• March 18, 2024, 09:55:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Disable DCS-932L Infrared LEDs  (Read 65839 times)

kwsplash

• Level 1 Member
Disable DCS-932L Infrared LEDs
« on: May 25, 2011, 05:54:12 AM »

Just got my first DCS-932L, in addition to 2 existing 920's.  The new camera is being used to monitor my driveway and is pointed out a window.  Works great during the day, but unfortunately the infrared LED's at night are reflecting off the window and blinding the camera.  Can't find any settings that allow for disabling the infrared LEDs, only the single status LED.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Disable DCS-932L Infrared LEDs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:27:24 AM »

The technology used to provide night vision on low-cost consumer grade cameras requires an array of IR illuminators surrounding the lens that emits the red glow you're referring to. More expensive cameras use a higher wavelength of light that is not visible to the human eye, but the camera must be very sensitive (and thus very expensive) to detect this very low light level.

So, to answer your question, if you disable the IR illuminators (i.e. LEDs), you disable the night vision.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:31:02 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

kwsplash

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »

@JavaLawyer:  Thanks, but I am aware of this.  I have no red glow, just the bright white reflection of the IR LEDs against the window.  I know I need IR illumination, but to avoid the blinding reflection, I would like to disable the incorporated IR LEDs in the 932L, and then I'll use an external IR illuminator (big and better) to light the camera recording field of vision and which will not be right next to camera thus avoiding the glare issue.  But in order to do that, I need to disable the LED's.  I was hoping there was a setting, but its starting to seem like I may need to go basic, e.g. electrical tape or something.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »

Looks like electrical tape (or some other mask) is the only sure solution here. There are no user controls for the IR illuminator in the web interface. Another option to try is placing a non-reflective coating on the window.

rjmmoon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:04:55 PM »

You can turn the ir lights. In MyDlink.com, click the the 'Camera Settings' tab, then the 'Camera Web Page' tab. Once connected to the web interface, go to the 'Live Video' tab, and on the bottom, turn off the 'Night Mode'. As a default in case of a power loss, or if you unplug your camera, it will turn on again.
Better method is to set up a schedule for the night mode in the 'Setup' tab, under the 'Day/Night Mode' tab.
Let me know if this helps.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

You can turn the ir lights. . .Once connected to the web interface, go to the 'Live Video' tab, and on the bottom, turn off the 'Night Mode'.

He wants to disable the IR illuminator while night mode is enabled. This functionality is not available through the web interface.

rjmmoon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »

He wants to disable the IR illuminator while night mode is enabled. This functionality is not available through the web interface.

I think he wants to turn off the lights as I described because you get too much reflection back from the window. You can turn off the blinking green 'status' light AND the night lights if you want to.
You can turn off the 'IR illuminator', you just will not get any 'illumination'.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »

I think he wants to turn off the lights as I described because you get too much reflection back from the window. You can turn off the blinking green 'status' light AND the night lights if you want to.
You can turn off the 'IR illuminator', you just will not get any 'illumination'.

The real question here is when "Night Mode" is disabled, will the camera sensor still adjust to the dark and permit night vision (using an external IR illuminator).

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:25:27 AM »

Actually, it seems that the real question as posed by the OP is "Can I turn off the IR LEDs in night mode?"

From the thread discussion, having direct control of the LEDs in any mode would seem to be a better feature, with the default being: daylight-LEDs off, night, LEDs on, and if there is a button to turn LEDs on/off, that would override the default setting that accompanies the mode.  Is there such a feature on the web interface?

-J

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »

From the thread discussion, having direct control of the LEDs in any mode would seem to be a better feature, with the default being: daylight-LEDs off, night, LEDs on, and if there is a button to turn LEDs on/off, that would override the default setting that accompanies the mode.  Is there such a feature on the web interface?

No, this option is not in the web interface (ergo this discussion thread).

The ability to disable the IR illuminator would be a relatively odd feature to have on a consumer grade camera at this price point. The vast majority of users do not use an independent IR illuminator. The option would most likely cause more confusion than good by users accidentally shutting off the integrated IR illuminator and then complaining that "Night Mode" is broken.

kpaulson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »

I ran into the same problem with a reflective window.  I bought some adhesive putty at an office supply store and placed it in a ring just inside the circle of LEDs.  I removed the base and use the putty to mount the camera.  The daytime images are fine and the night images are no longer showing any interference from reflections.  Because the window is so reflective, the images are not very bright but they are considerably better than they were.

I am going to install an external source of IR light when I get a chance.  If you have an external source, you could completely cover up the LEDs with putty.  I believe the top one is a light sensor so you would want to leave that open (don't have access to the camera right now so I can't check).

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:58:17 AM »

I am going to install an external source of IR light when I get a chance.  If you have an external source, you could completely cover up the LEDs with putty.  I believe the top one is a light sensor so you would want to leave that open (don't have access to the camera right now so I can't check).

If you consider the front of the camera as a clock face, then the IR sensors are located at 1, 5, 7, and 10 o'clock, the light sensor is located at 12 o'clock, and the microphone is located at 6 o'clock.

DenisP61

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »

I have the same problem, the infrared LED's at night are reflecting off the window.
I want to open the case to disable the LED, does someone know how to do this.
I buy this camera to monitor the exterior but it was not usable because the light reflect in the windows.
I know the warranty will be void, but I have the choice to open it or buy another brand.  If it works I will buy two more to monitor the exterior.
It will be great if D-Link add an option to activate the night vision without activating the IR LED.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

I have the same problem, the infrared LED's at night are reflecting off the window.
I want to open the case to disable the LED, does someone know how to do this.
I buy this camera to monitor the exterior but it was not usable because the light reflect in the windows.
I know the warranty will be void, but I have the choice to open it or buy another brand.  If it works I will buy two more to monitor the exterior.
It will be great if D-Link add an option to activate the night vision without activating the IR LED.

You can cover the LEDs with electrical tape to prevent the light from coming through.

rjmmoon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »

Just disable the LED's by following these steps:
1. Sign in to mydlink.
2. Click on 'Camera info'.
3. Click on 'Advanced Setting".
4. Log into this area.
5. Click "Live Video" button.
6. Turn "Night Mode" to 'off' position on bottom.
7. Logout of this area.
8. You are done; LED'd are now disabled.
Post here if this works for you!
If you lose power, or unplug the camera, the LED's will default back 'on'; if you want to turn the LED's on at a later time, follow stepsto #6 and turn "Night Mode" to 'on' position.
Pages: [1] 2 3