• April 19, 2024, 07:27:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 bringing down entire network with new Seagate Drive  (Read 2988 times)

_godwin

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 bringing down entire network with new Seagate Drive
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »

Hi all, I just purchased a new Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green hard drive (specifically this one)but it seems that having the drive active on the network for more than a few minutes causes the whole network to go down. I am able to access both the host and the drive on the network for a few minutes. After that both become accessible and a few minutes later my network crashes, that is, I lose access to the internet and all other network devices. To recover I need to reboot my gateway device (Cisco DPC3825). The 2TB drive is the second drive to be put into the machine, I have been running another 1TB drive for a few years now without much problem. It was formatted in dingle drive mode.

I realize that this drive is not on the list of confirmed drives on this forum but does anyone have any ideas that might be able to tell me if this is just not going to work at all?

Also I would like to add in case there are any admins here, in case you are not aware, the registration for forums is down. There is a javascript error which keeps the 'register' button from ever being enabled. I had to perform a little chrome console magic in order to get in myself but most users probably will not know how to do that.

Thanks!

_godwin

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 bringing down entire network with new Seagate Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »

I should probably add some of the troubleshooting steps and observations I have already taken:
  • The device does stay online and works perfectly if either of the two drives are in the unit alone (yes, even the new drive).
  • When both are in the device for an extended period, after the network goes down, the 2TB drive feels cool but the old 1TB drive is very hot.
  • Looking at my gateway, the device appears under two IP addresses.

*Boy this site is just full of JS errors, every keystroke fires off another.

_godwin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »

After working on the issue for two days I may have solved it two hours after asking my question. I tried switching the drives so that the 2TB is now in slot 1 and the 1TB is now in slot 2. I also made the IP static. The network has been stable for 30 mins which I think is much longer than before, so I will report back if there are more issues but why this solved the problem is beyond me. It's a little annoying because I had number of references for backing up computer drives onto "Volume_1" which is now "Volume_2" but there are bigger problems in the world than that.

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »

For what it is worth, the new drive is an Advanced Format disk and I think these drives should be formatted using the beta firmware 1.10b7.  I have heard this very important if running RAID 1 with two AFT disks.  After the disk is formatted, you can return to firmware 1.08 or 1.09.