• April 22, 2024, 07:01:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR-615 bad firmware?  (Read 36952 times)

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 bad firmware?
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »

So of late each time I try to upgrade to firmware rev. 2.25 from v2.24 that I purchased in Feb. of last year, ANY changes I make to the interface after upgrade makes the thing reboot constantly, right after the settings have been applied, no matter if it's a small or large change. (I don't backup the configs, as that just introduces potential trouble I don't need. I reapply the settings I want manually.)

Example: Let's say on v2.25 I want to set WPA2 on, (By default the thing leaves the wireless WIDE OPEN.) and want to set it to WPA2 Personal, AES.

I follow the necessary directions to ensure it has the maximum wireless security, correct?

Then when it comes time to save and reboot the router, the MOMENT it comes up, I cannot make a connection to it, as it immediately begins a constant reboot loop that is only fixed by a reset of the router.

Any other changes besides the wireless security also results in the same symptom. (Why it does this, I'm not sure. The only thing I can think of is a bad firmware or an underlying hardware issue that was revealed by firmware v2.25)

If, however, I DROP back to firmware v2.24, it becomes immediately rock-solid. No reboots after security settings are applied, DNS changes applied, ANYTHING that requires a save and reboot, causes no immediate reboot loop that never ceases until reset.

What's the deal? Why is my router doing this with v2.25 and NOT v2.24?

All I want is to know, as I've decided until I can figure out exactly why it's doing it, to not update to v2.25. :/

Edit: D-Link DIR-615, Rev. B2, Firmware v2.24
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:33:44 PM by Keiro »

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 bad firmware?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »

Anyone? :/

There should at least be someone who knows something. :/

I've noticed there's a beta firmware, but I'm not exactly willing to touch it, as I don't know what it does. >_>

Would it fix the issues that v2.25 was having?

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:13:07 AM »

Actually, this isn't un-useful. This is what I've SEEN on my router. :/

I cannot honestly figure out why every time the latest firmware for DIR-615, rev. B2 simply fails to work whenever I try applying any sort of changes.

Looks like you didn't bother to read my post, but just in case you did, I'm not here to mud-sling. I'm here to ask for HELP on my router. Nice assuming I'm here to mud-sling. :/ I took a screenshot of my post, just in case, due to others' responses.

In any case, it'd really be nice if I knew what I could do to get the firmware v2.25 to stop spazzing every time I try enabling WPA2 or any other setting other than the defaults. I described the steps I took to enable features that would protect the wireless network, and that's what I got. :/

I didn't think to try v2.24 until several months later when I had an "AHA!" moment and tried it. Rock solid compared to v2.25.

And besides, I wanted to know if v2.25 was bad, due to the symptoms that my router exhibited, due to what I've read on DSLReports. :/

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:14:24 PM »

Example: Let's say on v2.25 I want to set WPA2 on, (By default the thing leaves the wireless WIDE OPEN.) and want to set it to WPA2 Personal, AES.

I follow the necessary directions to ensure it has the maximum wireless security, correct?

Then when it comes time to save and reboot the router, the MOMENT it comes up, I cannot make a connection to it,

This is exactly what happens to me.  It does not keep rebooting though.  However, I'm locked out, and the only way I'm able to connect to it again is reset it back to factory, and go through the setup process all over again.  When it's an open network, I get 300Mbps, in WEP mode I only get 54Mps, in WPA2-PSK/AES (also known as WPA2 mode), I am locked out.

Did anyone respond to you?  Did you figure out the problem?

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:46:44 PM »

No.

What's your hardware version? Firmware revision?

Knowing this'd let me help ya out, as I've helped out a couple DIR-615 Rev. C users with 3.11NA firmware.

No one's responded, and even trying the beta firmware here doesn't help. My router refuses to take the firmware, so... heck if I know.

If you're on Rev. B2 and on firmware v2.25, download the Rev. B2 router firmware version v2.24 from here:

D-Link DIR-615 Rev. B Support page.]http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-615&rev=DIR-615_revB]D-Link DIR-615 Rev. B Support page.

Switch to Support Resources and click on the link for Firmware on said page and you'll see several versions.

You'll want v2.24, as that is the most stable revision for me. It should also fix your issue of being locked out every time you enable WPA2-PSK/AES.

And as you've clearly noticed, no one's responded and I've got one snarky answer back about wasting time, when I clearly detailed steps of how I encountered the issues I've seen. :/

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »

What's your hardware version? Firmware revision?
Not sure, I know the firmware is 1.10, and the hardware is 1A or something like that.
I've managed to lock myself out of the setup utility.  Now it' won't accept my password.  I have Internet at least, and can connect at 300Mbps.  Is there any way of retrieving my password without having to reset and start all over again...for the fifth time.?

Switch to Support Resources and click on the link for Firmware on said page and you'll see several versions.

You'll want v2.24, as that is the most stable revision for me. It should also fix your issue of being locked out every time you enable WPA2-PSK/AES.

I'll check it out.  I must have the very first version of firmware.  I did just buy this.  I hope updating it will be easy, and not lock me out again.

And as you've clearly noticed, no one's responded and I've got one snarky answer back about wasting time, when I clearly detailed steps of how I encountered the issues I've seen. :/
Well, that's not very nice.  They must be taking lessons from LinkSys. 

I bought a wireless router, (that is now in the trash), and went to their supposed forum for support, after sitting on hold for nearly an hour twice, and trying that live chat which also proved as useless as my router.  I found a message describing exactly what I was going through.  I asked if he had resolved it, and he responded no, and then told me about his experience with customer support.  I responded by describing my experience, and went on to point out of what a joke the customer support was. 

I was immediately banned from the site,and Tech support would not respond.  I sued the dog poo out of them, and then raked them over the coals with the Federal Trade Commission.  When they were done, I went to the BBB, and files a complaint.I'm sure they have a very poor customer service rating.  After being knocked down a couple of pegs, I'm sure they will think twice before pulling that kind nonsense again.  You never know who knows who in what high places, and who has a Pit Bull of an Attorney for a cousin... I wound up throwing the router into the trash, and bought a D-Link.  At least in open mode it works.  The LinkSys would not even install.  Never got past step 1.

I suppose that's what happens when people get to thinking they are to good to respond to common folk, much like Microsoft.  That's fine, Netscape started behaving like that too, and you see where they are today.....They went from #1 to out of business.  The moral is, don't bite the hand that feeds you i.e. get off your high horse, and show your customers some respect.  Without customers, there is no company.

Jim.

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »

You can find out what hardware revision you've got by looking at the bottom of the router.

It should say something similar to Rev. A, Rev. B., Rev. B2, Rev. C.

And it should also say what firmware it has.

I'd say you'd probably need to reset the router so you can properly flash it once you've got the updated firmware.

I hate to say that... but since you were locked out, it looks like you need to do that. :(

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »

You can find out what hardware revision you've got by looking at the bottom of the router.

It should say something similar to Rev. A, Rev. B., Rev. B2, Rev. C.
And it should also say what firmware it has.]

I'd say you'd probably need to reset the router so you can properly flash it once you've got the updated firmware.
I hate to say that... but since you were locked out, it looks like you need to do that. :(

Okay, I downloaded the firmware, and reset the router.  My world makes sense again. 

It is A1 Hardware, and 1.10 firmware.  Is this firmware compatible with my hardware?  Am I supposed to upgrade the hardware somehow with a chip or something?  ???

Is it going to reset itself when I flash it and I'm back to setting up again, does that mean that there is an Asteroid heading toward my world? :o

Here is what some would consider a very stupid question, mind you, when it comes to Access database programing,  I'm among the best you can find.  I have been programing for 30 years, started when programs were stacks of punch cards made with a key punch machine, and 64K of memory took up an entire room.  The monitor was a type machine.  Dinosaur eh, (the computer, not me ;D)?  Exactly how do I "flash" the router? I remember that I had "flashed" a printer in the last century, but I do not remember how I did it.  I noticed that both files are binary, that is what a .bin file was back in the day...

I have both 2.24, and 2.25
I'm definitely going to start with 2.24 as you gave such glowing reviews on it.  When I'm over the shell-shock of today, and feeling brave, I'll give the 2.25 a whirl.

Thanks,
Jim.

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »

Oh dear.

I see that your A1 router has no current firmware. 1.10 is the current one.

It appears that 1.00 is the last revision prior to 1.10. (... Why is it 1.00 and nothing else after it til 1.10 popped up?)

The version I have is B2. Therefore, I can use v2.24.

No, you're not supposed to upgrade the firmware with a chip or anything of the sort.

As far as I can tell, without having a DIR-615 Rev. A1 on hand to test, firmware 1.00 looks like it may fix it for you.

Then again, the other revision firmwares might work too, but I honestly don't know.

I'll include a picture of where you'll need to flash the router.

First, we need you to log into the router. Obviously, you'll see something similar to this:

Then as seen on the photo, the directions to navigate to the Tools menu...

And finally... the last page, where we upload the firmware:

Erm... it seems that the forums doesn't like the size of my photos. >.>

But the pictures should make it obvious where you need to go when uploading the firmware. :D

Edit: Looks like it shows the photo just fine... which is good. >_>

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

Here is my screen

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:53:45 PM by JimboCol »

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »

Ah, well, if I am unable to upgrade the firmware to where I can secure my network, this one is going to follow the Linksys router, except not because it's junk.  I will not have an open network in a densely populated area.  If I were out in the boondocks, I could live with it. 

Looks like it's back to eBay for me.  At least now I know what questions to ask before buying.  I'll most likely get another D-Link.  I've had D-Link products for Decades, and really do like them.  My very first LAN was D-Link.

Thanks,
Jim.

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

I hope I'm not bugging you, but you seem to know a great deal about routers, so I want to ask your opinion.

I found several routers within my price range. The only one that is not a DIR-615 is DIR-625 Range Booster Wireless N

At least I know enough to ask about the hardware version.

Jim.

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 03:48:21 AM »

You're not bugging me. :)

If you can, why not exchange it for a different DIR-615?

The Rev. C versions apparently are the best versions. (B2's alright, if you got that, then use firmware v2.24 to avoid the issues I'd seen in v2.25.)

I'd say go for the DIR-628. I see there's lots of firmware revisions. No hardware revisions, strangely enough, but hey, I'd go for the DIR-628 for its dual-band functionality. (I believe I had that too... unfortunately, it had similar issues to this one too, but that was before I had my "AHA!" moment and took it back. I regret my decision to do that now.)

Have you tried replacing the firmware with v1.00? Or tried replacing it with v2.24?

I'm looking into several other things that may resolve my issues here, but I'd have to purchase another Rev. B2 DIR-615 router to test with. :/

Or maybe I'll just pick up the DIR-628, as it's dual-band.

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »

You're not bugging me. :)

If you can, why not exchange it for a different DIR-615?
I saw 6 of them at really good prices, (in working condition of course), put them on my watch list, and asked what the hardware version is.  I have not heard anything yet.  I can always resell this one because it's in good condition and works perfectly, well, almost perfectly ;D .  I have 100&% Positive feedback on eBay and mean to keep it that way, hence LinkSys went into the dust bin, brand new or not.

The Rev. C versions apparently are the best versions. (B2's alright, if you got that, then use firmware v2.24 to avoid the issues I'd seen in v2.25.)
Excellent information.  I greatly appreciate it, and will let you know the final outcome.

I'd say go for the DIR-628. I see there's lots of firmware revisions. No hardware revisions, strangely enough, but hey, I'd go for the DIR-628 for its dual-band functionality. (I believe I had that too... unfortunately, it had similar issues to this one too, but that was before I had my "AHA!" moment and took it back. I regret my decision to do that now.)
Actually it's a DIR-625 Range-booster.  Is that just as good?

Have you tried replacing the firmware with v1.00? Or tried replacing it with v2.24?
You mean downgrade it?  Would 1.0 be more stable than 1.10?  I'm afraid to try 2.24.  Will it destroy the unit? Will reset bring it back to original?

Keiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »

Yes, I do mean downgrade it.

The one I had for my router was v2.25. I downgraded it to v2.24 for my model.

From what I can see, (I haven't used it so I can't really answer it.), it seems to be better than the DIR-615.

I honestly don't know if 1.0 would be better than 1.10, but... considering that v2.24 for my specific version of the DIR-615 is better than the v2.25... it seems to be.

If you can use v2.24, then that's great! However, if it doesn't like v2.24, it will tell you that right away when you try uploading it.

Flashing a firmware to the router shouldn't destroy the router, and resetting it doesn't necessarily always fix the issue, as you've yourself seen each time you tried enabling WPA2.
Pages: [1] 2