• May 07, 2024, 08:32:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Where did my 320L go????  (Read 3021 times)

cogsman

• Level 1 Member
Where did my 320L go????
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »

Ok, so this is a pain in the butt beyond anything I can imagine. Here is my dilemma:

Windows 10
8GB Ram
2 Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives
Raid 1

I did the install, and I can access the drive only through the Web UI
Since I can't upload folders through Web UI it's of no use to me (and I don't intend to FTP anything to the drive)
I cannot map the drive, no matter what I try
I'm choosing MAP DRIVE and entering \\192.168.x.x/Volume_1 (x's are the correct IP as reported by my router and I can access using the Web UI as I said)
I keep getting error messages

I have set the drive with a reserved IP through the router

The blue power LED would go off after a few minutes but the drive indicators would stay lit blue.

It doesn't appear on My PC, doesn't show up in Device Manager.

I had flashed the Firmware to 1.06

I had force installed an unsigned driver that came with the most current setup download, then let Windows install an updated driver.

This is driving me nuts!

I haven't put anything of value on the drive yet. What should I do? Is there a way to start as if it was the first power-up? I tried Factory Reset using the button on the base but that doesn't do it.

FYI I am also running a Windows 7 PC and it cannot map the drive either
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:18:12 PM by cogsman »

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
Re: Where did my 320L go????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:15:14 AM »

Go to mydlink.com or check your install cd's - there's a Windows Storage Utility that should help map the NAS

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:30:45 AM »

I can't talk about win 10, we don't have a copy but I suppose we will have to get one the way MS are pushing it out to SMBs that are using win 7.

Assuming you have  turned on SMB/CIFS on your NAS use your win 7 box and open windows explorer, scroll down (if necessary) to 'Network' and expand it.  There you should find DLINK-xxxxxx (the xxxxxx will be a series of letters and numbers) this is your nas box.  Expand this and you should see Volume_1, expand that and there are your folders (at least this is what we see on out win 7 test machine running in a vBox virtual machine).

You may not see the NAS for several reasons.  The main one is that the nas is on a different subnet to the computer but you have checked that by setting a fixed IP on your router.  The next thing is the workgroup - the nas defaults to 'workgroup' while win 7 defaults to 'Homegroup' in which case they will not see each other (I don't know what win 10 defaults to but if it an upgrade of win 7 then I assume it will be 'Homegroup' as well.

There are a few other odd things that can prevent a NAS from being seen by a computer but those are the most common.
1) the SMB/CIFS service not started on the NAS
2) the NAS and computer on different subnets of the network
3) the NAS and computer not in the same workgroup.

Check those and if you still can't setup and map the NAS Volume_1 as a drive then we will have to dig deeper.

cogsman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »

I am in a Windows Explorer session, and I see the dlink-xxxx under Storage. However I don't know what you mean by "expand"? If I right click I can only see options to view Properties or View Device Webpage.

I appreciate that you're running in a virtual machine; I'm not.

My subnet is 255.255.255.0 which as far as I can tell is the same as everywhere else.

How do I check if SMB/CIFS is enabled, and how do I start it if it's not?

In addition, per the other response, I tried using the Windows Storage Utility but it does not find the drive.

Note that I CAN see it now, I just can't map it. It is also visible to my PS3 and XBOX.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:19:08 AM »

Sorry if I was not as clear as I could have been.

By expand it I mean click on the little triangle to the left of the dlink-xxxxxx entry.  This should cause the Volume_1 to appear and, if you have ant folders on that there will be another little triangle beside it, click on that triangle to see the folders (if you have set a username and password for that share you will be asked to enter it and if you don't want to keep typing in your password click on the remember box).

To check on what accounts you have available on the NAS, log in using the web UI and go to 'Management' --> 'Account Management'.  You should also have a look in the manual under  'Account Management' - 'Users/Groups' to give you an idea of what is available and how to setup each one.

cogsman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »

I was able to do what you suggested on the Win 7 machine and it worked. The Dlink showed up on the left side under Network. I did not need to make any additional modifications to the users or groups or what have you.

On my windows 10 machine, the Dlink does not appear under Network, so I cannot do the same thing. Here is a screenshot:

It does not appear under Network on the Win 10 machine, but it does on the Win 7 machine.

cogsman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

Also, for whatever reason, the drive is now appearing in Device Manager (no idea what I did or didn't do to change that). I tried to update the driver using the latest download from Dlink, but here is the error I get.

Originally, it was under Digital Media Devices, but as soon as the .inf update failed, it dropped down to Disk Drives with the warning triangle.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »

The good news is that since you can see the NAS box in win 7 everything is set up correctly.

The bad news is that win 10 is a PITA not just for you (that is the first time I have seen any flavour of windows wanting to install a driver for a NAS box).  The other thing you are not alone, a short while ago I got a call from my guy doing night shift that one of our clients has problems with the full backup of their office computers.  It appears that they have now updated from win 7 to win 10 and can no longer access the network or any of the NAS boxes used for backup so Monday, I and most of my staff will be there re-imaging the computers back to win 7 and trying to save what we can of Saturday mornings work - a job we didn't anticipate or want.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »

Just an idea for users with problems with Windows 10, maybe keep 1 PC loaded with Windows 7 on hand until Windows 10 is more understood and can be correctly used in these scenarios.  ::)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »

At least there is one very small advantage gained from the attack of the borg - we get a copy of win 10 to play with.  From what we have seen so far we are not impressed with their SMB/CIFS implantation or much of the networking apart from the almost manic attempts to connect to the internet.

More later. 

Edit:
This is something my service manager found, it might or might not help but it is worth a read.
http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/7386-cant-see-other-computers-workgroup-windows-10-computer-9.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:22:28 PM by ivan »