• April 25, 2024, 05:47:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless is pathetic  (Read 3347 times)

mtf612

Wireless is pathetic
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:20:20 PM »

Hey ive got my dgl-4500 on 1.12 and have it setup for 802.11n on 5ghz. Only. No 2.4 and no "a", so youd expect good reception. I even made it strictly 40mhz . Well i am personally surprised that the reception on my dir 665 , which is a mere 30 feet away and through one wall, has never been more than 3 of 5 bars. I cant stand this. My other adapters have similar connection problems. Can dlink please allow us to turn off the screen and reroute the power to the antennas ? Seriously if the antennas put out more power id love this router but the wireless is way to flawed.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: Wireless is pathetic
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:41:02 AM »

Just for your information, boosting the antenna power beyond what it's possibly capable of can be a bad idea.  And I'll tell you why.

First off, the wireless portion if boosted can cause re-transmits of data, and even cause more errors over wireless.  It's not necessarily better in that case.  Boosting it higher out of spec can cause hardware degradation and so forth.

Second, 9 times out of 10, adjusting antennas properly can increase signal greatly.

Third, just because you put it on 5 GHz, doesn't mean that your signal is going to be fantastic.  It can degrade with 5 GHz devices nearby.  Setting it for only 40 Hz width isn't going to do much for you either.  Think about wireless networks overlapping as well, and how other networks around you might interfere. Even phones too.

Fourth, the OLED screen is off or in standby mode when not in use.  Uses VERY little power in general.  They are bright, and use much less power to display stuff.

The 2.4 GHz band is plenty.  No need to go into the 5 GHz range, unless you got phones that low down that will overlap and cause problems.  And 30 feet through one walls can be a lot.  Do you know whats in that wall too?  You can't expect full reception.  Hope it helps.