• April 25, 2024, 05:52:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Write Permission Lost (Win7 & Vista)  (Read 9666 times)

aenimon

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Write Permission Lost (Win7 & Vista)
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »

This morning I noticed that I can seemingly no longer add files to my DNS-323.  Whenever I try to copy something over from either my Windows 7 desktop or Windows Vista laptop I receive the same message...'Destination folder access denied' 'You need permission to perform this action'.  Up until last night I have never had a problem like this.  I can read everything fine though.  I updated to firmware 1.08 about 6 months ago and put in these new drives about a week ago.  I formatted in the EXT3 format this time around as opposed to the EXT2 it used to be.  In response to this permission problem I reset to factory defaults and it seemed to successfull copy one small file...but now it's right back to no permission again.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Here is my NAS info:
2 x WD20EADS (Western Digital 2TB)
Formatted to a single JBOD volume

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: DNS-323 Write Permission Lost (Win7 & Vista)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for your current dilema, but should you recover it, I'd definitely reconsider "Formatted to a single JBOD volume" in the future. This is the most dangerous way to run as it has the most potential for data loss. Of course you may have backups in place or simply don't care about the data, so I could be wrong.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

aenimon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:27:39 AM »

I have a backup in place, so a drive failure is not catastrophic.  I can still access all of my data though on the DNS-323, simply cannot write any new data to the drive (which is obviously unacceptable).  If no one has any suggestions over the next week or so, even though it may be a huge time sink at this point, I'm thinking about updating my firmware to 1.09 and then reformatting my drive to two separate drives in the ext2 format.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »

As far as I know the only difference between 1.08 and 1.09 is cloud backup.

EXT2 vs. 3 doesn't sound like it either, EXT3 adds journalling support at the file system level.

Is there a Mac somewhere in the mix?

Can you create files and folders in the root of Volume_1?

You might also try the "Reset Network Access" button or a factory reset.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:24:23 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

aenimon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »

No Mac's in the mix.
I can not create new folders or files even on the Volume_1 root directory.
I have tried "Restore To Factory Default Settings", which allowed me to copy one file before reverting back to its current state.

I've also just updated to 1.09 since my first post and as you suspected...nothing changed.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »

I wonder what running a scandisk from the web interface would show. Might be worth running manufactures diagnostics on them if that's an option.

daaron

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »

This all of a sudden happened to my DNS-323 today, and I'm at a loss for an explanation. I'd rather not have to start over, so if someone has an explanation for why my raid is suddenly in read-only mode, I'd love to hear it!

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:47:56 AM »

Without further troubleshooting steps it's going to be difficult to explain why.

For file system corruption, you can try the scandisk facility within the 323's web interface. I haven't been able to work out if that actually fixes errors or simply reports them, but is a good place to start.

It is possible that there is physical or mechanical failure. I would verify that your hard drives are healthy by running manufactures diagnostics and long SMART tests on them.

You might also try a factory reset. A factory reset does not wipe the hard drives, but you should always have another backup. Similarly for the "Reset Network Access" button.

aenimon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »

Well, the saga continues... I ran a Scan Disk from within the 323 using it's native scan (I don't have fun_plug, etc.) and the result for my disc health came back FAILED.  Am I missing something?  Is there some sort of log dump where I can see specifically what's wrong?  'Failed' is not very helpful...even which drive is screwed up would be useful info.

daaron

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »

Fixed mine - this is what did it:

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?pid=40644

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »

Well, the saga continues... I ran a Scan Disk from within the 323 using it's native scan (I don't have fun_plug, etc.) and the result for my disc health came back FAILED.  Am I missing something?  Is there some sort of log dump where I can see specifically what's wrong?  'Failed' is not very helpful...even which drive is screwed up would be useful info.

Agree it's not very verbose, but it does indicate drive issue. Time to run some more tests.

CrustyOMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »

What's funny is that I'm looking to make my DNS-323 Read Only!

I don't want to rely on Windows Security, I would love a way to switch my DNS to a Read Only mode to prevent any virus's to access the drives.  The trouble with Windows is... well, let's say there's not enough space available to list all the troubles with Windows!

I wonder if the drives themselves can be jumpered to be Read Only?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »

I wonder if the drives themselves can be jumpered to be Read Only?

...That's a no. It also would likely cause all sorts of issues with the NAS that may need to write data to the disk.