• May 15, 2024, 01:14:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1.7mbps slowwww :(  (Read 5632 times)

pinoguin

• Level 1 Member
1.7mbps slowwww :(
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »

Hi,

I just successfully setup my 323 with 2 seagate 1.5TB's, upgraded the firmware to 1.08 and attempted to transfer files...

The maximum transfer speed I'm getting right now is about 1-2mb/s... I am using wireless btw, could this be the bottleneck? I am using an old linksys wrt54g, will upgrading the wireless router solve the issue ?

I could use cables but that would remove the convenience of using my laptop.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: 1.7mbps slowwww :(
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »

The maximum transfer speed I'm getting right now is about 1-2mb/s... I am using wireless btw, could this be the bottleneck?

BINGO!  You hit the nail on the head there.

Upgrading from wireless-g should show some improvement - I would guess double what you're seeing now - so now you get to choose between speed & convenience.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

pinoguin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »

Looks like it :) thanks for confirming.

I'm not really an expert in routers, I never took notice of speeds until I bought this first NAS of mine. From what I see there are now Wireless-N's (300mbps vs 54mbps?), is that suitable? I am a bit confused with the mbits/mbps difference here, when it says 54mbps in wireless-g's I thought it was in megabytes or something like that, but I ended up with much less  :-\

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »

The short answer is, any non-wired solution is going to be slow. It's the equivalent of using 2 cans and a string.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »

Very briefly - wireless connection speeds are purely theoretical, so your 54mbps wireless-g connection will never deliver anything more than 20~25mbps, which translates to 2.5~3 MByte/sec., and a 300mbps wireless-n is unlikely to get you much more than 80mbps.

pinoguin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

I just bought an N router and n N usb stick, got around 6mbytes/sec maximum.

I got really confused with the mbps vs mbytes/sec  :-\

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »

6 MByte/sec on wireless-n is not bad, but you can possibly triple that if you went wired (gigabit) - your choice.

Regarding the mbps/MByte/sec thing - it's 8 bits to a byte, but a good "rule of thumb" is to just divide by ten (rather than eight) - the mbps is more of a data throughput measurement, and also includes some amount of "overhead", stuff like source & destination addresses, CRC checksums, and so on - MByte/sec is more of a file transfer measurement.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »

I just bought an N router and n N usb stick, got around 6mbytes/sec maximum.

I got really confused with the mbps vs mbytes/sec  :-\

It's really easy if you think of your internet connection speed vs your download speeds. Let's say you have a 24mbps (Mbits/sec) connection. But, how fast can you download? This is measured in MB/sec (MBytes/sec) and is calculated by dividing your connection speed by 8 (1 Byte = 8 bits):

24mbps / 8 = 3MB/sec

Of course, you never get the theoritical maximum, do you?  ;)