• April 23, 2024, 09:55:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File Limitations Usinf Built In FTP  (Read 3631 times)

clubincdj

• Level 1 Member
File Limitations Usinf Built In FTP
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

Found a BUG? in the FTP software built into the DNS-343. The unit will ONLY display the first 2000 files. So if you have 2001 files in the folder you're out of luck... [exploitive deleted] if you think about all the people that have giant music and movie collections. Even the CHEAPEST (FREE) FTP software will show all the files.

Another thing is, there is no security built in to this device, no anti-hacking feature (IP blocking) for failed login attempts making this device ****e to hackers and stolen data. The competitor who makes a similar unit seems to have these bugs worked out... any thoughts????
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:35:04 AM by clubincdj »

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: File Limitations Usinf Built In FTP
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »

My first question would be, Why is your unit accessible to the internet? Your security flaws are slightly misplaced.

If you have a router your IP blocking should be at your router and not when the intruder is already in your network.

2000 is not a BUG it is a limitation for 'anti-flooding' of your ftp server. I too have 10's of thousands of Music files however I find it easier to navigate by organzing my files by dates/years/artists/albums especially when you have one artist with 5+ cd's it gets kind of messy haveing track 01 - 5 times in a row. We can look at changing this marker to a higher limitation but it is

clubincdj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:06:40 PM »

Weak answer. You HAVE to have port 21 exposed to the internet to use FTP server. THE FREE FTP software has this built in... And FTP flooding???? Are you serious? Or is it that you guys didn't give this box enough memory to save on costs...

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »

Your posts are borderline flaming.

This is a support forum and regardless as to how you feel, your question has been answered.

There is no device level IP blocking, more configurations for FTP will be added in the near future, and you have the option to forward a port different than port 21 to keep people from scanning the common port openings by using port forwarding through your router and changing the port in the interface of the device.

Please keep your posts constructive.