• March 28, 2024, 02:38:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need DSM-14 Remote (i.e. new remote for DSM-520)  (Read 12871 times)

dinosaurusrex

• Level 1 Member
Need DSM-14 Remote (i.e. new remote for DSM-520)
« on: September 19, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »

Help!  My remote for my DSM-520 died and I need a new one.  It died about 2 weeks ago and I've been searching for one ever since.  I've had an alert on eBay for a remote for the two weeks and been looking on tons of web sites - nobody seems to have it except for one site that is selling it for $90!

Does anyone know where you can get these?  If not, it looks like it's cheaper to buy a used one on eBay and just take the remote from it.   :o

Thanks!

amunoz_tico

• Level 2 Member
Re: Need DSM-14 Remote (i.e. new remote for DSM-520)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 02:36:04 PM »

In case that you have a friend who has a DSM-520 as well, You could consider a remote control with learning mode.  One example is the iconRemote (IR10A), it is available from x10.com or from ebay.com @ $49 or less.

I have one of those and it works very well and i
I can control all my staff.

dinosaurusrex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:37:10 AM »

Wow - never in a million years would I think that replacement remote controls would be so hard to come by.

I guess that means one of two things:
1.  The remotes on these things break so often that D-Link can't make them fast enough
2.  D-Link doesn't care enough about this product line to support it

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »

The Harmony 550 will work with it.  Matter of fact it works better than the stock remote!  :)

It'll possibly also control your TV, DVD Player/Recorder, Set top box, etc. 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:37:37 PM »

Have you tried contacting D-Link for a replacement? Please try sales or Customer service.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

FoxXxz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »

2.  D-Link doesn't care enough about this product line to support it

Thumbs Up for this comment!

dinosaurusrex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »

OK - I just spoke with someone at Customer Service.  They had me on hold for a while and then gave me to someone at sales.  They had me on hold for a while and then said they couldn't help me because they only had the full systems, not just parts.  They then told me to call 800-326-1688, press option 3 and then press option 1.  I was then asked to leave a message for my RMA.  RMA!?  My system is out of warranty, and I don't want something repaired or to return any merchandise, I just want to buy a new remote.

So I hung up and tried calling back again to try different options.  Then I got a "We're sorry, we are now closed."

Anyway, I fixed my old remote tonight.  It's been about 10 years since I've soldered any electronics and I had to buy a soldering iron just to do it, but it's working now.  I was still going to buy another new one as a backup, but since it's such a hassle, never mind that.  I think I'll buy a learning remote off Amazon.com and train it to speak DSM-520 while my official (now repaired) remote is working.

Thanks, D-Link!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »

Did you leave a message with RMA? That is the department that handles return merchandise and would be able to assist you with another remote since the remote is not sold separately.

dinosaurusrex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »

I did not leave a message with RMA.  I thought RMA stood for Return Merchandise Authorization and I didn't want to return any merchandise.

As for the remote not being sold separately, can you tell me what part number DSM-14 is?  Am I misunderstanding when I think that it is a replacement remote for the DSM-520:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=463

In fact, quoting that site:

DSM-14 Remote Control for DSM-520

If you've lost your remote for the MediaLounge® Wireless HD Media Player, have no fear. The replacement is here.

So, I guess I should have no fear, except that the remote can't be purchased anywhere I can see.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »

Yes RMA does stand for Return Merchandise Authorization and Technical support or sales directed you to this department informing you this was the department to help you with this issue but I guess you did not speak with them or leave a message as you were told to so im not sure what else to suggest.

Yes the DSM-14 model number for the remote for the DSM-520.

fixer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »

I just bought one from the dlink support site today for $25.

spirited

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »

I contacted them and received a reply via email that they want $35 by check.

I'm wary.  What major company doesn't take a credit card?  And why was it only $25 for you?