• April 26, 2024, 07:39:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 2 routers down at the same time  (Read 5492 times)

Axl

• Level 1 Member
2 routers down at the same time
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »

My computer self starts at 6:45 each morning. I get up at 7, get my coffee, sit down at the desk, and no I-net. Lights on the cable modem and router are normal. A D-link DKT-408 N.
My phone is connected through the wireless, but I can't get anywhere on the net with it either. Works OK on 4G LTE data.

I re-boot the modem and router. Still nothing. Connect the lan cable from computer to the modem, and I have Internet. I call the Comcast number and get a modem restart through them. Still no good through the router.

Now, I take the router off-line and swap it out for my backup D-link DI-524 G router. Same thing. No I-net through it or wireless. The G has been in a box for several months.

So now I re-connect the N router and get to the menu with my browser. The menu is totally wiped. There IS no menu. Pages are there, but the pages are blank. Can I flash it to get the menu back?

Back to the G router, and the menu is OK. But I still can't connect through it, either wireless or with LAN cable.

So now I'm thinking something with the computer might be screwed up. Any ideas? I'm using WinXP sp3.

Axl

• Level 1 Member
Re: 2 routers down at the same time
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:34:49 AM »

Strange forum. This will be very "Labor intensive" for the mods.
Why was my problem moved to NEWS where it won't get any responses?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »

The DKT-408 is based on a DIR-615 and a DWA-130.

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
What region are you located?

Has a Factory Reset been performed?
What browser are you using?
Try Opera or FF? If IE 8 or 9, set compatibility mode and test again.

What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?

If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
Double NAT
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

Couple of 2ndary options:
1. Try to reload FW code for the DIR-615 Rev# model router that you have. Use the following process: FW Update Process

2. If you can't gain access to the routers web page, try the following process: Emergency Recovery Mode. You could try this for the 524. I'm not sure if it work work for this particular model.

3. Try  accessing the routers using a different PC. Use IE or FF to gain access. Chrome exhibits problems.

If either one of these fails to get the routers going, you'll need to contact your local DLink support office and request an RMA. The DI-524 is no longer supported and has been phased out.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:44:48 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Axl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »

The DKT-408 is based on a DIR-615 and a DWA-130.

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.

HW Ver E3   FW Ver 5.10

What region are you located?
Michigan USA

Has a Factory Reset been performed?
Yes

What browser are you using?
Try Opera or FF? If IE 8 or 9, set compatibility mode and test again.[/b]
Chrome, IE, FF

What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?

If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
Double NAT
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
I own the router. A Motorola SB5300.  The modem works fine, as I said in my OP.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.

Re-read my OP please.  There is no menu. All pages are blank.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
Again, re-read my OP.  I can access the I-net without the routers.

Couple of 2ndary options:
1. Try to reload FW code for the DIR-615 Rev# model router that you have. Use the following process: FW Update Process
I will try to re-flash the router.

2. If you can't gain access to the routers web page, try the following process: Emergency Recovery Mode. You could try this for the 524. I'm not sure if it work work for this particular model.
The 524 has its webpage. The router is not passing info through to the PC. I will try to re-flash the one router.

3. Try  accessing the routers using a different PC. Use IE or FF to gain access. Chrome exhibits problems.

If either one of these fails to get the routers going, you'll need to contact your local DLink support office and request an RMA. The DI-524 is no longer supported and has been phased out.
Or buy another router.

As stated in my OP, I have 2 routers that I have tried. Neither one of them pass info through.
I have 2 boot drives. An IDE and a SATA.  I reconfigured the BIOS to boot the SATA, and have the same problem. Neither router is passing info through to the PC. Neither router is passing info over wireless.
I use AVG for virus protection. It is up to date.

The last line of my OP asked if the computer might be at fault.  What should be checked there?

Thanks

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »

Again, Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.

Please verify the ISP Modem model number, I can't seem to pull up any information on a SB 5300. Theres a 5100 and 6 Series models.

I would also update network adapter drivers as well. Can you open a command line DOS box in windows and run the following command: ping 192.168.0.1. I suspect that you might not get any response or it will fail. Open up networking options for the network adapter and look at the status, is there an IP addressing information there?

Try a different PC? Try different cables to be sure, swap out.

If after all this, and the 615 can't be recovered using the recovery info, the 615 will need to be RMAd.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:11:39 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Axl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »

Again, Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
I have no firewall

Please verify the ISP Modem model number, I can't seem to pull up any information on a SB 5300. Theres a 5100 and 6 Series models.
Sorry. Misread it. Model SB5100

I would also update network adapter drivers as well. Can you open a command line DOS box in windows and run the following command: ping 192.168.0.1. I suspect that you might not get any response or it will fail. Open up networking options for the network adapter and look at the status, is there an IP addressing information there?
Adapter drivers are updated, and the network is OK if I connect directly to the modem. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get on this forum.

Try a different PC? Try different cables to be sure, swap out.
Cannot access the menu with my laptop. There is no menu.

If after all this, and the 615 can't be recovered using the recovery info, the 615 will need to be RMAd.
Looks like my only option for the 615.

I have gotten my phone to link with the DI-524, but I can't use the I-net with it. Data is not being passed through. Could the trouble be with my modem? If I direct connect to it, it works. As soon as I connect a router, all signs point to it being OK, but I can't access the I-net with it.

Getting ready to pull out what hair I have left.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 01:39:10 PM »

I would power OFF the ISP modem and factory reset the 524, this should force all default settings back to factory. You can do this even while the 524 isn't connected to the ISP modem. Just the PC and the 524. If you can get the factory settings back, and access the 524s web page then it should be a matter of reconnecting the ISP modem back to the 524, power the 524 OFF, power ON the ISP modem, power ON the 524 and it should connect and get a IP address. You might need to manually set up the 524. Not sure. Check the status PAGE on the 524 if you can get access it it and see if there is any WAN or Internet addressing information. It should start to display something if the cable between the ISP modem is good and working well.

I would possibly take these routers to a computer repair shop and ask if someone can verify connections and operations of the routers before going to RMA and getting a new one. I would go to some place like best buy and get you a different router to see if something new will work. Places like Best Buy have refund policies.

Axl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »

OK.  The battle is now half won.
I powered it all off, and did a factory reset on the 524.
Desktop is now accessing the net through the router, and the phone is now working through the wireless.
I have setup the security, and all seems to be well.
Many thanks for putting up with me.

Now, I'll try to get the N router working again, tomorrow.
I've had enough for one day.

Thanks

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 06:57:37 AM »

Good Job.  ;)