• March 28, 2024, 08:23:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to set cam for "local" only, no internet  (Read 3496 times)

wmesc

• Level 1 Member
How to set cam for "local" only, no internet
« on: November 26, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »

Due to apparent high data usage, I cannot continue to keep my DCS-960L, and other models, connected to the internet full time. I AM NOT storing video steams on the cloud. I have tested this a couple of times and each time I unplug everything then plug it back in, my data usage jumps by about 10 gigs per day, even with just one cam. I want to be able to use the camera as a monitor while I am home, but reconnect to the internet when I am away. Is there any way to adjust the settings so I can view the cam locally, only over my wifi?

Thanks

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: How to set cam for "local" only, no internet
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 12:16:06 PM »

Something doesn't sound right.

How are you streaming?  Via your local network?  Or are you making a trip outbound?  Even if you were going "outbound" to your public IP address - your router should know (I think) that the request is inside.  Unless of course you are on the mydlink app.

wmesc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »

Mostly the settings are still at the default. I turned off all the options to save anything anywhere. All I am really asking is if there is a way to detach the camera from using the interent and only use it as a "local" cam. I say "local" because in the MyDlink Lite app there are options for "Local" and "Remote" (This is the only app I see with this option). That sounds to me like you can view over your own wifi, local, not going out over the internet, or remote, going over the internet. I just want to sever the internet connection and still have the wifi connection. Just having it connected, and never viewing anything, is using 10 GB a day. BTW, I turned it off again 2 days ago and, again, the total usage dropped significantly. Thanks

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

What you are saying is rather impossible.

If you are not streaming - some people must be?

Do you have port forwarding enabled and shared the camera out?

You could remove it from your mydlink account.

How are you determining 10GB are being used by no one, per day?  I looked at my router - my DCS-960L is not consuming data.  My DNR202L is recording a 960L and DCS-2330L? and that's around 10GB per day to that device.  But that's not counting against bandwidth with the cable company.