• April 26, 2024, 02:27:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 615 Rev A Firmware Question  (Read 10197 times)

chappy

615 Rev A Firmware Question
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »

Just a quickie....

Thought I read in the Router logs at one point the DIR 615 (Rev A) was running Busy Box.  Is this right????   And I ASSUME there is no way to telnet in even with port 20 wide open???

I am sure a few of you know where I am going with this..... ;D ;D ;D

Any thoughts?

Also why cant I find detailed specs anywhere?? ie. chipset etc....

And lastly did anyone else have allot of trouble getting this router to work as a WDS.  I was finally able to get it to work with 2 Buff. WHR-HP-G54 routers running DD WRT running sp3.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:44:18 PM by chappy »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: 615 Rev A Firmware Question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »

I will cover your points in order:

I wouldn't know what software is running in the firmware, even if I did I would not be able to disseminate that information.  If it is running GPL code that code should be available on http://support.dlink.com/gpl.  Busybox is GPL, thus I infer that this router does not run Busybox.

I know where you are going with this and I suspect it's a dead end, but I always invite people to have fun trying.  Someone who actually works closely with that product would know a lot more about the fruitfulness of such a path.

You aren't finding detailed specs (chipset, etc...) because D-Link does not usually disseminate such information.  I could not provide it to you even if I knew (which again I don't, I work with enterprise equipment hence the avatar)

This device does not support WDS and should not work with lazy WDS (what you got working if you were able to WDS to it), I would find the fact that it worked at all for you lucky.
non progredi est regredi

chappy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »

Sorry for the late reply.  That is however due to a recent problem with my router. 

I believe my router is bricked and for no apparent reason.  Basically what happened is this:

I could not log in via wired connection at all but could with wireless.  This was about a day after restoring router to factory defaults due to constant los of internet connection.  Then in the middle of transferring a ~10Gig file via wired connection to NDAS (Netdisk) Drive it died.  The router has 0 functionality now and nothing seems to bring it back.  The wireless light won't come on only power light works.  I have tried everything and no response at all.

Any thoughts???  and/or can I tftp Factory firmware back in???  (Fingers Crossed)

So far this has been a REAL buggy router.  Yes I updated the firmware w/ correct version.  I really have always liked Dlink and would like to get this thing stable but what a disappointment so far!

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »

That does sound thrashed, I would call in for an possible RMA.

Thats a red light on tftp'ing firmware in.
non progredi est regredi

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »

If you can't crash recover it, it is bricked. Make sure you tell TS the device is not accessable, cache pages dumped, device hard reset, Computer with Static IP in default range of Router, Lan link light on.
Meanest person you know

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:00:15 AM »

Will the REV A get the same treatment as the REV B such as:

- Passes 802.11n Draft 2.0 WiFi certification.
- Passes WiFi Protected Setup certificaton

?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »

Yes and Yes.

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »

YES!  :D When can we expect it? Whats the differenace between REV A and B? Details please.....  :P

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:49:48 AM »

I want to get a DWA-130 USB adapter however I returned it since it’s completely messed up. I saw the DWA-140 however its a RANGE Booster series and I dont have that plus its expensive. So this DWA-130 No Wi-Fi Certification, No 802.11n draft 2.0 spec, BETA drivers for Windows Vista, Propriety connection software (not Windows), costs as much as the DIR-615 router. I have no hope for this poorly supported low-end DWA-130 wireless usb adapter so the DIR-615 doesn’t really have a good entry level partner to go along with it.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »

Update, i retract my previous statement about the Rev_A. It is not 2.0 compliant. I apologize for the mis-informaiton. I double checked after making this post and it turns out i was wrong.

mykroft

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »

So what your saying is - those of us who adopted this router "early" are getting penalized for doing so?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:06:21 PM »

You're not being penalized. The router is as you bought it. I have made a request to PM for consideration on that units behalf.