• March 28, 2024, 11:28:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Failed and rebuilding  (Read 8434 times)

mdg

• Level 1 Member
Failed and rebuilding
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »

This morning after I powered on - I got an email "Volume_1 HDD degraded.//Left Hard Drive Has Failed" - later on I powered off and on and it appears to be rebuidling - estimate time 230 minutes. Does that mean it erases and completely rebuilds the drive?

Two 1.5 terr drives - 6 years old. This NAS is used as a daily backup for important files off my desktop

If I put a new drive in - how do I ensure that I don't lose data off the old but good drive?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Failed and rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

I don't know where you are with this but I do hope you have a good backup of all your data, you might well need it.

Normally when you get such a message the first thing to do is check you have everything backed up.  Then power off the unit and remove the failed drive.  Replace it with a new one if you have it to hand and power on again and the RAID array will rebuild if it is set to auto rebuild.

If you don't have a replacement drive to hand leave the slot empty when you power the unit on again (you can continue using the unit and adding data in this state and it will be added to the new drive when the array is rebuilt).

What you have done by powering on with the old drive still in place is to possibly lose some of you data because the rebuilding tries to make the drives the same and if it can't write to parts of the old disk it may delete parts of the good disk to make them equal, hence my first statement about a good current backup.