• March 29, 2024, 08:25:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Add-on "Ubooquity v1.9.1" for D-Link NAS  (Read 4421 times)

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
Add-on "Ubooquity v1.9.1" for D-Link NAS
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »

[Add-on] Ubooquity v1.9.1

[Description]
Ubooquity is a free, lightweight and easy-to-use home server for your comics and ebooks. Use it to access your files from anywhere, with a tablet, an e-reader, a phone or a computer.

[New & Fixes]
http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/

[Version]
Add-on Package v1.01
Attention! Addon paid http://dlink.vtverdohleb.org.ua/Add-On/terms_of_use.php#activated

[Maintainer]
vtverdohleb

[Download link]
DNS-320L Ubooquity Package v1.01_04022016_COM
DNS-325 Ubooquity Package v1.01_04022016_COM
DNS-327L Ubooquity Package v1.01_04022016_COM
DNS-340L Ubooquity Package v1.01_04022016_COM
DNS-345 Ubooquity Package v1.01_04022016_COM

Removed at the request of the author.

[Resource]
Website http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/
Documentation http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/doc/faq.html
Other Add-ons http://dlink.vtverdohleb.org.ua/Add-On/

[Remarks]
Download and install the Ubooquity Add-On.
Click the link for the Ubooquity web interface and configure it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:12:49 AM by vtverdohleb »
Add-on Application questions and issues, please include the following minimal information in your post:
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version
* Detailed Description of your Issue
Donate: http://dlink.vtverdohleb.org.ua/Add-On/donate.php

UbTom

• Level 1 Member
Re: Add-on "Ubooquity v1.9.1" for D-Link NAS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:22:48 AM »

I never gave you permission to make money using my work.
Ubooquity is free and should stay free even when included in a package.

I have nothing against you receiving donation for the work you do on packages, but people should be able to get Ubooquity for free if they want to.

Please make the addon free again (or remove it entirely).

Tom, author of Ubooquity

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 06:24:13 AM »

I never gave you permission to make money using my work.
Ubooquity is free and should stay free even when included in a package.
I have nothing against you receiving donation for the work you do on packages, but people should be able to get Ubooquity for free if they want to.
Please make the addon free again (or remove it entirely).

I never asked, and I will never claim the money for software, built-in add-ons, even if it is my own. I am asking symbolic amount of work on the package assembly.
But if you think that users will be better without Ubooquity, it means more Ubooquity addons for NAS DNS-3xx will not.
Add-on Application questions and issues, please include the following minimal information in your post:
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version

UbTom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »

Thank you for you quick response.

Of course I would prefer users to have access to a Ubooquity addon.
But redistributing my binary and asking money for it is going too far in my opinion.
Ubooquity is free and shouyld stay that way.

(once again, I have nothing against asking for donation, as long as it is not mandatory)

I regret your decision to completely remove the package, but I respect it as this is your work and your right.
Same as Ubooquity's binary is mine.

Regards,
Tom

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »

Thank you for you quick response.

Of course I would prefer users to have access to a Ubooquity addon.
But redistributing my binary and asking money for it is going too far in my opinion.
Ubooquity is free and shouyld stay that way.

(once again, I have nothing against asking for donation, as long as it is not mandatory)

I regret your decision to completely remove the package, but I respect it as this is your work and your right.
Same as Ubooquity's binary is mine.

Regards,
Tom
@Tom

I understand totally you comments and reasons for wanting your product to remain free.  I also do not want to get involved in an argument.

But, and this is from someone who doesn't fully understand computer programming etc, I do believe and maybe you can confirm that some addons/"tools" (like Ubooquity) have to tweaked or have additional software to enable them to be functional on DLink products.

I also understand that there is a language "understanding" issue and as such I wish to add that vtverdohleb was up until the beginning of 2016 supported by DLink but this support was withdrawn.  My understanding is that vtverdohleb now creates/tweaks these addons/"tools" so that they are functional on DLink NAS devices and if it wasn't for his efforts and time (now his own time) many DLink NAS devices would potentially become redundant.

On his website and I totally accept and understand - he allows any person who has registered with the site to download for free 2 files in 3 hours

What he asks for is donations not a charge - if I'm correct any registered person can download 2 files one day, 2 the next day and so on.  vtverdohleb is not asking for money for each item.  Just a donation as gratitued for his personal time spent.

Tom - as I said at the beginning I'm not here to argue I'm just here to explain in as much detail as I know and understand.  vtverdohleb is a good man doing his best to keep us DLink owners happy (much more than DLink themselves). I hope you will look again at the Terms of Service page and the information I have given and accept that the conversation was a misunderstanding

But if you still want to "stick by your guns"  I'm OK with that - I don't use or need Ubooquity I'm just here for the sake of other potential users

Have a good day.

UbTom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:28:49 AM »

What he asks for is donations not a charge - if I'm correct any registered person can download 2 files one day, 2 the next day and so on.  vtverdohleb is not asking for money for each item.  Just a donation as gratitued for his personal time spent.

Tom - as I said at the beginning I'm not here to argue I'm just here to explain in as much detail as I know and understand.  vtverdohleb is a good man doing his best to keep us DLink owners happy (much more than DLink themselves). I hope you will look again at the Terms of Service page and the information I have given and accept that the conversation was a misunderstanding

Like I said before, I have nothing against asking for donations as long as the addon can be obtained freely even if the user does not want to donate anything.

What I understood is not what you describe. I might be wrong and I'm always in favor of discussion and explanations (although in this case it's probably only for the sake of understanding, as the author of the addon has been pretty clear on the fact that he does not want to work on it anymore, no matter what).

What I understood is that there are two types of addon provided by vtverdohleb: free ones and commercial ones.
What you described is the way free ones can be obtained. If you look at the terms of service page, you'll see that "Commercial addons" can only be used with a serial number that you have to pay for.

Ubooquity was provided as a free addon until the last version, when it became a paid addon.

Let me know if I got something wrong.

Of course I'm in favor of making Ubooquity easily available to as many people as possible. But forcing people to pay for something I provide free of charge is something I can not accept. (once again, to be extra clear, optional donations are OK).

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:16:40 AM »

Like I said before, I have nothing against asking for donations as long as the addon can be obtained freely even if the user does not want to donate anything.

What I understood is not what you describe. I might be wrong and I'm always in favor of discussion and explanations (although in this case it's probably only for the sake of understanding, as the author of the addon has been pretty clear on the fact that he does not want to work on it anymore, no matter what).

What I understood is that there are two types of addon provided by vtverdohleb: free ones and commercial ones.
What you described is the way free ones can be obtained. If you look at the terms of service page, you'll see that "Commercial addons" can only be used with a serial number that you have to pay for.

Ubooquity was provided as a free addon until the last version, when it became a paid addon.

Let me know if I got something wrong.

Of course I'm in favor of making Ubooquity easily available to as many people as possible. But forcing people to pay for something I provide free of charge is something I can not accept. (once again, to be extra clear, optional donations are OK).

Thank you Tom for giving me the chance to explain, to discuss and for your quick response.

Can I just refer back to my assumptions
But, and this is from someone who doesn't fully understand computer programming etc, I do believe and maybe you can confirm that some addons/"tools" (like Ubooquity) have to tweaked or have additional software to enable them to be functional on DLink products.

And a section in your reply

Again I'm no computer expert and I'm second guessing - maybe you can answer better.  Was Ubooquity modified to work on DLink NAS devices?

Hope you understand

UbTom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »

Again I'm no computer expert and I'm second guessing - maybe you can answer better.  Was Ubooquity modified to work on DLink NAS devices?

I have not created D-Link addons myself, so I'm no expert on the matter, but what I'm sure of is that Ubooquity has not been modified, only packaged into the addon (included "as is" if you will, with additional content from the addon author).

Ubooquity can be installed on any device running Java, including D-Link devices (without addon).
Depending on the way the device works, installation can be tedious for non tech-savvy users.
That's where an addon helps: it includes scripts that automate the installation process, allowing the users to install it with a few clicks.

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »

I already wrote that Ubooquity is adapted only under full-fledged Linux and without additional scripts will not work on NAS. Ubooquity is a good product, but far from perfect and not first for the OPDS system.
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »

I have not created D-Link addons myself, so I'm no expert on the matter, but what I'm sure of is that Ubooquity has not been modified, only packaged into the addon (included "as is" if you will, with additional content from the addon author).

Ubooquity can be installed on any device running Java, including D-Link devices (without addon).
Depending on the way the device works, installation can be tedious for non tech-savvy users.
That's where an addon helps: it includes scripts that automate the installation process, allowing the users to install it with a few clicks.

Tom

Thank you again for taking the time to respond

I also understand from what both you and vtverdohleb have stated (including the other thread http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64707.15;topicseen that additional scripting is required to enable Ubooquity to install and function correctly on the DLink NAS

Again I refer to my first comment in that I understand and accept Ubooquity is free and should remain so.

I know it's in your best interest and morals that this is the reason for your comments within this forum.

I don't know vtverdohleb personally but I believe (in my heart) that vtverdohleb is not profiteering from the resources he makes available.  I would assume (and yes it's an assumption because of language barrier) that the "donations" received by vtverdohleb in no way covers for the time and effort. 

It was with regret that he had to put some sort of restrictions on adapting/updating addons and it wasn't his fault - it was all down to DLink.  Now I know this has nothing much to do with you.  You created a piece of software and you've allowed it to be used freely and without payment. 

I don't know what to suggest
vtverdohleb is looking for donations only -  as a part of his everyday income was withdrawn at the beginning of the year.  He could of just walked away and us DLink NAS owners would be left with basically a LAN Storage Device
Tom wants his software to be free - yet for most DLink NAS who could use or be interested later won't have the necessary skills to enable Ubooquity to work on their device.

It's a minefield - I understand and accept both sides - I'm just hoping that I've made both sides aware of all the issues, cleared up some concerns and hopefully this can be turned into something positive.