• March 28, 2024, 03:27:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-160 HW B2, Firmware 2.40  (Read 12242 times)

Bobby(Houston)

• Level 1 Member
DWA-160 HW B2, Firmware 2.40
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:08:33 PM »

Hi,
I have the Subject adapter installed and the unit will drop out while on the internet and I loose my connection. The LED is off when this adapter stops working. I then unplug and then re-plug in the adapter and I get my connection back.
I am using the USB extension that was supplied as well as using the rear port USB terminal of my desktop. I also have the latest driver installed.
I am running Windows 7 64 Bit professional.

I would appreciate any help w/ this.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DWA-160 HW B2, Firmware 2.40
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

Did the adapter work for a while and this is just now happening or has it dropped connectivity since you first installed it?

Does it drop consistently with Internet connection or is it random?

What model router or extender is it connecting to?

1. Try a different USB port

2. Try it without the USB extender

Bobby(Houston)

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »

Hi Thank you for responding to my questions

Did the adapter work for a while and this is just now happening or has it dropped connectivity since you first installed it?
Answer: It seemed to drop out from when I first installed it.

Does it drop consistently with Internet connection or is it random?
Answer: It appears to drop our randomly. Sometine I disconnect and re-connect the USB adapter and it comes back on-line. Other times I have to cold boot my outer.

What model router or extender is it connecting to?
Answer: ATT 5268AC gateway router w/ range extender

Try a different USB port
Answer: Tried  this and didn't help

Try it without the USB extender
Answer: Tried  this and didn't help

I have my desktop on the floor and had the adapter sitting on top of my desktop cabinet. I moved the USB w/ extender to the top of
my work desk and seems to be working better but not sure. I am only 20ft from my gateway so I would not think this distance would be a problem.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »

Does the adapter have any trouble finding wireless networks and connecting to them right away?

Does this happen while you are actively using it or does it drop after being idle? 

If this happens when being idle or computer goes into sleep mode, try disabling any power saving settings referring to USB ports. You may also want to check your BIOS settings on your computer to see if there are USB settings there. I know many people have issues when the computer comes out of sleep/hibernation mode. The USB port sometimes gets turned off and some USB devices have trouble waking up (thus unplugging the USB adapter and plugging it back it fixes it).

If it just randomly drops while you are say browsing the internet then there may be a hardware issue with the adapter, or maybe something with the router/extender working with the adapter.

Wi-Fi is VERY sensitive. Moving your router 6 inches can improve the connection. Make sure no appliances, metal, fish tanks, mirrors, etc are between the adapter and the router. Make sure both have at least 3 feet of clearance around the antennas.

Bobby(Houston)

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »

Does the adapter have any trouble finding wireless networks and connecting to them right away?
Answer: Not at all.

Does this happen while you are actively using it or does it drop after being idle?
Answer: No Happens while surfing the internet

If it just randomly drops while you are say browsing the internet then there may be a hardware issue with the adapter, or maybe something with the router/extender working with the adapter.
Answer: Happened before I added the extender. Also this is my second DWA-160. I previously had a DWA-140. I purchasd the 160 to get the dual band operation.

Wi-Fi is VERY sensitive. Moving your router 6 inches can improve the connection. Make sure no appliances, metal, fish tanks, mirrors, etc are between the adapter and the router. Make sure both have at least 3 feet of clearance around the antennas.
Answer:  Ok Thank you for the help. As I said before the USB adapter used to sit on top of my desktop cabinet. I now moved it to the top of my desl under my monitor and have not seen the problem since.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »

Nice. glad it is working now.