• April 18, 2024, 07:47:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SCHEDULER BUG V2 ... Lost all event after shutdown  (Read 11969 times)

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
SCHEDULER BUG V2 ... Lost all event after shutdown
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

I notice one thing today. After my router crash, i shut down the NAS the wrong way (power of the powerbar). I start it later, shutdown the nas from the menu, restart it, change IP setting (click and Manual, after click on automatic, and finaly click on save, so the NAS think i made some change, and re-assign the new IP), shutdown from the menu, and power-up after.

I notice this : all my scheduler event diseaper !
i only having 5 events, and these event are copy from Drive_1 to Drive_2 (from specific folder to another specific folder).

Is it normal that the NAS lost their config ?
Is it something that will be fixed in the latest version of firmware (when i mean fixed, i mean not remove the scheduler) ?

Firmware Version: 1.03
Cfg : Drive_1 is 320Go, Drive_2 is 500Go.

monitor35

• Level 1 Member
Re: SCHEDULER BUG V2 ... Lost all event after shutdown
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »

I've seen that behaviour too, after a power outage where the device was shut down very ungracefully.

:(

monitor35

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:53 AM »

And now I've seen it again, on the 1.05 firmware.
This is without a doubt, the most unpolished, bug riddled appliance I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing.
From day to day, I never can trust that it is going to behaving as expected.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »

Let me see if I understand this correctly - you're call the device bugridden and blaming it for losing your settings after you failed to shut it down correctly?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »

Yes we are aware if you do not power the device down properly the setting in Downloads will reset to default. We are currently looking this issue. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

Let me see if I understand this correctly - you're call the device bugridden and blaming it for losing your settings after you failed to shut it down correctly?
Hmm.. let thinking about this. My NAS are directly connect to an UPS (APC 1000VA), and most of the time, this NAS are alone on the UPS.

Now let thinking their is a power interuption for 2 hours... unfortunitly, the NAS cannot be control by the UPS... what happen next ? UPS run out of power... and shutdown the NAS not properly.

If in a future release of the firmware, DLINK add support for UPS (like some other NAS product), we can connect the NAS to it, and it will shutdown properly after electrical power problems...

So, my WISHLIST : support UPS.

monitor35

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 06:31:49 AM »

Fordem, I am not blaming the DNS-323 for losing my settings because I did not shut it down gracefully. I am blaming the DNS-323 for losing settings settings because it does not respond well to ordinary situations like power interruptions, where it might not have the luxery of getting shut down gracefully. If I need the NAS shut off, I will do so gracefully. However, I don't get to predict when the power will go off, and when the UPS will be exhausted.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »

You know - if power interruptions were really "ordinary situations" - as they are for me, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because you would have taken the steps necessary to protect youself - as I have done.

In the last 30 days, I've had 25 outages (one of my UPSs - I have more than one - has monitoring software that keeps statistics), my DNS-323 is fed from a UPS and is shutdown under control from a PC, that runs a script.

When the power fails, the UPS sends a signal to the PC which after five minutes without power, initiates an orderly shutdown sequence which includes shutting doen the DNS-323 before turning itself & the UPS off.

My point is - just in case it is not clear - that you should not blame the manufacturer of the equipment for the things that go wrong when you don't do what you need to do.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »

You know - if power interruptions were really "ordinary situations" - as they are for me, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because you would have taken the steps necessary to protect youself - as I have done.

In the last 30 days, I've had 25 outages (one of my UPSs - I have more than one - has monitoring software that keeps statistics), my DNS-323 is fed from a UPS and is shutdown under control from a PC, that runs a script.

When the power fails, the UPS sends a signal to the PC which after five minutes without power, initiates an orderly shutdown sequence which includes shutting doen the DNS-323 before turning itself & the UPS off.

My point is - just in case it is not clear - that you should not blame the manufacturer of the equipment for the things that go wrong when you don't do what you need to do.
First, the script you create are not documented on the orignal manufacture documentation.
Second : I try to do a little to help our planet : not keek unnecessary equipment running. The NAS use less power thant the computer. When i need the computer, i open it. In fact, my computer are closed 70 % of the time. My NAS now download stuff with the bittorent client. I don't need a PC anymore.

I was expecting UPS support because my previous NAS (a Buffalo) was supporting UPS, so it was very well protected from the normal power outtage.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 07:38:24 AM »

I was expecting UPS support because my previous NAS (a Buffalo) was supporting UPS, so it was very well protected from the normal power outtage.

That is what is known as an incorrect expectation - nowhere in the documentation or packaging does it suggest that the unit supports UPS shutdown, and whilst it is a desirable feature, it is, by no means a mandatory requirement on a NAS, and this is not the only low cost NAS which I have seen that does not have it.

Another very desirable feature that the DNS-323 lacks is some form of auto power-on, which would allow it to power up when the UPS comes back on, when utility power is restored - but again - whilst being desirable, it is not mandatory.

Yes - or rather - no - my script is not documented in the original manufacturer's documentation - why should it be - it's my script, and it runs on a server that is running 24/7 (power permitting)

monitor35

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »

fordem:
Your response is antagonistic and unreasonable. Workarounds are easy. I could have it run off a portable generator, hooked up to a satellite phone which would call me to bring it a flux capacitor.
I do not need to provide my home electronics with colocation-esque facilities to counter against it losing its memory during a power outage. My fridge knows what temperature it should come to when it gets plugged in. My oven knows what 350 degrees feels like when it's plugged in. My car knows how fast 80km/h is when I turn it on. Kind of important to have these things operate without needing to reprogram them every day.
DLink is aware of the issue, and are looking to address it. That is, it is very obviously not the desired behaviour, and Dlink will try to make it behave a little more traditionally. Maybe when they put out a firmware update you won't want to patch it though, since you're so pleased with your workaround.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:04:06 AM »

Monitor35 : Yes !... you describe correctly the situation ...

When the NAS shutdown, we lost all schedule FTP download/upload... i'm not aware about the Bittorent Up/Down behaviour after a power outage....

Let's hope to see at least, one of these after the next firmware ...
- UPS support
- Auto check/recovery drive after power outage
- not lost anything (schedule task) after power outage...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

fordem:
Your response is antagonistic and unreasonable. Workarounds are easy. I could have it run off a portable generator, hooked up to a satellite phone which would call me to bring it a flux capacitor.
I do not need to provide my home electronics with colocation-esque facilities to counter against it losing its memory during a power outage. My fridge knows what temperature it should come to when it gets plugged in. My oven knows what 350 degrees feels like when it's plugged in. My car knows how fast 80km/h is when I turn it on. Kind of important to have these things operate without needing to reprogram them every day.
DLink is aware of the issue, and are looking to address it. That is, it is very obviously not the desired behaviour, and Dlink will try to make it behave a little more traditionally. Maybe when they put out a firmware update you won't want to patch it though, since you're so pleased with your workaround.

Does your gas range or microwave oven know what time it is when power is restored after a power outage - or do you have to reprogram them?  Are you complaining to GE about it?  I know VCRs are old technology, but I assume you had one of those, did you not have to reprogram it on a daily basis to "download" the shows you wanted to tape?  Some expectations are reasonable, others are not.

What you should expect is the device to function as advertised in a normal operating environment - if it fails to do so in an abnormal environment, then it is the enviroment that needs to be corrected.

DLink can choose to add functionality if they so desire - but you need to recognize that they do so at their discretion and they are under no obligation - which is why although I have indicated that I consider UPS support (amongst other things) to be desirable, I have found my own solution.  Quite obviously, with outages here as frequent as they are, my need for that feature is greater than most, hence my need to find an immediate solution rather than wait on D-Link.

BTW - I do run mine off of a portable generator - when the need arises - so your attempt at being ridiculous is not as far fetched as you might think - perhaps I should be asking D-Link to make it run off of solar power instead, that way I cut shut the generator off, and make use of the abundant sunshine that we are blessed with.

bspvette86

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »

BTW - I do run mine off of a portable generator - when the need arises - so your attempt at being ridiculous is not as far fetched as you might think - perhaps I should be asking D-Link to make it run off of solar power instead, that way I cut shut the generator off, and make use of the abundant sunshine that we are blessed with.

Fordem,
Since you are now using solar power, perhaps you should add a contingency plan for an outage at night, a flock of birds strafing your solar array while releaving themselves, a dust storm, or a solar eclipse. 

Talk about absurd.  This is a home product.  How many people have an enterprise class backup power system in their homes....

::)
BV

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 04:33:06 PM »

In Quebec, Canada, more than you think...
In Canada and USA, it's full of "large enterprise".
In Quebec (Canada), it's full of "PME"  (Little and Middle enterprise). These little PME don't realy have the necessary fund for a commercial equipement. You will be surprise that some enterprise don't have any backup plan (and no backup at all).

For those like me who work for a large enterprise (for me, it's a government agency), i expect to see, at least, some degree of good design in home product, like some of their competitor. If i want cheap stuff, i would probably purchase no-name stuff on e-bay, direclty from china.

Before using my first NAS, i was using "FREENAS" software on one of my older PC. I move to Buffalo NAS, and when DLINK create the DNS-323, i jump to this model !
I choose to move from Buffalo NAS (1 Disk only) to this model for 1 reason : The OS reside on a chips for DLINK, and on the drive for Buffalo. So if the Drive Fail on Buffalo, you're NAS are gone (unless you perform some trick to re-create the OS on a new hardrive). For the DLINK, without drive, the OS are there... so if i loose both drive, i don't loose the enclosure !
But, regarding the fact the the Buffalo having these deficiency, it have support fo UPS (on some model) and printserver (on other model). I don't know if they can support both, but having the choise between Printserver and UPS, my choice will be "UPS" ....
Pages: [1] 2