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

Thanks for that.

Does that mean if you had set 6 seconds before you would have gotten what you wanted, or that you needed to set -3 seconds?

"3" is max pre-recording you can do on a video clip file, which lasts only 13 seconds , because of the 5k FTP limit.

For 2132L

Video Clip
    Source:
    Pre-event recording:  Second(s) [0~3]
    Maximum duration:  Second(s) [1~100]
    Maximum file size:  Kbytes [100~5000]

VIDEO PROFILE 2
Frame size   640x360

View window area    640x360

Maximum frame rate   30

Video quality
    Fixed quality   

bs27975

• Level 2 Member

Well, that's just irritating.

I hesitate to suggest this, and I'll assume you've already considered it, but is it time to give up on the camera as a turnkey self-contained solution? If you're already ftp'ing, you're somewhat beyond that already?

Can your ftp server pull instead of push? rsync? script? (robocopy, if win based?) (Was it you in another thread unhappy that you can no longer get a static filename for the last snapshot? - script a directory watch and link the latest file to a static name, to which the cgi can point to?)

Or an external stream evaluator, such as zoneminder? (Perhaps in a vm?)

I haven't got one yet, myself, but I'm assuming from your comment that this is an ftp delivery mechanism limit, and 5K may not apply to other paths?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

I'm lost lol... Is there something backwards about using FTP for video files?

I use one of these locally, on my network: (can also do an ad-hoc network).

That's what I was showing, the limits on the 2132l FTP video size/options.

So if someone enters, they are never going to know to look for one of these hidden away in a wall or something.  They'll see the camera for sure, maybe take the sd card, destroy the camera, etc.. but they'll be stored away on that stick some where.

Well, that's just irritating.

I hesitate to suggest this, and I'll assume you've already considered it, but is it time to give up on the camera as a turnkey self-contained solution? If you're already ftp'ing, you're somewhat beyond that already?

Can your ftp server pull instead of push? rsync? script? (robocopy, if win based?) (Was it you in another thread unhappy that you can no longer get a static filename for the last snapshot? - script a directory watch and link the latest file to a static name, to which the cgi can point to?)

Or an external stream evaluator, such as zoneminder? (Perhaps in a vm?)

I haven't got one yet, myself, but I'm assuming from your comment that this is an ftp delivery mechanism limit, and 5K may not apply to other paths?

bs27975

• Level 2 Member

Well that's just irritating.

I'm lost lol... Is there something backwards about using FTP for video files?

Sorry, guess I didn't say that very well.

What is irritating is the small size of the ftp files possible.

What I was suggesting was rather than have the camera push the files to your ftp directory, would it be useful if your ftp box pulled the files from the camera - if I understand correctly, for example, the files it will store to the sdcard are larger.

So if you pulled from the camera sdcard via script (e.g. rsync daemon running every 5 minutes?), you would end up with fewer, albeit larger, files.

If that's useful at all.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

Okay - got ya...

Yeah, I'm annoyed by the small ftp sizes, but the iUSBport doesn't do any of that. 

Maybe I could get a Raspberry Pi+ and do all that, but I'm not about to.

Sorry, guess I didn't say that very well.

What is irritating is the small size of the ftp files possible.

What I was suggesting was rather than have the camera push the files to your ftp directory, would it be useful if your ftp box pulled the files from the camera - if I understand correctly, for example, the files it will store to the sdcard are larger.

So if you pulled from the camera sdcard via script (e.g. rsync daemon running every 5 minutes?), you would end up with fewer, albeit larger, files.

If that's useful at all.

bs27975

• Level 2 Member

Hold on, now I'm confused.

iUSB port? How does a USB port come into things - I'm missing something.

If you're ftp'ing somewhere now, it's landing somewhere. I wondered whether that thing could pull it, instead.

But, I'm now getting that I made the assumption the camera is not only a push device - it makes available external access to its SD card via SMB or something, so things can pull from it, not just receive pushes. Am I dreaming?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

Hold on, now I'm confused.

iUSB port? How does a USB port come into things - I'm missing something.

If you're ftp'ing somewhere now, it's landing somewhere. I wondered whether that thing could pull it, instead.

But, I'm now getting that I made the assumption the camera is not only a push device - it makes available external access to its SD card via SMB or something, so things can pull from it, not just receive pushes. Am I dreaming?

iUSBport (formerly CloudFTP), it a standalone device that is an FTP server.

I've configured my dcs camera FTP option to FTP to this device.

http://www.hypershop.com/iUSBport-p/iusb-black.htm

bs27975

• Level 2 Member

Well, ain't that just spiffy!

Instant NAS! Cool.

Strangely, I couldn't see anything about it accepting ftp, but given the name CloudFTP, I'll assume. (-:

By any chance ... if it will take ftp, will it take SMB / Samba? I see something in the camera docs about supporting Samba, but not yet sure whether that's pushing out to a share, or can be read as a share.

If it will push out to a share, any chance it will push out larger files than ftp?