• April 19, 2024, 10:13:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 2.4 GHz cordless phone causes DLink to re-boot  (Read 5021 times)

HJKeats

• Level 1 Member
2.4 GHz cordless phone causes DLink to re-boot
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »

I have read the manual, albeit after I purchased the router, and discovered that a cordless phone and a DLink router is not a good mix. I tried many scenarios such as changing channels and the like to eventually taking the phone out of the environment. Unplugging the phone worked as the router stayed up for more than three days. The only advice the tech's at DLink offered was to buy a new 5GHz phone. They could not address the issue of why the router re-boots when the cordless phone interferes with the router. It would seem that when the phone rings "not answered" affects the router. I check the log file and it has reset when I am not at home. This is the most disconcerting part, the router re-boots and has taking as much as 20 minutes to resolve an IP from the ISP.

Is this a common occurrence for a DIR-615 or any other 2.4GHz router and will a 5GHz cordless phone resolve the issue.

Lesson 1: buyer beware of other wireless devices in your environment and the possibility of frequency interferences... Packaging does not address this eventuality...

funchords

• Level 3 Member
Re: 2.4 GHz cordless phone causes DLink to re-boot
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »

It's very common.  Getting a 900 MHz or a 5 GHz cordless helps.  Sometimes putting the 2.4 GHz AP either on channel 1 or 11 will keep the phone on the other end of the band.

Space is a good insulator.  Put the DIR-615 in a place where you're unlikely to wander with the cordless in your hand, and you'll have fewer problems than otherwise. 

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »

The newer DECT 6 (6Ghz) phones are touted to be wi-fi friendly.

gshaghoian

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »

They're on the exact same frequency. Of course they are going to interefere.

Either move the phone and router as far away from each other as possible, or purhase a 5ghz phones.

Changing the channel on the router is a minor adjustment that probably will not resolve the issue.