• April 25, 2024, 02:01:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting DIR-655 to play well with FIOS  (Read 18581 times)

smapdi

• Level 2 Member
Getting DIR-655 to play well with FIOS
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »

Hey guys,

I bought a DIR-655 to replace my aging Buffalo WHR-G54S. I thought all was going well until I tried to do a bandwidth test via speakeasy.net and Verizon's own speedtest. Both show my connection as 10/5 while with the Buffalo, it was showing ~20/5 (the correct speed for my FIOS tier).

I read that it had something to do with autoneg on the WAN port not working well. I tried to manually set it to 100Mbps but that setting caused it to continuously drop the link. When set to 10Mbps or 1000Mbps the link works but I am capped at 10/5. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue? I am running an A3 with firmware 1.11 (thinking of trying 1.11MSBetaB39)

DavePDX

• Level 1 Member
Re: Getting DIR-655 to play well with FIOS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »

I'm running an A2 version of the DIR-655 which is behind the Actiontec router that is configured as a bridge (the Actiontec that is). The WAN Port Speed is set to Auto 10/100/1000Mbps. I am paying for 15/2. The transfer rates generally run between 15/1.5 to 20/1.9 using the speed tests on BroadbandReports.com. Depending on the server location and traffic I have gotten as low as 5/0.5 and as high as 27/1.9.

Have you tried different ethernet cables?

If you want other DIR-655 settings that I use then let me know and I'll post them for you.

smapdi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:38:24 PM »

When I first bought the 655 I had it connected to the FIOS line via bridged Actiontec. My original troubleshooting steps were to remove the bridge and connect via ethernet.

I ran a new ethernet cable and connected the 655 directly with the exact same results.

If you have any settings that could effect the WAN performance I would be happy to try them out.

Thanks!

DavePDX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »

I am not a network guy so selections what I am listing are a "shot in the dark." I am using the 1.11 firmware.

Enable Multicast Streams - checked (I have two TiVO's on my network)

Advanced Networking:
Enable SPI - checked
Enable anti-spoof checking - checked

QOS Engine:
Enable QoS Engine: checked

Setup - Internet:
Use Unicasting - checked (I don't remember why I checked this, probably when I was trying to get my TiVO's to see each other on the network). I think the default is not checked.

I don't know if these items will help or not. I was going from memory (not reliable at my age for certain) to indicate what items I changed from their default values as I have had the DIR-655 for almost a year.

Please let me know if there are any other settings you may want.

smapdi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:54:57 PM »

Hmm....I have the same settings set (and I guess you meant Multicasting instead of unicasting  :P ) yet I still have the issue..

Any other thoughts what I should be setting/not setting?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »

What hardware rev is your 655?

DavePDX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »

smapdi: No, it is unicasting (Setup->Internet under "Dynamic IP (DHCP) Internet Connection Type").

Lycan: He said he had A3 and I have A2 (unless I'm missing something and answered the wrong question).

smapdi: I initially thought that MAC filtering could possibly have some effect but after some testing with MAC filtering turned on with my PC's on home network (includes two DAP-1522 access points/bridges set up as bridges) I saw no degradation with internet speed tests. I'm out of ideas at this point.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:30:39 AM by DavePDX »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »

It would appear to be a negotation issue. I'll se what can be done at the PM level.

smapdi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

DavePDX: I didn't notice the Unicasting setting under the Settings -> Internet ->DHCP (mine was always checked on)

Just as an update, I installed the Beta firmware and still no joy  :'(

Lycan: I also think it's something to do with negotiation. I was thinking of upgrading my FIOS service to 20/20 symmetric but unless I can get this issue resolved that plan goes out the window...

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:07:55 AM »

It's odd. We've seen this randomly. I've seen this work and I've also seen this exact thing with the same product and the same network.
I'll see what I can dig up.

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:48:32 AM »

Hey guys,

I bought a DIR-655 to replace my aging Buffalo WHR-G54S. I thought all was going well until I tried to do a bandwidth test via speakeasy.net and Verizon's own speedtest. Both show my connection as 10/5 while with the Buffalo, it was showing ~20/5 (the correct speed for my FIOS tier).

I read that it had something to do with autoneg on the WAN port not working well. I tried to manually set it to 100Mbps but that setting caused it to continuously drop the link. When set to 10Mbps or 1000Mbps the link works but I am capped at 10/5. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue? I am running an A3 with firmware 1.11 (thinking of trying 1.11MSBetaB39)

Hi,

I was wondering if you were able to resolve this problem. Please let us know.

Thanks!

smapdi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »

Unfortunately I still have the issue. None of the settings that I have changed seemed to do anything in terms of WAN speed. I can only hope that someone within DLink can help out and/or a new firmware version comes out that addresses this (I can't be the ONLY person trying to get this thing working on FIOS).

The really frustrating thing is that my 2+ year old Buffalo router can do 20/5 with no problems whatsoever while this brand spankin' new "XTreme N" router cannot  :'(

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »

What state are you getting your fios in? Also, are you familiar with packet captures?

smapdi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »

I live in New Jersey.

About packet captures.....I have spent more time than I care to mention analyzing tcpdump captures in ethereal/wireshark at work.

Hmmm....maybe I can put a probe on my WAN to capture what the packets being exchanged between the router and FIOS ONT are...

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »

Thats what I'd like to see, the negotation between the unit and the ONT tansversal box.
Also are you getting a true public to the routers WAN?
Pages: [1] 2