• March 28, 2024, 12:11:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: repeating crashes  (Read 3720 times)

bulcsu.kovacs

• Level 1 Member
repeating crashes
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »

I have 4 1.5TB WD Green in my old faithful :). It's in RAID5, fw still 1.03. Sometimes when I copy files to the NAS, it stops copying, I hear the fans are set to high then can't access it at all. No disk access, no gui. Power button tries to shut it down but can't or I'm not patient enough to wait (hours?). If I unplug power and connect again, boots, then I can access it again, but its slow, it always synchs for ~24 hours, but it doesn't say anything else, no degraded raid, unaccesible disk, nothing. After the synch is complete, its OK. SMART extended test says pass. I can't find any pattern why and when does it happen and when will it happen again.  Any ideas?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: repeating crashes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »

Before we start, I have to ask the question, do you have a backup of your data? (DNS-343 - Data Backup vs. Redundancy)

As far as firmware upgrades are concerned, I'm of the school of "if it's not broken, don't fix it", but in this case, something seems to be broken. Here are some things you can try, each more invasive than the next:

• (1) Log into the Web UI and save your "Configuration Settings" file; (2) Reset the DNS-343 to the factory default settings by pressing and holding the reset button on the rear of the unit for > 8 seconds while the DNS-343 is powered up (ShareCenter - Restoring Factory Default Settings); and (3) upload the Configuration Settings file. In fact you might want to first hold off from uploading your settings for a day or two to see how the DNS-343 behaves
  • Perform the above procedure again, but manually input all of your user settings rather than upload from the Configuration Settings file (You can open the configuration settings file in notepad to extract the values. . . the data is there, albeit not pretty) -- I've personally observed uploading a corrupt Configuration Settings file to cause issues on my D-Link router
  • If the above steps don't work, you can try reapplying firmware v1.03
  • You can try uploading the firmware to a more recent version. Reset the DNS-343 to the factory defaults again and upload the firmware to the latest version (and upload the user settings via one of the methods described above). Here are the published firmware changes: DNS-343 - Cumulative Firmware Release Notes
  • If all else fails, you can recreate your array from scratch and port the data back. I realize this is NOT something you are looking forward to doing

The fact that the web UI is locked up and the fans are spinning is throwing me for a loop.  :-\

Most importantly, please make sure you have a full backup of your data before applying any changes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:33:56 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:36:21 AM »

Any update on this issue?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

gronay

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »

Hi,

!!! First make a full backup !!!!! (I did it without backup :) but i was afraid ) If you'r using Raid5 you can not copy data from single disk :( with a Linux:( . (Ext3 too difficult to undelete for me)
1. Factory reset with button
2. Use the latest firmware (I use 1.06Beta works perfect!)
3. Setupt unit again.  (users and shares)

4. If the unit can not recognize disk (or raid) set it again. (anyd copy back from backup)

5. If works perfect save the settings and enjoy.

""Most importantly, please make sure you have a full backup of your data before applying any changes.""
YES! DO IT!!

Magyarul: Tedd fel a legújabb firmwaret, és ha szerencséd van megoldja a problémádat! nekem segített de azóta buktam az hogy egyszerre lehet free és jelszavazott megosztás...

LovRob

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:04 AM »

Hi

Any new informations?

Sziasztok!

Bocs, hogy magyarul, de az angollal gondjaim vannak...
Van valami új történés ez ügyben? Egyelőre a backupnál tartok. Esetleg Bulcsú, ha leírnád mire jutottál...

Köszönöm!