• March 28, 2024, 02:28:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: RAID 5 with Seagate 1.5TB drives (drives' full capacity not used)  (Read 8520 times)

Malko

• Level 1 Member

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and this is my first post.
I have 4 Seagate 1.5TB (ST31500341AS) drives in my DNS-343 (firmware 1.02A) that I'm trying to configure in RAID 5. All my drives have been updated with latest firmware.

This is the message I receive: "Create a Raid based on the minimum space of the existing drives, the remaining space will become JBOD(Linear) Volume."

Why is that all drives' space is not used in RAID 5? Isn't the firmware 1.02A supposed to fully work with these drives?

Thanks for your reply and/or comment.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: RAID 5 with Seagate 1.5TB drives (drives' full capacity not used)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »

Did you type in the number of available GB? Type that in the field and there will be 0 listed for remaining jbod space meaning it will only create the raid.

Malko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »

I have no option to type in the space I want.
Thanks.

Malko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »

Hello, no reply yet! Anybody?
I still can't configure the DNS-343 with 4 1.5TB drives at full capacity in RAID 5 with the latest firmware.

Thanks.

yardie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

Click on Custom Configuration under the Hard Drive configuration section and follow the prompts.  You should get a prompt after selecting RAID 5 and clicking next.

Malko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »

Yardie, thanks so much for your help. I got the option to key in the desired space and the volume is being formatted now. 2% completed in less than 5 minutes; not bad.

yardie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »

Let me know your results after the format is complete.  I have the same configuration and I was ble to format the drives but the space available was only about 200 Gigs although the web gui report I had 4 TB volume.  One of the drives had a NTFS partition which may be causing me a problem.  My next action to try to fix this is to remove all the drives from the Nas, format and delete any partitions found using gparted on my PC.
Another strange thing is that I format the drive for RAID 5 using the maximum space but I still ended up with two volumes. 
I will update you on my results later today.

regards

Malko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »

I'll let you know for sure. Formatting is at 85%; I didn't expect it to take that long.
My drives are all new (no existing partition), so I expect to have a volume of 4.5TB.

Thanks again.

Malko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:19:35 AM »

Yardie (and D-Link technical support), a strange thing happened.
The formating was stucked at 94% when I went to bed last night (after many hours); this morning, I see 74%.
It seems that the formating restarted without any intervention  ???
Overall, the format has been going on for almost 24H so far.
When I log into the device (Web interface), I'm welcomed with the "HARD DRIVE CONFIGURATION" page.

Anybody experienced this?

yardie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »

Yes, I experienced the same thing.  Just do the configuration again and it will be done in about 45 minutes.  I had the same problem but everything is now okay.  I am now copying about 250 gigabytes at about 12 Megabytes per second.
I think my original problem was that one of my drives had a NTFS partition before I installed it in the NAS.  Last night I removed all the drives, used gparted on my PC to delete the partitions from the drives, and reinstalled and reconfigured the drives in the NAS....and I had to congiure the drives twice becuase of the 94% complete problem.

Malko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:01 AM »

You were right, the format completed the second time.
I'll start the transfert now and will report here any future issue.

Thanks again Yardie for the great support. You should work for D-Link  ;)

oblio211

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:37:03 PM »

I am having the same problem with my 1.5TB Seagate drives.  I created a custom RAID 5 array and choose the max size but when it finishes it shows one Vol with 4 TB max.  I gparted all the drives (deleted and formatted as ent3) and tried again, same thing.  Did it again and now it completes with two volumes 4 TB and 300+ GB on Vol 2 even though I set it as custom raid 5 with max size.  I am running 1.02A.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

kjsalchow

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:29:14 AM »

I had the 94% issue, but I'm still stuck with only 94GB on a single volume.  I didn't get a second volume, I don't have access to the entire drives.  the 343 reports 87GB usable.  This sucks.

I've checked all the firmware--drives are good, 343 is at latest non-beta.  I've wiped the drives (even though they were new) and still have the same problem.  I've done the 'custom' RAID 5 and was allowed to enter 4494GB allocated to the RAID--and when it is done, I get 94GB.

Any thoughts?

JaLooNz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 01:29:31 AM »

Use the betas...