• April 23, 2024, 06:54:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: problem to register from public Wi-fi hotspots  (Read 18169 times)

shur

• Level 1 Member
problem to register from public Wi-fi hotspots
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:59 AM »

I recently purchased a DPH-541 and it works fine from the network at work and from home (on a completely different network). In both cases I am connecting to an Asterisk SIP Server at work.  On public wi-fi networks, I can get an IP address, but can't connect to the SIP server.  I have tried with and without a STUN server and the result is the same. With the STUN server I get "STUN  - NAT DETECTED" displayed but the registration does not go through. Can you suggest a way of finding out what is going on here, and hopefully to resolve the problem? Thanks.

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
Re: problem to register from public Wi-fi hotspots
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »

if your SIP service needs login from HTML interface, or that type of similar login method, it's possible the phone needs a separate password and name input.

D-Link said it can't login to such a requirement, but I saw an option on the wireless network settings page called PPPOE

it looks like this... *graphics not included :D *,  when the "PPPOE" is selected, a separate Name/Password are allowed the be entered.
I've never tried it yet, but plan to with my wifi hot-spots supplied by my own ISP,
but, be careful ... if it's an OPEN system, anyone can see your password and account#
when you log into it, along with any data, and can "tap" into your conversation.

IP Setting: DHCP  Fixed IP  .> PPPOE  

User Name
 Password: 

I have no idea if this was meant for this purpose, but it's worth a try at least. :P
Always Trying To Improve

shur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:00:01 AM »

I downloaded the latest Dlink firmware from the website and now there is a menu on the phone for hotspots under Profiles, where you can enter userid and password. I haven't yet tested how well this works. They haven't updated the user manual yet either, but at least there is hope on the horizon.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »

That is not what PPPoE is for, and I would strongly recommend against trying that.
non progredi est regredi

shur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »

The hotspot menu on the phone that is offered in the new firmware is not (I presume) for PPP over Ethernet.  But it will help when the honchos at D-Link update the manual to reflect these changes, and also update the web interface so that this branch of the menu is visible there too.

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:33:59 AM »

That is not what PPPoE is for, and I would strongly recommend against trying that.

Thanks for the info, what would it do if it were used?
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »

If you used PPPoE when you didn't need to?

Just broadcast your user name and password in clear text to everyone and prevent you from establishing normal connectivity.
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »

If you used PPPoE when you didn't need to?

Just broadcast your user name and password in clear text to everyone and prevent you from establishing normal connectivity.

:D ... I get the idea! ... but, with the exception of ... prevent you from establishing normal connectivity, ...
isn't - (Just broadcast your user name and password in clear text to everyone ),
what's basically happening, even not using PPPoE, ... when signing onto an OPEN router?

... assuming the "HOT SPOT" didn't require HTML login guidelines and login was possible, ...
or if passing by another OPEN connection, with the same SSID, your phone connects to it.

The samething happend to me recently, before I re-named my router.

It had the default name, and so did many others in the area, so just passing by those, with my phone, would create a connection to them, ... before I started to use encryption on the phone and router.

Most Hot Spots I've located around my area use the HTML based Login, and not useful so far, but
can the phone connect using VPN Tunneling, to create a path to my router from these hot spots?

If so, it would allow connecting to your own encrypted router, remotely, from any open hot spot, without fear of displaying your name/password login info.
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »

Well if you are using PPPoE, not only would you broadcast the PPPoE credentials, but you wouldn't pull DHCP via Ethernet (and a static IP applied would be for the PPP connection), without IP information you won't be getting on-line either.
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »

Well if you are using PPPoE, not only would you broadcast the PPPoE credentials, but you wouldn't pull DHCP via Ethernet (and a static IP applied would be for the PPP connection), without IP information you won't be getting on-line either.

understood, ... but if it's so "bad" why include it with the settings?

would there be any time it could be used at all, over any of the other options?
Always Trying To Improve