• April 18, 2024, 12:30:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP set up behind Telus moden and AE router  (Read 5500 times)

melbri

• Level 2 Member
FTP set up behind Telus moden and AE router
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »

Really confused with how to set this up.

I have Telus modem for my IPS with an airport extreme being used as a router/wifi.

For outside access to DNS323 FTP, I am assuming I need to set up port forwarding in the Telus modem.  Is this correct? or do I also need to do the same on my AE?

My Telus modem is asking for the following:
1. Set the LAN port and IP information.
  Starting Port:   
  Ending Port:   
  Protocol:    TCP or UND or GRE
  LAN IP Address:

Not sure about the ports, is it 21 for both?  Which IP do I use, my modem (dont think so), my AE or my DNS 323?

My DNS FTP is set to Port 21 and "Use the default port range (55536-55663)" is selected for Passive Mode.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: FTP set up behind Telus moden and AE router
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »

Port forwarding is a procedure specific to a NAT firewall/router, so technically - you can't "port forward" a modem - unless it's a modem/router.  Since the Telus has the provision for port forwarding, we have to assume it's a modem router.

Next multiple routers in a single network are a major source of grief when it comes to port forwarding - you need to get rid of one - since the Airport Express cannot function as a modem, the Telus will have to be the one to go - ask the ISP how to put it into "bridged mode", which is a mode that removes the router functionality.

Once you have the telus in bridged mode, you can then configure port forwarding on the airport express.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

melbri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »

Yes, the Telus modem is also a router, but I use the AE as a router/wifi.

I'll have to check, but I do recall struggles in getting the AE to work behind the Telus box.  I can't remember if the Telus box is bridged or not, I do remember an issue with this.  I'll check tonight.

uccball20

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »

I was looking to set up my DLink DNS 323 as a router as well (Telus as an ISP) however I gave up after a friend told me that Telus blocked FTPs from the server side (at least port 21):

http://telus.com/portalWeb/portlets/popUp/popUp.jsp?docPath=CP_SCS/General/Internet/High_Speed/General/Security_Measures_Policy/&lang=EN&region=BC&pre=

that said, if anyone succeeds, i'd definitely be interested in knowing how.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »

however I gave up after a friend told me that Telus blocked FTPs from the server side (at least port 21):

You could run the FTP Server on a different port. 

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »

Two points for your consideration...

1 - If the ISP has port 21 blocked, then the terms of use almost certainly forbid the use of an ftp server.
2 - Configuring an ftp server on a non-standard port will, more often than not, present challenges on the client side.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

melbri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »

Gonna try removing my AE and just use the Telus router/modem.  I don't need it and I did have some trouble setting up the two together.