• April 26, 2024, 07:38:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: how to improve signal ?  (Read 7167 times)

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
how to improve signal ?
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:55:26 AM »

dir-855 is great, i get like 60-66mb/sec when i am close to it, how can i improve the signal to get more coverage ?

arod

Re: how to improve signal ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »

How are your wireless settings configured?

Please reference the following FAQ to achieve 300Mbps

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »

i am not making my self clear, at full performance i get like 6000-7000kbytes/sec transfer, which is very good (the link is 300mbs). i asked how can i boost my router signal quality, let say if there are 3 walls between the router and my laptop. do i need to get a antena ? or can i give the router more power ?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »

More dBi (amplification by using beefed up antenna's) is not a cure for penetrating more walls. When amplifying the signal you also amplify the noise... The N capability already improves the reach of the signal, so it will not give you a better quality.

Try to look for a good, centrally located place to put your router. When you are US based you can try the ANT24-0230 antenna which allows you to put the antenna in a better place (max 1.5 m away from the router).
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »

is there a repetear or something like that , that i can use to boost the signal from the router, something that is pasive and just broadcast the signal along ?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »

Yes, you can use an AP or repeater to do that. But I will have some side effect; it will increase latency ('ping').
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »

the test i've made were with a usb draft n, interesting stuff. if i put the usb in the laptop i get like 20-25% signal after 3 walls and if i put the usb in the pc, i get like 30-35% exactly the same position. do the pc give more power, or why is the difference ?

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

More dBi (amplification by using beefed up antenna's) is not a cure for penetrating more walls. When amplifying the signal you also amplify the noise... The N capability already improves the reach of the signal, so it will not give you a better quality.

Try to look for a good, centrally located place to put your router. When you are US based you can try the ANT24-0230 antenna which allows you to put the antenna in a better place (max 1.5 m away from the router).

Be careful. That antenna is only rated for 2.4 GHz operation. I'm not sure if the radio in the router is anything like a CB radio, but in a CB radio, without a proper antenna to take the feed, you will destroy it.