• March 28, 2024, 09:13:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: FW 1.06 Wish List  (Read 50030 times)

mediamanrit

Re: FW 1.06 Wish List
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »

After a few more days with the device, I'd also like to see:

* NFS support
* The ability to input a free-form time for sleeping the disks...30 mins of idle just isn't enough for me...I'd like 1..maybe 2 hours...
* Again...special chars in the passwords
* An event/error log, with possibly options on what to turn on/off
* More verbose failure messages when testing SMTP messages (possibly see above)
* HTTPS access for getting to the files would be nice...being able to turn HTTPS on and off for certain folders

sowens01

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 05:26:04 PM »

I would like to see a webserver added as well as a network traffic monitor utility so we can get someone off the nas before it is shut down.

kelleyjb72

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 07:43:06 AM »

TFTP server
DNS server
Netbios server
SMTP SSL support

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »

SFTP Server

jswashburn

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

3. SMART Support for Hard drives.

I agree! SMART support and logging is a *must*. Also, temp logging would be nice too.

When a drive is about to fail, I'd like to be notified in e-mail prior to it happening.

5. eDonkey

eDonkey? Your joking right??? I'd just like to point out that this unit only has 8MB of flash memory on-board. I'd say built-in 3rd party applications are a low priority. I would prefer all the bugs and additional hard drive support be worked on first. I have a feeling that 8MB limit is going to be an issue for D-Link in the future.  ::)

Piotr

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 12:31:52 AM »

eDonkey? Your joking right??? I'd just like to point out that this unit only has 8MB of flash memory on-board. I'd say built-in 3rd party applications are a low priority. I would prefer all the bugs and additional hard drive support be worked on first. I have a feeling that 8MB limit is going to be an issue for D-Link in the future.  ::)

8MB of flash memory is not a problem. BitTorrent client is installed on HDD (Volume_1\Nas_Prog\BT). Other applications can be installed on hard drive as well (funplug package is the best example).

By the way. When 1.06 firmware will be released? Serious security holes in web interface are still not fixed. I'd like to add one more point to the wishlist: MORE FREQUENT FIRMWARE RELEASES.
DIR-655 H/W A2   FW 1.30EU    *    DSL-320B H/W D1  FW EU_1.21    *    DNS-323 H/W A1   FW 1.08b05    *    DWA-645 H/W A1

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »

By the way. When 1.06 firmware will be released? Serious security holes in web interface are still not fixed. I'd like to add one more point to the wishlist: MORE FREQUENT FIRMWARE RELEASES.

Piotr

Have you experienced these "security holes in web interface" personally?

If you have, I'd like to ask you to try a little test - choose one of the holes that you can exploit at will - and then power off both the NAS and your workstation, restart them, and without logging in to the web interface see if you can exploit the hole - can you?  Try another or perhaps a few more.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that I recently discovered that some of these "security holes" are dependent on your having previously authenticated to the the web interface, and that they may also exist for 10~15 minutes after you close that browser window - which is the reason why I asked you to do that restart, it isn't strictly necessary, but it does guarantee you have no authenticated session "hanging" there.

Let me know what happens.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Piotr

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »

Piotr

Have you experienced these "security holes in web interface" personally?

Yes. I did your test (I cleared browser cache and restarted my computer and dns-323). Holes are present. BitTorrent is my favourite example:

http://<dns323ip>/web/bt/fe01.html
http://<dns323ip>/web/bt/fe02.html
http://<dns323ip>/web/bt/btsettings.html

Everybody can download torrents using my NAS, everybody can change its BT settings.

Other interesting things which can be accessed:

http://<dns-323-ip>/etc/passwd

http://<dns-323-ip>/etc/shadow

http://<dns-323-ip>/server.pem

http://<dns-323-ip>/etc/ez-ipupdate.conf
DIR-655 H/W A2   FW 1.30EU    *    DSL-320B H/W D1  FW EU_1.21    *    DNS-323 H/W A1   FW 1.08b05    *    DWA-645 H/W A1

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »

one more for the list - a command line (telnet?) interface - that will allow those of us who know how and are willing to directly manipulate the device - this comes after discovering my RAID array to be non-functional with no error indications - and attempting to reformat the disks results in a 7MB RAID1 volume on a pair of 80GB disks.

maxpoz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 06:00:25 AM »

Change the printer name LP to "what you want"

e2000

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »

SSH console interface for some basic troubleshooting (read logs) and reboot/power cycle

one more for the list - a command line (telnet?) interface - that will allow those of us who know how and are willing to directly manipulate the device - this comes after discovering my RAID array to be non-functional with no error indications - and attempting to reformat the disks results in a 7MB RAID1 volume on a pair of 80GB disks.

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 06:10:40 AM »

Drivers for Windows 2008 64 bit servers...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 09:01:34 AM »

Drivers for Windows 2008 64 bit servers...

This is a NAS and you can connect to it from anything that supports CIFS/SMB which is essentially a Microsoft developed protocol - without drivers.

jswashburn

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »

This is a NAS and you can connect to it from anything that supports CIFS/SMB which is essentially a Microsoft developed protocol - without drivers.

Correct.

I think what iampedro is talking about however is the whole Vista network discovery feature. I'm not sure if its a "driver" so much as it is a way of profiling a device on the network. Last I heard, D-link had one available for Vista x86, but they pulled it because of some bug. I don't think a 64bit version was ever in the works. Unless of course this "driver" can in fact be used with both Vista x86 and 64bit (though I doubt it).

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 06:24:41 AM »

Don't take this as gospel - but - the way I heard it is that there were problems with those "drivers" and 64-bit Vista due to a problem with an ".ini" file and someone edited the file and got it functional - I could try to track it down if you're interested.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6