• April 24, 2024, 07:44:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: No Internet when connected to the DIR-615  (Read 46789 times)

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
Re: No Internet when connected to the DIR-615
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »

"ISP is Parknet and country is Denmark."

What is your general internet speed? Parknet offers either fiber (FTTP) at 200/200Mbps or DOCSIS(EuorDOCIS?) 3.0  at 40/10Mbps as per their support page. That would mean either a DOCSIS modem or fiber ONT is somewhere in the complex.

So that will answer what you are physically using for internet, however the bigger unknown is what your apartment complex does with it. I'm hoping IPconfig info and screenshots from the router will help show that.

Something you can try on a hunch is clone the MAC address of the DIR-635 to the DIR-615. See here for general instructions, but you would want to enter the WAN MAC address of the DIR-635 instead of your PC's MAC. That way the new router should look like the old router to the complex's network. This would get around any MAC whitelisting or ARP caches. However I have a feeling default settings on the router won't work and we are missing some setting we need to configure in the DIR-615.
Our complex was originally on a 50/50 deal, though they apparently upgraded it to a 100/100 deal for free. It's never quite up there though. Speedtest.net reports 92/55 right now.

Hard Harry

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »

Based on the fact that the speeds are symmetric, I am going to assume it's fiber then. I found this page which describe how the ISP works. It's a non-profit collective of housing authorities(HOA) owned by the user. This makes the situation much more complicated because there is no default install or setup. It's different for each HOA. From this page;

"Parknet is a user-owned organization that provides telephony, internet and TV to Parknets members. Membership is open to housing associations, associations broadband, antenna, colleges and the like.
The member must pay the costs associated with the connection of the member to Parknets network. Due Parknets attractive prices serve member associations normally costs of connection home quickly."

I was digging around for a support page, but can't find one. I did find one mention that the default router they give out is the DIR-850L so that tells us we are in the right ballpark at least. I also found mention that they charge extra for both public IP and static IPs, which would leave the default to be private DHCP IPs. Did you pay someone before to use a static IP?

Hard Harry

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »

Also, at this point I know enough to  be comfortable remoting in if that would speed things along. If you are comfortable with me remoting in, just let me know and I will start working out the details. I assume your PC uses a Windows OS of some type?

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »

Based on the fact that the speeds are symmetric, I am going to assume it's fiber then. I found this page which describe how the ISP works. It's a non-profit collective of housing authorities(HOA) owned by the user. This makes the situation much more complicated because there is no default install or setup. It's different for each HOA. From this page;

"Parknet is a user-owned organization that provides telephony, internet and TV to Parknets members. Membership is open to housing associations, associations broadband, antenna, colleges and the like.
The member must pay the costs associated with the connection of the member to Parknets network. Due Parknets attractive prices serve member associations normally costs of connection home quickly."

I was digging around for a support page, but can't find one. I did find one mention that the default router they give out is the DIR-850L so that tells us we are in the right ballpark at least. I also found mention that they charge extra for both public IP and static IPs, which would leave the default to be private DHCP IPs. Did you pay someone before to use a static IP?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fiber. Our apartment complex is in an area where there's fiber, so that's why they made a deal with the ISP. Yes, the default is private IPs. They do indeed charge extra for public IPs, but they give them out free if you're just using them to game with. So I ended up not paying.

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

https://ibb.co/jRwpwF

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : parknet.dk
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.61.254
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.61.1

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:32:26 PM by mads920d »

Hard Harry

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »

They do indeed charge extra for public IPs, but they give them out free if you're just using them to game with. So I ended up not paying.

Could you explain that a bit more? It seems odd to me that an ISP would charge for something but then give it for free if used for gaming. I guess things are just different when the user literally owns the ISP.  ;D

Either Way, you are right, it should still work with default settings using a private IP. I think where the issue is what those default setting should be. Did you happen to buy the DIR-635 from Parknet? If so, did you buy the DIR-615 from someone else? It's possible the D-link routers Parknet gives out are flashed with specific settings for that HOA's network. This could be tested if you still have the DIR-635 by defaulting both and comparing the settings. However I feel like  we are then backward engineering what could be ascertained by asking Parknet. I could email them at support@parknet.dk but I think google translate would make me sound like a nincompoop.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:32:56 AM by Hard Harry »

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »

They do indeed charge extra for public IPs, but they give them out free if you're just using them to game with. So I ended up not paying.

Could you explain that a bit more? It seems odd to me that an ISP would charge for something but then give it for free if used for gaming. I guess things are just different when the user literally owns the ISP.  ;D

Either Way, you are right, it should still work with default settings using a private IP. I think where the issue is what those default setting should be. Did you happen to buy the DIR-635 from Parknet? If so, did you buy the DIR-615 from someone else? It's possible the D-link routers Parknet gives out are flashed with specific settings for that HOA's network. This could be tested if you still have the DIR-635 by defaulting both and comparing the settings. However I feel like  we are then backward engineering what could be ascertained by asking Parknet. I could email them at support@parknet.dk but I think google translate would make me sound like a nincompoop.
Never bought anything from them besides the internet.

I can translate for you but what do you want to say, and whom would you appear as in your e-mail? A resident or just someone interested?

Sidenote, what do you mean by HOA?

The other router I ordered should come tomorrow, btw. If it works shouldn't I be able to use those settings in the DIR-615?

Hard Harry

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »

Please include the full IP info. The reason the call it private is not because of privacy, but because it's a private or local area connection (LAN) type IP. You generally don't want to give out your public IP for privacy issues, but even then since Parknet uses carrier NAT, it wouldn't matter that much. DO NOT include the IPv6 address and even disable IPv6 all together if possible.

If I am understanding correctly, how Parknet works is similar to the fiber network between cell phone towers is the US. Except instead of cell phone towers as endpoints, it goes into a LAN for each HOA. That LAN is giving out a 10.x.x.x IP scheme with a range of 253 possible IPs. This seems small when you consider Parknet requires 200+ users for each HOA, especially if your HOA upgraded for higher speed. You might be subnetting under another router between the main parknet router for your HOA and that ethernet outlet. Hoping full IP info (within privacy) will show more.  :)

Hard Harry

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »

HOA = Home Owner's Associations, or the people that manage the apartment complex where you live. They work out a deal with Parknet to provide residents internet.

"The other router I ordered should come tomorrow, btw. If it works shouldn't I be able to use those settings in the DIR-615?"

Yes, however they need to both be Dlink DIR type routers or similar kinds for it to be relevant. Are you buying the routers from a common online retailer? Are the router's refurbished or second hand?

I think the main issue is your apartment complex only has so many IP's and the system that recycles them isn't working correctly. The questions I would ask them is how many devices are you allowed to connect to the network and is there a process of adding new devices. Plugging it in with default settings didn't work, so what should the settings be? If they say default settings SHOULD work, then we troubleshoot why they aren't. Trying with a different router would help with that process. Or they might respond with a easy process of adding a device. I am hoping they just need you to give them the MAC ID on the bottom of the DIR-615 like shown here.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:16:29 PM by Hard Harry »

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

I edited the above post with all the ipconfig info.

The router I should be getting tomorrow is the cheapest that I found, I believe it is a TP-Link TL-WR841N. Normal online retailer with also physical stores. Don't think they do anything out of the ordinary to the routers prior.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:36:09 PM by mads920d »

Hard Harry

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:10 PM »

" IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.61.254
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0"

I think that shows the issue right there. Your PC is getting the last IP in the 10.108.61.x block. It goes from 10.108.61.2 through 10.108.61.2.255 if on that subnet. What is your wireless connected to? That seems to have more IP's available with 192.168.0.101 though 192.168.0.255.

One test would be to see if your IP changes if you plug your PC into a different ethernet jack. If it doesn't, then the network tracks the MAC address and allows it before DHCP takes place. If it does change, it will be interesting to know what it changes to.

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 01:09:25 PM »

" IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.61.254
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0"

I think that shows the issue right there. Your PC is getting the last IP in the 10.108.61.x block. It goes from 10.108.61.2 through 10.108.61.2.255 if on that subnet. What is your wireless connected to? That seems to have more IP's available with 192.168.0.101 though 192.168.0.255.

One test would be to see if your IP changes if you plug your PC into a different ethernet jack. If it doesn't, then the network tracks the MAC address and allows it before DHCP takes place. If it does change, it will be interesting to know what it changes to.
What do you mean what is my wireless connected to? I also don't know what you mean by plugging my PC into a different ethernet jack. If you mean the two ethernet jacks in the wall then only one of them will even register on my PC. The one that doesn't work can register the routers WiFi, although it obviously can't connect to it.

Hard Harry

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »

"What do you mean what is my wireless connected to?"

If your PC is connected to the ethernet jack, then I assume the router is not, and thus unplugged. If so, what other wireless device is your PC connecting to? Does the complex have public wifi separate from your personal wifi networks?

"The one that doesn't work can register the routers WiFi, although it obviously can't connect to it."

Could you explain? If you're connected to it with ethernet between jack and PC, what would it have to do with wifi?

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »

"What do you mean what is my wireless connected to?"

If your PC is connected to the ethernet jack, then I assume the router is not, and thus unplugged. If so, what other wireless device is your PC connecting to? Does the complex have public wifi separate from your personal wifi networks?

"The one that doesn't work can register the routers WiFi, although it obviously can't connect to it."

Could you explain? If you're connected to it with ethernet between jack and PC, what would it have to do with wifi?
Think we're confusing each other  :)

This is how the ethernet jack looks:

https://ibb.co/mXsqmF

Router connects with both I believe, but ethernet directly to PC only works with the green. So I can have both ethernet and router connected simulatenously. 

Hard Harry

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »

I am guessing but maybe the green port is for data and the red port is for video service over ethernet. That would explain the "C 04" and "D 04" labeling. Is that the only jack in your apartment? The fact that the jacks are labeled means they are managed. A managed jack will usually only allow certain devices to connect to it while a unmanaged jack will act like one on a unmanaged switch, and bridge the connection to whatever you have connected to it.

Can you plug another PC into the red jack and see what IP you get then? Or connect the DIR-615 and see what IP it has on it's status screen. I am pretty sure now the issue is there aren't any unassigned IP left to give the new device. Either the complex's network needs to release access to IPs not in use so you can use one, or if they are all used, get the network changed to allow more. Or as a 3rd option, clone the MAC of the new router to get the same IP the old router got.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8