• April 26, 2024, 01:17:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 vA1 Won't (apparently) Broadcast or go into "Wireless" Mode  (Read 9496 times)

kwright

I'm new to the wireless networking world, but not new to computers in general.

I just bought a gently used 615 wireless router (version A1), I'm told is about six months or so old.  The previous owner claims this unit was working fine when he swapped it out due to a change is his broadband service that wasn't compatible with his home network.  I have no reason to disbelieve him.

My setup:  Dell desktop running Windows XP w/SP2.  My broadband is provided via wireless antenna to the house, routed though a service-provider box, which connected to the PC via an Ethernet cable & internal card.

Installing the 615 went fine, I connected the 615 between the incoming Ethernet cable and the PC (plugged in outlet #1), and the 615-supplied CD-based process worked as expected.  I rebooted everything and my internet connection came back on though the router, as I would expect with no problems so far of any kind with basic internet connectivity.  The lights on the front of the router, per the CD-based operators manual operate as I would also expect, EXCEPT possibly the wireless indicator.  As this is a new experience for me, I'm not exactly sure how the wireless light is intended to work.

I've used the CD wireless setup wizzard to configure the wireless, accepting the default settings.  When I "save" the setting, the wireless light on the front of the router flashes a few times during the 20 second save process, then goes off.  I've triple checked to ensure that all the settings to broadcast the network publicly and such are all on.  These seem to be the default settings anyway, but I've checked them all carefully several times.

The wireless light on the front then goes off and stays off, even though, as far as I can tell, the configuration settings are properly set to activate and broadcast the wireless network.

Note I've also upgraded the firmware in the router to v1.10 (I believe that's the latest, anyway).  I've also done a reset to factory defaults by holding in the button on the back of the unit, to ensure there were no old setting that were getting in the way.

I've used my work laptop (a new, two week old Dell w/built-in wireless) to check for the network and it doesn't see the router/network.  Note I use the laptop all the time both in wireless mode at work and in public places and it has no problem finding wireless networks.  I've also tired, just for fun "Netstumble" and this doesn't see my wireless either.

I've concluded that my DIR-615 isn't broadcasting for some reason... though I haven't been able to figure out why.  Careful review of the wireless setting suggest things are configured correctly so I'm at a loss.

Any help, suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks...

mykroft

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 vA1 Won't (apparently) Broadcast or go into "Wireless" Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »

Question....

Under   SETUP > WIRELESS SETTINGS

Do you have enable wireless checked?   I think it is unchecked by default so you dont have a open wireless network until your ready to set it up.....

Reason why I ask is I think the CD setup only takes you thru the wired setup and not the wireless - hence again as mention above do not open up a unsecured wireless network on your broadband connection.

The wireless led will blink with ANY wireless traffic when enabled.

Hope this helps
Myk

kwright

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »

Thanks for the response... and the to answer your question - yes, "enable wireless" is checked.

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »

Can the laptop see ANY wireless networks? A local radio host of a technology show doing a remote broadcast forma computer show needed my help with a similar situation on a new laptop. It turns out he had a hard switch on the laptop to turn the radio on and off and it had inadvertanly turned to off. He stopped asking me for help after that.
Meanest person you know

kwright

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »

The laptop sees other wireless networks without a problem, both at work and in public places, such as coffee shops, etc. I took the laptop to my brothers and it found his network immediately also.  I really don't think it's an issue with the laptop as it's used in wireless mode everyday without an issue.

mykroft

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »

Ok, but do you have another wireless router you can just plug into a electric outlet and let it broadcast its network SID in the same area as this router is having problems?

What i am getting at - can your laptop see the other router and not see the dlink router or is there something in the area of the dlink router causing a blockage of the signal?

Myk

kwright

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:04:11 AM »

Yes, I've done that too.  I've tried a competitive (though older) wireless router in the exact same environment; physical setting, other equipment, connections etc, (and I'm using it right now) which has worked fine right from the moment it was plugged in.  Therefore, I can draw the conclusion that the physical configuration and connections are working correctly.

I even tried connecting the DLink router back into the system, removing the other router and rebooting everything and it still won't work.  I switched back to the older router and everything is fine.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »

How about loaning the router to a friend, see if their able to use it wirelessly?
It could just be damaged. It's not unheard of.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:19:41 PM »

I just bought a gently used 615 wireless router (version A1), I'm told is about six months or so old.  The previous owner claims this unit was working fine when he swapped it out due to a change is his broadband service that wasn't compatible with his home network.  I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Kinda tells you right there.........Check the logs of the router, look for information during the boot sequence that relfects the wifi init. maybe a string that states "wireless init fail" or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 04:21:47 PM by Lycan »