• April 25, 2024, 05:43:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Help  (Read 7207 times)

Morg769

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Help
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:36:28 PM »

Hi
I am tring to set up my DNS-323 on Windows 7. I can not get the Easy Search Utility to connect to the . I downloaded Ver. 1.7 and 1.8 and tried maping the network drives in windows 7 with no luck. I have it working on my laptop with XP. Can any one tell me how to install it on Windows 7?

klein

• Level 3 Member
Re: DNS-323 Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »

you don't need the easy search utility, if you know the ip address of your nas, then go to windows explorer, click tools, map network drive, select the drive letter and then type \\ip address of nas\volume_1 and it should connect ...

if you have 2 disks instead and they are not in raid or jbod then you will also have a volume_2 which you can map the same way just use volume_2 instead of volume_1

let us know how you make out

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:17:26 AM »

For mapping, use the NAS name and not the IP address, which can change if you reboot your router.  You can also assign a static IP address to the DNS-323, which will solve any ambiguity issues.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:23:28 AM »

A static IP for any type of server or NAS device is really the way to go. Personally, I've never bothered with the search util.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:31:10 AM »

All my server devices, network printers and NAS boxes are static IP configuration as well.  I also have never loaded the search utility or the drivers supplied, don't even know what the drivers are supposed to do for you. :D

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »

I agree with the static IP - it is the only way to go.

As for why you can't map using WIndows 7 - do you have a firewall running?  If so try disabling it and then try to map the drive. 

Wiggs,
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

Medicguy1366

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »

I found that Windows 7 does not install a device driver for the DNS-323 and that you must manually install it.  Go to your device manager in Windows 7 and check to see if there is an error indicating the driver is not installed for the device.  Download the driver from the Dlink Site (not the firmware!), double click on the error in your device manager and go to the Driver tab.  Choose Update Driver and direct it to the driver software folder you just downloaded from Dlink.  Windows 7 should now install the driver poperly afterwhich the device can be mapped properly.  Good luck~!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »

I have three Windows 7 machines, and I've never installed any drivers for the DNS-323 or DNS-321, either manually or automatically.  I have no problem accessing the NAS drives and mapping to a drive letter.

I have no idea what you're referring to here.

Where do you even find the DNS-323 in Device Manager?  It's a network device, and appears nowhere in my Device Manager!

Medicguy1366

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Hi Gun,  I'm just speaking from personal experience hoping to help the other user.  When I first hooked up the device I thought I could access it by opening Network and double clicking on the Dlink icon.  When I double clicked the Dlink icon for the first time in Network, Windows 7 attempted to install a driver for the device but failed.  That process put a flagged icon in my Device Manager indicating that a driver had not been installed.  I then installed the driver from the Dlink site following the process I posted earlier.  My Device Manager now shows the 323 is installed properly under Disk Drives as D-Link Network Storage Controller.  It also changed the Icon of the 323 in my Network folder to properly show what the device looks like as it was a generic icon before the driver install.  Now when I double click on Computer on my desktop the 323 is listed there as a Network location.  I'm sure that if I had just mapped the drive properly from the beginning I could have avoided what I went through but seeing as how it happened to me, it may happen to others. ;)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »

As near as I can tell, the only thing the driver might do for you is change the Icon in Networks.  Interestingly enough, if I ask Win7 for a network map in the Network and Sharing Center, it displays customized icons for the DNS-321 and DNS-323, and I never installed anything to make that happen.  It's curious that it doesn't use them in Networks, maybe that's what the driver does. ;)  It displays the generic "computer" icon in Networks on my Win7 systems.  I don't routinely map a drive letter for the NAS, so it doesn't appear in My Computer, but I have mapped a drive letter to it in the past.  I used the standard Windows drive mapping feature to do so, again no drivers required.  I also access the DNS-323 from the Windows XP Mode virtual machine under Win7, and that works just fine as well.  I have mapped a couple of drive letters in the VM, no drivers required for XP either.

I personally am against loading unnecessary drivers, they can only cause you grief for the most part.  This unit should work just fine with nothing but Windows.

Medicguy1366

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »

Gun I agree with you 100%.  If I would have mapped the drive properly from the beginning it would not have been an issue.  Having created the "Unknown Device" in my Device Manager my goal was to correct it.  Installing the driver did just that.  Cheers~!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »

It's really odd that happened, I can't imagine why a network device would even make an impact on Device Manager!  Could this the the UPnP part of the equation?  I don't use the multi-media features, perhaps that's where the driver comes in?