• April 18, 2024, 07:59:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Help, random pings of lag and internet slowness  (Read 3099 times)

LKDoom

• Level 1 Member
Help, random pings of lag and internet slowness
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »

Hey all,

Thanks in advance.  I'm not a network guru by any means so I'll try to be descriptive as possible.

Situation:
Both my roommate and I get random spikes of lag when gaming and browsing the internets.  We're both connected on the 5 ghz band.  This started happening after I degraded the router from 1.10 back to 1.09.  I tried doing a "factory reset" by pushing in the button on the back of the router and un plugging it, and plugging back in (not sure if thats how you do a factory reset).  Still didn't work.  This never happened before I did the whole upgrade/downgrade to 1.10 and back to 1.09.  Any help would be appreciated!

Details:
What Firmware version is currently loaded? 1.09
What region are you located? Pacific (Sanjose, CA)

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
What ISP Service do you have? Cable (Comcast Blast)
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Wireless Configurations
What wireless modes are you using?  SC enabled, SSID is non-default, PBC and PIN both enabled
What security mode are you using? WPA/WPA2-Personel
What wireless devices do you have connected? I'm using a D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N 300 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter
Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?  No, the router has not been moved nor nothing around it has changed
Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many? There are but we've never had problems in the past
For routers with Smart Connect Technology , try enabling or disabling this feature and test. Under Wireless.  Tried but failed

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Help, random pings of lag and internet slowness
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »

Are there any other 5 Ghz signals around?

You can use an android device and an app such a "WiFI Analyzer" to see if anyone else is nearby and if the channel is the same.
Last I remember, apple blocks these kind of apps.

LKDoom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »

Are there any other 5 Ghz signals around?

You can use an android device and an app such a "WiFI Analyzer" to see if anyone else is nearby and if the channel is the same.
Last I remember, apple blocks these kind of apps.

There could be but both of us have iphones =\, so we can't use the app.  Also, it would be a huge coincidence that right after I updated the firmware, the internet went haywire due to the extra channels.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »

Try power cycling the router... 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »

Upgrade or Downgrade process, follow this:
Link> >FW Update Process

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • For routers with Smart Connect Technology , try disabling this feature and test. Under Wireless.
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:43:54 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.