• April 24, 2024, 08:24:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: With regret - returning the DNS-323  (Read 4152 times)

alanbrowne

• Level 1 Member
With regret - returning the DNS-323
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »

Lacking the ability to have mixed permissions from public to other, I can't use the 323.

Further, during a massive data copy (180 GB) the transfer always dies (ioErr), (many attempts and it crashes somewhere around 80 - 120 GB - never the same place or file).  This may or may not be the -323, I just don't know.

So I'm returning the system to Best Buy.  Looks like the more expensive Drobo will be ordered (which does not come in a less expensive 2 bay solution, alas).

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: With regret - returning the DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »

Too bad it didn't work out for you. Personally, the permission issue is not a problem for me or my devices.

Just as an FYI, when I first got my DNS323 a couple months back now, I had no issues copying 700GB of data/files to the unit. It took a while (10/100 not 1000) but ran fine.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »

Lacking the ability to have mixed permissions from public to other, I can't use the 323.

Further, during a massive data copy (180 GB) the transfer always dies (ioErr), (many attempts and it crashes somewhere around 80 - 120 GB - never the same place or file).  This may or may not be the -323, I just don't know.

So I'm returning the system to Best Buy.  Looks like the more expensive Drobo will be ordered (which does not come in a less expensive 2 bay solution, alas).
I don't understand your post???

Are you asking for help in an indirect way? Or are you just advising us that you are returning it? If so then whats the point here?  ???

nm9p

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »

I think it's called....feedback to the company so they know how a segment of their potential customers are or are not being served.  It could be helpful for prioritizing future updates.

Ken - NM9P

I don't understand your post???

Are you asking for help in an indirect way? Or are you just advising us that you are returning it? If so then whats the point here?  ???

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »

If I could I would return my DNS323, but I have had it a little to long for that, I am still running v1.04 firmware and will not update the firmware until this problem is fixed (and I call it a problem). So I am stuck with not being able to upgrade my drives or get the AV server benefits of the new firmware.

I am looking at other NAS devices as I don't think D-link will fix this problem in the near future!
It would be nice if D-link could let us know what there thinking is about this problem and if there is any chance that it will be fixed.

Rodney

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:04:35 AM »

If I could I would return my DNS323, but I have had it a little to long for that, I am still running v1.04 firmware and will not update the firmware until this problem is fixed (and I call it a problem).

If you are talking about the permissions issues... then you can safely upgrade to v1.06
It still works in v1.06...