• March 28, 2024, 05:40:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Formats  (Read 5480 times)

JmsRyan

• Level 1 Member
Formats
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »

Any chance the firmware will ever be updated to play more current file formats (e.g., not all WMV formats work)?
Is the DSM-750 any better?

JohninLA

• Level 1 Member
Re: Formats
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »

There hasn't been a firmware update in years for the 520. I think DLink has stopped all support for this model. I'm not sure about the 750, but I just picked up a WDTV Live from Costco, and it's great. It plays any file I've thrown at it, the fast forward and rewind work, not perfectly, but much better than the 520. Also the firmware is available to hack, and there's programmers out there that have created some good features that weren't provided in the original firmware.

I still use my 520, but I don't expect any further enhancements or improvements by DLink.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »

Any chance the firmware will ever be updated to play more current file formats (e.g., not all WMV formats work)?
Is the DSM-750 any better?

Although a firmware update does not seem to be forthcoming, you can always convert your incompatible file formats to a form readable by your DSM-520, albeit with some loss in quality.  Another option is to purchase another D-Link (or third party) media player.  Media players are not the novelty they used to be and today there are many more options to choose from.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »

I would recommend using TVersity media server with the DSM-520 if you are looking for more video support. It can transcode the video on the fly and will provide I wider range of playback.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

JmsRyan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »

Downloaded TVersity...kinda a pain having the media server, PlayOn and TVersity...but, it works.
Just wish NetFlix would stream (wirelessly) better.