• April 24, 2024, 07:28:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can see files but have no permissions to modify, etc  (Read 5101 times)

dcbart

• Level 1 Member
Can see files but have no permissions to modify, etc
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »

I recently installed two new hard drives in my DNS-325 (they are on the compatible list and are 1.5 TB each). I had a RAID 1 configuration on the old drives and I set up the new drives in a RAID 0 configuration since I have multiple backups to the drive. I copied one of the backups to the Share Center after the drives completed formatting. I can see all the files, but I am not able to open, copy, download, replace, or modify files on the share center. Before I changed the drives, the default was that all users had full access and control. I assumed this would still be the case. Since it is in my home and only I primarily access it, I saw no need to lock down permissions. However, now I am not able to change access, control, or permissions. I have an extensive background in IT, but networking and server admin are not my strong suits. I run Windows 10. I have a DNS-325, firmware version 1.05. Other than the hardware change, there have been no known changes to any settings. In Windows Security for the volume, it lists Everyone, Unix User\Root, and Unix Group\Root as having Special Permissions. When I try to change any security settings in Windows, I am denied that action. If more information is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

dcbart

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can see files but have no permissions to modify, etc
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »

I did a reset to factory defaults and all is well. Thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Can see files but have no permissions to modify, etc (RESOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:06:45 AM »

Glad you got it working. Come back and visit when needed. Enjoy. ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

michele.smiderle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »

Hi. Some time passed since last post.
However I have the same problem: I substituted one of the two HDDs due to disk failure. No RAID configuration.
Now on the new drive I cannot modify (delete, rename, move...) anything. I get a message telling me that "To modify, you need authorization from Unix User/root": http://prntscr.com/grbcru
And as above, if I try to set Security Permissions, I can't.

I still can modify anything in the old drive. The problem is only with the new one.
I tried a factory reset, as well, but that didn't work.

Thank in advance for your help.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »

How were the drives setup before the one failed, JBOD, STANDARD?

When you replaced the drive did you format it the same way as the old drive?

michele.smiderle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »

Thank for your reply, and sorry for my late one: I had lost hope :)
They were both setup as STANDARD, and yes, when I formatted the new one, I set it up as STANDARD, as well.
An update: while I cannot modify folders or files from Windows, I can still modify them using ShareCenter. However, if I move an unmodifiable folder from the new drive to the other drive (the one I didn't substituted), then again the folder cannot be modify from Windows.